Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM   #931
Regular Crew

I shot it with a Panasonic gs-120. I'm getting my fx1 in a few weeks though....
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM   #932
Regular Crew

I forget where I got this

On my Computer somewhere......

flicker....stuttering pictures
In VMS 6, right-click on the event (each still photo), and select "switches", then check the box "reduce interlace flicker".

One of the things I did to help alleviate the problem is to turn off 'Fast Video Resizing'. This is a check box that appears
on the Render Settings screen when you go to Make Movie (at least in Movie Studio 4). It slows down the rendering, but also
cleaned up some of the problems like you are describing.

Also check "best" in project render settings.

Eliminated it completely for me.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:00 AM   #933
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vick
I shot it with a Panasonic gs-120. I'm getting my fx1 in a few weeks though....
I was thinking of buying the same (fx1) after a long period researching but I'm not sure yet.
Good luck George!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM   #934
Regular Crew

Rendering Experiance

I find out how to speed up rendering time from DV AVI to MPEG 2.
After editing on the Vegas timeline is much faster encoding video to DV AVI again , and then encoding as DV AVI file to external Mainconcept encoder to MPEG DVD format( 720x576, 8000 bitrate).This will short the rendering time of the project abut double with the same quality.Using TMPGEnc encoder is the different story. How do you explain this?
I have to render 90 min DV AVI file. to MPEG (720x576, audio 224). Video bitrate calculator says to encode with about 6500 bitrate to fit on one DVD disc.But when I encode with same parametars in Vegas the final MPEG file is about 3.2Gb.Then I've try with 8000 bitrate and the final MPEG file was about 4.1Gb.
So that says that I can put 90min top quality (720x576, bitrate 8000) to one DVD disc.Question? If I have to render 60 min project, still to use 8000 bitrate as when I rendering 90 min????, because higher bitrate then 8000 I never use.But when encoding with TMPGEnc, there is no chance to render more theh 70 min with the same parametars.
So who lies here?Which encoder works corectly. Why bigger MPEG file when encoding with TMPGEnc?
Regards.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:45 AM   #935
Sponsor: JET DV

Is it possible the TMPGenc file included audio but the Vegas file did NOT? The DVDA presets in Vegas do NOT include audio - you are supposed to render that separately into an AC3 file.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM   #936
Regular Crew

Actually i found the problem in advanced internal preferences - default preview level was altered to less then 0,1 instead of 1 (so there is the way to alter the audio level in trimmer).I don't know what is the reason for this, because i never alter this prefs, only for positioning frame dock to the top and timeline to the bottom.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM   #937
Major Player

Vegas training and Certification-NAB'06

Who knows anything about the Vegas Training course and Certification Test to be held at NAB this year?

Sounds great, I just have a couple questions before I plunk down 500 bucks and miss two days of NAB.

I'd like to know who's teaching it, what the curriculum is, will it focus solely on HD, how applicable will it be to version 5?

Any chance to schedule it for Sunday/Monday rather than Tuesday/Wednesday?

fill me in,
Scott
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM   #938
Regular Crew

I just called Sony Media Software and after a long wait, this is what the guy told me. The seminar is the class version of this item: http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...=1003&SPID=386

The table of contents are listed there. Some of the stuff I don't know -- but I think curling up with the PDF manual might be just as beneficial to me, since I think I know over half to 3/4 of this. For beginning users, it sounds like a godsend though. There are other seminars I'd like to be at during the course time.

Not to change the thread subject, but I'm curious -- does anyone's jobs require Vegas certification? Would it be a plus, say for job hunting?

Last edited by Robert Kirkpatrick; March 24th, 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #939

Quote:
e to know who's teaching it, what the curriculum is, will it focus solely on HD, how applicable will it be to version 5?
It will use Vegas 6 as the application current to Sony's releases. No, it is not solely on HD. It's the entire app. It's a certification class.

Quote:
Any chance to schedule it for Sunday/Monday rather than Tuesday/Wednesday??
Not likely. Rooms at NAB are pricy and rare.

I'm sure you'll be hearing of other certification options in the future.
while you might know most of what is taught in the class, it's the cert that has value. Many corporations won't hire unless you're certified by a manufacturer or recognized traininer in a particular software application. It demonstrates that someone other than you says you know the software. The test isn't nearly as easy as you might think.
http://www.vasst.com
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM   #940
Regular Crew

Audio peak/level -- a visual experience

I can visualize what I want to do - I just don't know exactly how to achieve it... Imagine that you're watching a video of a one person interview. I want to be able to show a real-time graphical bar showing audio peaks and levels on the screen (like off to the side, bottom or something like that) where I can still see the interviewee and the graphic/bars side by side. The only method I've been able to come up with is to video record a meter that is properly synched up even with the video -- then do a split screen to finish the effect.

I have Vegas 6.0d - and thought I'd start here to see if anybody has any ideas beyond the idea I came up with.

Thanks in advance, in a rears and cherrios...
-Michael
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM   #941
Sponsor: JET DV

I guess after editing the video, you could play back the timeline while capturing the screen and then overlay the vegas meters over the video afterwards (which is basically what you said).

Many cameras can display the meters on the screen. You could possibly capture analog (but you'd get the other screen information as well.)
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:59 PM   #942
Inner Circle

after effects has a plugin for this.. cant remember what its called but i think its from trapcode..

what Ed said is another option.. u can use camtasia for this and then overlay the peaking levels video in vegas without a problem.
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #943
Regular Crew

Media Player has several bars or waves which react to the audio - you could play the audio in MP, record it, either with a screen capture app like Camtasia or shoot on LCD with casmera, then input the video to Vegas and synch with the original audio.
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #944
Regular Crew

line drawing on maps

yes it sounds simple but is it. NAtress sells a filter i would love to have but it works only for final cut pro. it allows you to draw a line over a layer of video that has growth to it. so you could animate a line on a map. how can i do this...otherwise
Old March 24th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #945
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice so far -- and it looks like that confirms my initial findings.. To Peter Jefferson -- thank you so much for passing trapcode along. I checked out their website and I was very impressed with all of their effects and add-ons.. To the best of your knowledge are there any other effects-driven programs out there that work inside Vegas?? I've checked out Particle Illusion before and it had similar effect-type things you could do with it.

Regards,
-Michael
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...