Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 79 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1171
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
First of all, are you using Vegas 6.0c?

yes, i have the 6.0c version..
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #1172
Sponsor: JET DV

Jim, you might also want to check out the newsletters on my website. Especially look at the "Beginner's Corner" series beginning in the 4th issue.
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1173
Major Player

totally cool. It worked like a champ! Thanks.

BTW- is there a good guide to the various codecs that are out there, maybe something that would describe the various changes a person can make - what the various controls mean, and what the effect is on your finished video?

I know that a person could run many tests, but then again, maybe somebody already has.

Thanks again for the help!
Milt Lee
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #1174

There are lots of codec comparisons, but nothing I've seen that's remotely up to date...codecs nowadays are coming out faster than the government spends money.

I've not seen anything that makes comparisons based around various codec controls, that could grow into a huge comparison just on one codec alone.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 20th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1175
Regular Crew

Because saving as stills from Power Point saves each COMPLETE slide, the way I've gone about getting each line from a slide as it's introduced is simply to Print Screen after each line is brought in. PSP has a multiple Print Screen feature, so I expect Photoshop does too.

I then have a series of stills which I can apply linear wipe or other transitions to in Vegas to "simulate" the Power Point presentation.

This doesn't copy the "cheesier" PPt transitions, but personally I think this is a good thing ;)

Wipes are better than slide transitions because the latter displaces the whole slide whilst Wipe just "paints" each new line in.
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #1176
Major Player

thanks guys

Vince
Old November 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #1177
Regular Crew

For whatever it's worth, I use the 4:3 standard template in Vegas with clips from an FX1, VX2000 and Panasonic, for my final product being SD mpeg2 for DVD.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1178
Regular Crew

Vince,

You may also want to look at an application called PPT-100 from Datavideo. This is an application that converts powerpoint shows to a DV stream in real-time. They also have a downloadable demo on their website at http://www.datavideo.us/products/ppt_100_main_page.htm. MSRP on this software is $199.00 US.

Check out some of the gear on the Datavideo site. They make some very cool pieces depending on your need. An no, I am in no way affiliated with them!

Hope it helps!

Lance
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #1179

Well, Shazbot!

I've been with Vegas since v4. I've got the current version of v6. It's like an old friend, sort of.

Now I've got a brand new Sony DSR-400 (which is an absolutely awesome camera), and I capture to Vegas. But I have no camera controls through Vegas. And, worse, I can't burn to tape through it after I edit.

I know this is a camera problem, not a Vegas problem. But I just spent $14 Grand on a camera and accessories, and I can't burn to tape unless I burn through my old XL-1s, then dub to the DSR-400 from the XL-1s.

Any better ideas out there? Please.

Much grass.

PS: The reason I still need to burn to tape is I shoot news features and I take the tape, not a DVD, to the station.

Old November 20th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #1180

Hey Charles, long time-no see.
Congrats on the new cam! It's a sweetheart.
This one's likely a job for the folks at Sony/Madison. You've got firewire enabled in the camera, correct? (It can be turned off)
I know there are a few older DSR products that can't be run correctly from Vegas, but I thought all the newer products were good to go.

[edit] Charles, I was talking to one of the engineers this morning, and he told me they've tested the 400 with Vegas 6c. Are you using the latest build? I should have asked that first.
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:21 AM   #1181
Tourist

Monitoring 1080i HD with LCD?

I've been considering putting together a seperate HD monitor using the 24" Dell DVI monitor and HDLink from Black Magic Designs. What I'm wondering is if I'm working primarily with 1080i footage, how can a progressive scan LCD monitor show this correctly? Am I wasting time and money and losing accuracy with this setup?

Also would it be possible to feed this monitor video from a PC graphics card, or would HDLink be the only way? HDLink seems to take the HD stream via USB. Does Vegas 6 support this?
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM   #1182

Ratzerfratz

Hi, DSE... and thanks for the reply.

In the camera' operating manual, I just found out, it states in black and white you can't burn to tape from an NLE. Bummer. So, I guess now I'm going to have to buy a deck of some kind... then burn to the deck, and dub to tape through the camera. That sucks.

But the camera is so sweet I almost don't mind. I cannot believe how awesome it is in low light conditions, and those 2/3" chips make stunning images. I did a piece for CBS News' Early Show two weeks ago, and they were blown away. (It helped, I must admit, that I shot the stuff with the Aspen Glow in the background behind my subjects.)

Anyway, I don't think there's anything Vegas can do about this problem. Rats.

Old November 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1183

I guess I misunderstood, I thought you couldn't capture from the cam, nor control it during capture. My error.
yeah, those cams are designed to be used as cams, not as decks. PITA sometimes.
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM   #1184
Regular Crew

Audio out of synch when opening project in DVD-A

I'm doing something wrong--either in Vegas or Architect:

Before I render my project, the audio synchs-up perfectly with my video using Vegas 6.
Then I render my video as MPEG 2 and then my audio as AC-3. When I open the project in DVD-A 3.0, the audio is out of synch with the video by approx. 1 to 1 1/2 seconds.

--Dale
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM   #1185

It's probably in your Vegas encoding. By chance, are you using any region or markers to identify the area from which you're encoding? That would help quite a bit, I'd think.
If the start times aren't to the sample accurate, you'll find sync issues are commonplace.
My workflow is to identify the render zone/region, and then create a region using that identified space
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...