Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 106 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1576
Regular Crew

it looks like the screen is all blue? have you tried any chroma keying?

i would use after effects corner pinning

you might be able to do this in your editor

good luck
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1577

Editting M2T transport stream vs Cineform AVI

OK, I'm confused by information I'm getting about the highest quality method to edit HDV. The conventional wisdom seems to be that I should edit m2T files native if I expect cuts only editting. If I intend to do much color correction or special FX, I should convert to the Cineform codec before editting.

Now, I hear that cut editting in Vegas7 does not quantize to the I-frame. If this is true, then re-rendering the entire m2t clip is necessary to redefine the I-frames for the entire clip. Re-rendering any mpeg2 file results in a degraded image quality. The advice is to use an editting software from womble.com to do cuts on a clip, because the womble software quantizes to the nearest I-frame.

Given this info, it would seem that editting native m2t files in vegas7 is still a no-starter, given that the entire m2t clip has to be rerendered...time and an image quality issue.

Am I right?
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #1578

The entire frame needs to be re-rendered; Vegas doesn't have what many apps call "Smart Rendering." That said, Vegas does have a higher accuracy as a result, but accuracy vs speed isn't that important to some folks.
Vegas 7 does cut/seek I frames, however.
All that said, I generally still prefer converting to CineForm or other codec (I wish I could access the Cineform codec via my Xena card) because it holds together much more nicely, and more and more of our delivery is ending up on HDCAM, which requires conversion anyway.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1579

Douglas...

thanx. perhaps in a future release vegas will incorporate smart rendering. it seems like I'm taking a hit, however small, for every render I do. That would be trivial if I could make all my cuts on one pass, however, I find that in my editting workflow, I continue to make cuts only edits until I finally finish the piece. Because playback is never real time in vegas, I have to go out to a playable version to find timing errors, then back into vegas to correct them. It's hard to get the final tempo of the peice without rendering to a playable version. I'm getting into the habit of going straight to HUFFYUV for editting, then back out to mpeg when I'm ready to release. Works nicely, except that all those re-renders really take t~i~m~e.
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1580
Major Player

This is actually a really complex subject and has been talked about a bunch but here is my experience in a nutshell. I've done a bunch of work with the JVC and Vegas and as far as color correcting on the cheap:

Use Vegas secondary preview monitor function and select the "use color management" , "use studio RGB" , "sRGB Color Space Profile" in the Preview Device folder under Prefernces. Then open up some color bars and calibrate your monitor (if you can) or at least see how off it is and use that as a point of reference.

If you want to go out firewire to an external monitor you can't do this in HD - it all gets converted to standard def so any cheap firewire to component converter box will do the job. If you are going to be going to standard def anyway this is probably a good step to check your levels, etc.

Combining these two methods - starting on my dell 2405 via secondary preview and then checking on my little Toshiba NTSC monitor via ADS Pyro AVlink has given me pretty good results. Not perfect but it's pretty cheap :)

Hope this helps...
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #1581
Regular Crew

Just to be clear.

If you have a choice, re-render as few times as possible.

If you can edit in native HDV (from the original captured files) without rendering until your final delivery format, this is best.

Just take a test-pattern, render it to CFHD a few times, and compare it in the scopes to the original pattern. CFHD is a better intermediate format than m2t, but no intermediate is still best.
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #1582
Regular Crew

Any Ideas For Film Motion Blur

Hello everybody!
So, whatever I do, I can't get filmic motion blur with Vegas. The best motion blur ever I used is The Foundry Furnace (for AE), but it takes one whole life for rendering out a footage approx 1 hour. It is REALLY same as any film motion blur, i.e. no any shutter (strobes) or flickering, perfect blurred motion. That's why then on the TV I see very nice look&motion, but I can't get it with Vegas Motion Blur, no matter what adjustment I do.
So, any ideas and suggestions?
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #1583
Trustee

Have you tried RevisionFX ReelSmart Motion Blur?
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1584
Major Player

The corner pinning in after effects worked perfectly! That was the first time I had ever used after effects, so it took me a little while to get it right....but once I had it sussed out it worked as planned.
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #1585
Regular Crew

Great! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'll try the ADS Pyro. That seems to be even cheaper than the Canopus gadgets I saw.

Thanks, Burk.

Stephen H
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #1586
New Boot

Hi Will,

Sony got back to me and other than telling me to update all my drivers and stuff (which I have), offered no other solution.

Had to transfer my projects over to a friend's edit suite to finish them off :(.
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #1587
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Yes, of course, it is little faster, but not better result than Furnace. Shuttering and strobing still remain.
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #1588
Inner Circle

I got a reply from Sony today, yep, it was another lame reply from Sony.

I'm not at my home to quote it, but their reply was something like, '2 gig of ram may help performance but we would advise you to close down background processes.' To which I replied, ummm, thanks for the useless reply to my question.

I asked them point blank if the rendering of veg files has the same ram limitations as Vegas rendering avi's and mpegs and such. I asked them to actually reply to my question, I'll update this post if they actually give me an answer.
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1589
Regular Crew

More Stupid Newbie Questions "Slicing Clips" and "Slow Motion"

Ok I for the life of me cannot figure out how to take a clip and cut it. Basically if I want to delete the first half out I have to shorten it by dragging it, there has got to be some way where I can cut it in the middle and just delete the unwanted?

Also Slow motion, how do I slow the clip down say I have a car do a burnout and half way through for a few seconds I want it to slow down?

Thanks NewB!
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #1590
Sponsor: JET DV

Put the cursor where you want it cut. Press "S" (Split)

For speed changes, either hold down the CTRL key and resize the clip or use a Velocity Envelope.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...