Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 102 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 29th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #1516
Inner Circle

It'll get better if you get into the dual core rigs. I have an AMD Dual 3800+ that is pretty good, and I know the Core Duos from Intel are supposed to smoke..... I can also tell you that I get quicker rendering on Premeire Pro 2.0 of the HDV native edits I have done. I don't know why Vegas is as slow as it is....
Old November 29th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1517
Regular Crew

Underwater Footage

Hello

How does one go about correcting white balance in underwater footage. In Pinnacle it is a simple procedure. But Adobe and Sony seem to make it more difficult. Footage here in Ontario ends up a bit green. Searching in the help ends me up in a colur correction screen but it wants a black area, a white area and a gray area. Thankyou in advance.

Chris
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #1518
Regular Crew

NTSC to PAL issues

My PAL Panasonic GS400 had problems when I was on holiday in the States and I had to buy an NTSC camcorder.

I have edited the NTSC footage in Sony Vegas 5 and saved as a PAL DV-AVi file.
I then imported this Avi file into the edited PAL footage to make one PAL edit. This was then deinterlaced and exported to DVD. When this DVD was watched on a normal PAL TV the PAL footage played fine but the NTSC to PAL footage showed the typical interlace jaggies. I then played it in the DVD drive of the computer and again jaggies were evident on the NTSC to PAL footage, particularly in scenes with motion (as expected).

Any ideas what has gone wrong and how I may rectify it ?
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #1519
Inner Circle

I was just watching a video from a recent dive on the Gunilda over the weekend so I know exactly what you're talking about.
Unfortunately there's no magic button to automatically correct for this.
I'd suggest going through the colour correction tutorials on BillyBoy's site at http://www.wideopenwest.com/~wvg/tutorial-menu.htm
Once you understand what the various tools do, it becomes easier.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #1520
Trustee

Widescreen Render Settings for HDV

Maybe it's me, (I was up late)

I was working on my first HDV project in Vegas (6d). All went well untill I tried to find a high rez render setting that would preserve the 16x9. I ended up saving as an .avi, which was predictably HUGE.

Any advice?
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1521

All of the widescreen templates will preserve the format, but if you're wanting to print back to tape, you need to use mpeg. Unfortunately, that costs you resolution. Are you wanting to archive or print back to tape? Those would be two different formats, IMO. I use CineForm to archive, or 4:2:2 YUV to archive, and of course, mpeg to print to HDV tape.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1522
Trustee

Thanks Spot for the quick reply,

In Tools there is a setting 'print to HDV tape', I tried this, and had an issue with my H1 ' Check HDV/DV input'. I had it set to HDV. Do I need to set it to DV or Auto?

Also, I'm just trying to get the highest rez out via tape or DVD. It's only 8 minutes. DVDA will only render it as about 563 megs.

Is there something I could be doing to increase output quality?

Thanks Again Spot.

Last edited by Ken Diewert; November 30th, 2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1523
Regular Crew

Great "Upgrade" from 6 to 7, and dual session question

Just for anyone interested, I must say I was very pleased upgrading from 6.0 to 7.0b.

My 2.28 mghz machine with a gig of ram now handles HDV capture and editing with ease. The preview quit stuttering in Preview/auto mode completely. It does still stutter somewhat in Good or Best mode a little yet.

7.0b adds HDV scene splits which has been mentioned here previously.

All of my created render modes, FX presets, and other customized stuff appeared to migrate with the install as well, much to my surprise after reading other posts.

I couldn't figure out what to do with 6.0d after the installation, so I just unistalled it through XP add/remove programs. It completely uninstalled with no hassle, and 7.0b and my presets were all still fine.

What little rendering I've done so far has been as timely or better than 6.

These things applied to the DVD Architect upgrade as well.

3.0 mghz processor and 256 mb graphics card on the way...just cause I can.

One very satisfied customer here.

I do have one question.

In going through the manual or help (I can't remember right now) it was mentioned that "while one instance of Vegas is rendering, you can edit in another".

I took this as meaning the program will operate in 2 separate "windows", ie... start the program from the icon or start menu, minimize it, and start another session from the icon or start menu. I know windows allows this and have done it many times with other programs such as CAD.

Has anyone actually tried this, rendering in one and working in another session?

Jamie
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1524
Trustee

Spot,

I changed my project settings. I was WAY wide at 1920. So when I went to render, the only WAY wide setting was .avi. I switched to .mpg2 and checked 'stretch to fill'. So far so good.

I thought I read an HDV workflow from you somewhere on here.

I'm aiming to get the best result to output to DVD. I'm only rendering an 8-minute piece here. Can I set my bitrates WAY high to max rez?
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #1525
Fred Retread

V 7.0b rebuilds peaks with each logon

This is maddening since I have seven video/audio tracks in the project. The video files and the .veg are stored on an Acomdata 7200 RPM USB 2.0 external drive. Every time I log on it takes 10-15 minutes to rebuild the audio peak files. Is there anything I can do to stop this? TIA
Old November 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #1526

If you're rendering to DVD, why are you messing with 1920 or 1440 at all? 720 is your max width.
Use the DVD widescreen settings, set your render to "Best" and then tick the "Stretch to fill screen"
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #1527
Inner Circle

Disclaimer - I've not done exactly this.

I think you've got to deinterlace before rescaling the video to PAL. Seems to me you're just asking for interlace artifacts any time you deinterlace something that has been converted from its native resolution.

So, you'd deinterlace in NTSC before conversion to pal.

See the thread below "Deinterlacing Secrets?" for a good referral to a deinterlace plugin from mikecrash.com. Lengthy render, but worth it. I deinterlaced before rescaling to several lower resolutions.
Old November 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1528
Inner Circle

Glenn, Michael, thanks for the suggestions.

I did end up going with the Mike Crash plugin (now at mikecrash.com), and it worked very well, if somewhat slow on the render.

Michael, your page had great background info that helped my understanding of how vegas displays & renders interlaced footage.

See the Whirling Dervishes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45OJnQp6mI
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #1529
Regular Crew

I have Vegas on order. Would Connect HD help the problem you're talking about?
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #1530
Major Player

Two concurrent Vegas sessions

Yes, I do occasionally run two sessions. I may render a composite super in one window while editing in the other. I try to limit the editing to roughcuts or other non-demanding work.

While I have 2 gig RAM, it does consume most of it while this is going on. Performance takes a hit. I am editing m2t's at HDV res though, so my expectations are adjusted accordingly.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...