Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 95 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #1411
Trustee

Cartoon Captions

Anybody know what's the best/easiest way to make cartoon type captions, kind of like on 'blind date' (TV show), where you have the caption hanging over someone?

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #1412
Sponsor: VASST

Paint Shop Pro has a bunch of these call-outs in their shapes. You could just save them as PNG files with transparency and drop them on the timeline with Generated Text Media on the track above.

~jr
Old November 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #1413
Major Player

Moving project

I dont have "Vidiot" (my NLE) turned on, but I think the simplest way is to open the VEG, save as to the portable drive and be sure to select the option "copy all supporting fies" -- may not want to check the "trim them" option... but it's a command similar to that.

You just need to make sure you manually add the non-timeline material too so you can add it later on while on the roadtrip.

Also make sure you have any other software like Boris, Sony loops and FONTS!! etc on the laptop too.
Old November 19th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1414
Trustee

Great,

Thanks John.
Old November 19th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #1415
Regular Crew

Firewire/monitor/laser link

In order to view my work on an external monitor while editing in Vegas, I use a Sony D8 camcorder connected by firewire to the computer and by s-video to the external monitor. This setup works great. Here is an older picture:
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=726&c=3

The Sony D8 has a feature called Super Laser link which allows you to send the video and audio (wirelessly) to a laser link receiver hooked up to a televsion. Since I had the laser link receiver and have a 50" televsion nearby my work station, I thought it would be interesting to compare things between my 14" Sony monitor and the big screen. The arrangement works fine except that no audio is transferred when playing anything from the timeline in Vegas. When I play a tape in the D8, the audio is transferred to the big screen.

When I plug a set of headphones into the headphone jack of the D8 while playing off the Vegas timeline, there is no audio. So, it seems that the firewire does not transfer the audio to the D8 and as a result, there is nothing for the D8 to send to the big screen (other than video). My audio monitors work fine as they are plugged directly into the compter.

Is this typical or is there something in my setup that could be causing this?

Thanks

Curt
Old November 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #1416
New Boot

there could be a problem in your set up. but i wouldnt know. ive never used vegas, but to me it would seem that your audio monitors would give you better audio any way. why would you want to send it to your big screen? sorry this dosnt answer your question.
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #1417
Inner Circle

Audio is transferred to the D8. It's just that you can't hear it using the pass-through mode. You'd have to run a cable from the output of your sound card to your TV set to be able to hear it - but this defeats the purpose of your intended viewing method. Sorry :-(

Mike
p.s. Got much snow in Regina yet? We got a sprinkling today but nothing stayed on the ground.
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #1418
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. The reason I would like to send the picture to the 'big screen' is to see how good or bad it really looks. The picture tends to look great on a calibrated monitor but not everyone (actually no one) will be viewing my stuff with one. Since I have a decent home theater set up I would like to hear the soundtrack through those speakers. Doesn't sound like it is possible.

No snow in Regina so far. Must be global warming!
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #1419
Inner Circle

Keyframing titles

I have found that keyframing titles does not seem to work in Vegas...unless I'm doing something wrong...for example...I've played with the scaling feature, wanting to go from the largest size title possible and then keyframe it to shrink...doesn't work....in addition I'd like to keyframe text using various deformations and then change to normal...any thoughts?
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1420
Inner Circle

I don't understand why the keyframes aren't working, I use that feature all the time. Please explain to us exactly what you are doing and trying to accomplish so we can try to help you to do what it is you want to do.

Don
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1421
Inner Circle

Keyframing titles

I want to use the scaling feature in the text properties area and start with huge titles (like 200 points) and keyframe them to shrink to smaller size.

I also want to use the deformation feature in text and keyframe it to become "non" deformed.

I don't understand why it's not working either...I use keyframing often with FX on video clips...I am able to do the keyframing...but the effect doesn't work.
Old November 19th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper
I want to use the scaling feature in the text properties area and start with huge titles (like 200 points) and keyframe them to shrink to smaller size.

I also want to use the deformation feature in text and keyframe it to become "non" deformed.

I don't understand why it's not working either...I use keyframing often with FX on video clips...I am able to do the keyframing...but the effect doesn't work.
What you're likely not seeing as "working" is real-time preview of the keyframe properties. Keyframing works great in titling, but you won't see the effect of the keyframe as you insert it in generated media.
I wouldn't use the text scaler anyway. You'd be MUCH better off using the Pan/Crop tool on text. Size your text to double resolution before assigning Pan/Crop to it to prevent aliasing.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #1423
Inner Circle

Titling

Douglas, I had used pan/crop, but the aliasing was bad. I will try your suggestions this evening.

Thanks
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #1424
Major Player

Vegas 7 - 10 languages localization project

Hi,
we got a really interesting assignment - to localize a production to
10 different languages - Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean...

Speaker + text on screen for all languages.

Vegas 7 handled it beautifully, and we used the network render client to batch out all the MPEG's overnight.

Here's a screenshot of the timeline...

http://www.modernafilmer.se/vegas_10_lang.gif

/magnus
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1425
Trustee

That's a whole lotta tracks. Triple my last project, I think.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...