Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 92 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #1366
Major Player

Trying adding the effect at the track level. Third icon from the left.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1367
Regular Crew

Thank you Emre and Simon for pointing this out. I am going to try this out - looks like it will save me hours of work!
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #1368
Major Player

Movie Scene on Yahoo Talent Show

Fellow Vegans,

I posted some scenes from my film "Catch A Rising Bullet" online at the Yahoo Talent show.

http://tinyurl.com/yhtqwv

This production exists only because of Vegas (having started with Vegas 4).

Comments, thoughts, and even flames are appreciated.

The film has been in post since Vegas 5, and will be finished in Vegas 6. The audio is still rough, but I couldn't resist taking advantage of Yahoo's generosity. Running time will exceed two hours, yet maintain a brisk pace.

Has anyone else entered?

Thanks,

BMW
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1369
Regular Crew

Drag the effect into the preview window for video and the master volume for audio
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #1370
Regular Crew

Help: I can't get the 2nd video track to show up

AND, It's time to figure this out. I have been needing to finish simple projects, so I have just put all of my video on one track and trimmed them appropriately.
Now I am ready to be a grown-up about it and use my composite envelopes etc.

I'm sure it is something bonehead that I just haven't been able to figure out., probably a button to press. I have spent about 3 hours experimenting, reading the manual and Eagle's Vegas book, to no avail.

To be clear, my envelopes work fine. I can get the top video track to fade out in color or composite. I can also just use the level fader in the control strip to the left. The challenge is that the video tracks directly beneath it do not become visibile when the top track get transparent. the screen/preview window/rendered file just goes black the more transparent, the more black shows through).

Help!

Mark
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #1371
Inner Circle

most obvious first:

Is the track enabled for viewing? I can't remember the icon (is it the "!"), but if it is selected, you won't see or hear what's on a particular track.

Even if it is enabled, to you have transparency set to 100% ? That would also make it invisible.
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #1372
Regular Crew

partially fixed - slightly different question now

Of course, as soon as I hit send, I noticed that the top track was further left than the other tracks by a quarter inch.

I added a new video track, moved my clips to it, and it works fine.

Somehow, I don't know how, I have tracks in my project that look like video tracks, but don't show up. They have a quarter inch space to the left of the track controlsjust left of the minimize/maximize buttons.

Does anyone know what these are, what they are for, and/or how to convert them to normal tracks? For now, I will just move the clips on them to "working" tracks...

Thanks!

mARK
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #1373
Inner Circle

kind of sounds like you have PARENT/CHILD set up on the tracks. I could be wrong but there's nothing else that I know of that sounds like what you have described. If you don't need P/C then release it by clicking on the up arrow of the bottom track.

Don
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1374
New Boot

Thanks for the responses guys.

Another couple of questions:

I have now installed DVD Architect. It seems that I have to render the MPEG and audio files, then as a separate action set up your DVD menus and burn/author. Does this sound right?

Also, is it possible to "burn" the project to the hard drive? In other words, can Vegas MS/Vegas full create the VIDEO TS folder on a hard drive without actually putting it onto a DVD ?
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #1375
New Boot

moving files properly ?

i recently got a new laptop, i'm trying to open up an old project i have, i moved all the media fine but everytime i open the veg the damn thing still links it to my old pc locations and i have to specify the files again each time? even though i hit save it still doesn't remember the new locations, how can i do this?

thanks
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #1376
Trustee

It should remember once you save, but the correct way is to move using the Project Media tab.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #1377
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwyn Adkins
I have now installed DVD Architect. It seems that I have to render the MPEG and audio files, then as a separate action set up your DVD menus and burn/author. Does this sound right?
You can do that. Just render the video to MPEG2 (adjusting the bitrate as appropriate) and the audio as AC-3 and then give DVD Architect both of those files. Alternately, you could render to DV-AVI and let DVD Architect do the conversions for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwyn Adkins
Also, is it possible to "burn" the project to the hard drive? In other words, can Vegas MS/Vegas full create the VIDEO TS folder on a hard drive without actually putting it onto a DVD ?
Yes it is. That's what the "Prepare" process does - create a folder containing the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders. You can then burn that as many times as desired.
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #1378
Trustee

SoundForge 8.0d bug

Has anyone else noticed that Soundforge saves user data in the wrong place? It should be under %USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\Sound Forge, but some programmer omitted a backslash so it became %USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application DataSony\Sound Forge instead! No biggie but it caught my attention when I was re-installing another application.
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #1379
Inner Circle

Deinterlacing secrets?

I'm creating a short promo from HDV 1080i footage - just about got the edit done. The destination formats are various for google video, yahoo video and youtube.

The one thing I think they all have in common is that they'll do better with progressive, 30p.

I think my next step is to render the 1080/60i timeline to a 1080/30p cineform or sony yuv to serve as my digital master for all these renders to other destination formats.

Will setting up the project properties for progressive influence what's rendered, or, is that just determining display within Vegas?

Or, is the proper approach to specify "progressive scan" in the field order drop down in custom render setings?

Or is there another approach? The help file and manual are no help...

Tools - I have what comes with Vegas, I don't have Connect HD.
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #1380
Regular Crew

Moving soundtrack

Hi.
Is it possible to "unlock snapping" to a soundtrack in Vegas 7? I want to move the music a half frame to exactly match the beats to the frames.
Howe can this be done?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...