Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM   #1561
Inner Circle

Learning Architect 4: Scene Selection

I am learning Architect 4 and would like to know if there is a way of changing the format for scene selection. By default it provides text and image for the chapters in the video in particular layout on the menu screen. I would like a way of changing this to text only in vertical columns. Or any other way of creating this sort of menu from the chapters ( exported from Vegas 7 and named)
Thanks
Ron Evans
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM   #1562
Inner Circle

Right click on the image part button and make it TEXT only OR highlight the image box of the button and DELETE leaving the TEXT only button part of the button. As for placing it you can move the buttons in any way you want.

Don
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM   #1563
Contributor

Raylight has a new user interface so be sure to point to the latest version
of the tutorial: http://dvfilm.com/raylight/raylightTutorial2Index.htm

Thanks very much for y'all's support
Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:18 PM   #1564
Inner Circle

Yes that is how I have done it at the moment. Even grouped them and used the align tool to get them all on the left edge and then sort. It would be nice to actually set up a default for the scene selection so that when used they would set up this way. I have just gone through creating a DVD with over 90 chapters in 8 submenu groupings. It would have been a lot easier to set up a default that created the scenes this way rather than essentially doing them one at a time. I am just learning, normal authoring is with DVDLab 2 so am keen to identify what is good /poor about these applications. I wanted to try importing from Vegas with chapters and creating with Architect to see how this would work out and this project with so many chapters gave me the opportunity where having this realationship would be benificial. I will keep trying as I think there has to be a way of doing this, even if I have to learn how to write a script for it.

Ron Evans
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #1565
Regular Crew

I see

Thank you Jon, sounds easy enouph and will give it a shot, thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM   #1566
Regular Crew

Vegas 7, JVC HD100 and preview... Ouch

Okay, I've done some searching, but I haven't been able to deduce what my solution might be.

I am editing a short 720p project shot with my JVC HD100U. This is really only my second project with Vegas (second project editing video, too !) , so forgive me if this is too basic.

I find that if I correct for good-looking visuals in the preview window in Vegas, the resulting DVD ( after I render with DVD Architect 4 and display on my TV ) is waaaay too contrasty, highlights blown, etc. Unusable. I'm pretty good with 'Levels' and color-correction in Photoshop, so am not flying completely blind.

If I 'correct' in Vegas for the preview window, I have to correct to 'muddy', no-contrast, ugly-looking previews to get a reasonable result on my TV. That just can't work.

My research in this forum reveals that I should preview on something like my output hardware, but here's the trouble: the HD100U apparently does not do '1394 pass-through' of video. I can't preview by directing Vegas' preview output to Firewire with the HD100 (which is connected to a monitor via the camera's component output).

Has anyone done this with widescreen preview output to Firewire from Vegas without $ 2000 worth of gear ?

I see 3 or 4 gadgets from Canopus, with prices ranging from $ 225 to $ 1000. But I don't want to waste money getting to the 'right' solution. I see cards from AJA and BlackMagic that range to $2000 or more. I just want to preview on component (preferred) or S-video or composite with widescreen output from Vegas 7 via Firewire.

If anyone has some solid recommendations based on actual experience, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Stephen H
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1567
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys. Any specific ideas for removing wind noise? Would Sony's Noise Reduction 2 work for that?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1568
Regular Crew

Are Threshold and Black Restore already part of Vegas? Thanks for the suggestions.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM   #1569
Regular Crew

Eugene have you tried contacting Sony tech support?
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1570
Regular Crew

Undo Crashes

Hello Everyone,

I have installed Vegas 7.0b on my computer. Over the past few months the program will somethings crash (it disappears) when I hit the undo icon. It has down this to me on several occassions. It even disappears when I use the undo shortcut(ctrl-Z). I am now very afraid when I reach to click on undo icon. Sometimes I take a shortcut to save before proceeding. What is going on? This is very frustrating.
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #1571
Inner Circle

I feel that Sony Noise Reduction 2.0 would not be successful in removing wind noise due to the nature of the noise.

In Sony NR 2.0, you can take a "Noise Sample" of the noise if you have a quiet period in your desired sound, but in which the noise is present. This gives NR 2.0 a "Noise Sample" (fingerprint, my term), of the noise.

Then Sony NR 2.0 will analyze the "Noise Sample" and remove those frequences from your sound track. You can take multple "Noise Samples".

However, you may not be satisified with the results. A lot depends on the nature of your sound track. Is it dialog, nature sounds, music or something else?

If you wish to send me your sound track on a CD or DVD, I could import it into Vegas and use Sony NR 2.0 in an attempt to remove your wind noise.

I do not think I wll be successful due to the many frequences involved in wind noise, however, if I am I will send the sound track back to you. Please send me a private email and I will send you my shipping address.
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #1572
Inner Circle

If you look thru the VIDEO FX tab you'll see that Threshold and Black Restore are part of the FX offered by Vegas.

You might try TRACK MOTION to enlarge the portion you want without degreading in too much. You would probably still need to make an adjustment or 2 but it MIGHT be better than PAN CROP depending on how much you're try to crop out.

Don
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #1573
Inner Circle

I have now found a way of doing what I want. Apply the Corporate Theme. This has given me two columns. Great. I also have now modified it to be what i want. Now if only Sony can find someone to totally re write the help files for Vegas and Architect that have just a little logic to them it would be a big improvement!!!!! Simple things, like when one searches for something have the word be the first in the list rather than not appear in a list of 20 items!!!!!

Ron Evans
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1574
Major Player

3d Compositing

I'm having a little trouble compositing video over a TV screen. I cant seem to get the aspect ratio right. Anyone have any tips on how to do this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4)-help.jpg  
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #1575
Trustee

You really have to apply some pincushioning and barrel distortion to get this right. I think After Effects is a better tool for this job but I do not speak from much experience. Then there is the the matter of adding lighting cues.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...