Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 68 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM   #1006
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson
Saves all that time and hassle doing it in Vegas, for no real benefit...
That it saves time and hassle is undoubtably true, but as regards benefits I can think of at least two - at least with a modification to what Lance suggests. If he was to perform the edit with the HD version (downconverting the finished product) then firstly this would leave an HD master, and secondly is that this approach will allow him to correct framing errors to some extent upon conversion to 4:3 SD. The HD master should allow some latitude for zooming in without noticeable quality loss on the SD version. This may be useful not necessarily due to "mistakes" but rather that HD tends to favour a wider shot than SD.

If the delivery medium is to be DVD, then why not maintain at least SD widescreen throughout the edit, if not the HD? DVD players can be set to give a choice of centre cut or letterbox outputs when used with a 4:3 TV, after all.
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM   #1007
Regular Crew

Robin, John, and David

Thanks for your replys.

This is green screen footage that is being keyed in post so my thoughts were, as David mentioned, that the workflow I suggested gives me the opportunity to re-farme the subject in post before pulling the key. Once the key is complete, then I will re-render the file to an SD 4:3 file.

I will do a couple of test shots today whether there is any value in keying the HD footage before conversion to 4:3 SD. If not, I may very well use the built-in camera conversion to do the conversion on the fly, saving me loads of time.

This is a news piece going to a couple of broadcasters in Canada and the US, and the lowest common denominator for all of them is 4:3 aspect for news related material. IF this was a documentary or other type of piece, most definitely, I would stay with 16:9. And yes, editing in HD makes alot of sense if an HD master is required. All of our pre-built graphics, supers, etc. are all configured for 4:3 SD at this time. And this news piece has a very short shelf life with little to no archival need. Sounds like I better get to work and generate some new graphics in HD!

Thanks agian for your support gents!

Lance
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1008
Major Player

connectHD file to m2t problem

Vegas 6c= I have converted m2t to connectHd avi file utilizing cineform trial version. I have completed the edit and now converting it back to the original m2t file to go to SD DVD. I am not able to replace 1 out of 3 scene. Is it because I used the trail version which has now expired?? If not then will recaputring that bad file work?

Thanks
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1009
Trustee

Fred, I'm not sure what the problem is, but, if you are using the cineform intermediary codec, then you don't have to switch back to mt2 for render to SD DVD.
Just render to normal NTSC DV for DVD template in Vegas.

This should work fine and look great.
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1010
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Fred, I'm not sure what the problem is, but, if you are using the cineform intermediary codec, then you don't have to switch back to mt2 for render to SD DVD.
Just render to normal NTSC DV for DVD template in Vegas.

This should work fine and look great.

Thanks but I also would like to print to HDV tape.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1011
Tourist

A few simple questions.

Hello all. I just purchased vegas and a sony hc1. When editing how do put words over the video? When i do it, the screen is black and the words show up but the video is blacked out. And is there a way to put the picture inside the words...? For example a pan across the city skyline within the name of the city. LIke a black screen with the word atlanta scrolling across with the skyline inside the letters? And is there anyway to make the transitions longer without overlaying the video of the two scenes? Sorry for the nub questions but this software is nothing like pinacle... I got a little in over my head but I am trying to learn. Thanks for any help.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:38 AM   #1012
Regular Crew

Hey Kyle,

I switched from Pinnacle Studio to Vegas Studio Platinum a few weeks ago, and at first was overwhelmed. It is completely different in many ways, and I had never worked in "timeline" mode with Pinnacle much except in placing titles and soundtracks. Pinnacle storyboard mode was great for adding transitions and such, and the Vegas trimmer window at first was confusing.

I also found that you have to "lock" events (clips) on the timeline to keep them from moving, even when placing events on other tracks.

Stick with it and you will soon uninstall Pinnacle if you haven't already. Vegas works very well and in my opinion blows Pinnacle away. Read the full size manual (PDF on the disk) through, and play with the program. I found just taking some very short clips (just a few seconds) and going through the editing and rendering process helped immensly, instead of trying to process an actual longer project.

To do a title the way you described as I have learned how to:

1. Place a text event on the text track at the point in the timeline you want it. It will be "Sample Text".
2. Modify the text type, size, etc... by right clicking over that event and select "edit generated media".
3. Select "Transparent Text" in the "Presets" pulldown box, and change what you want, including the background color within the 4 tabs below the "Presets" box. You can modify existing presets or create your own and save them.

The video clip on the adjacent track will show inside the text. I'm not sure about scrolling or rolling text, I'll check the manual.

I know you can do this different ways with video overlays and such, but I think this covers your question.

As to your transition question, I can't help much there. If you don't have enough video to insert the transition without losing a shot, I guess you could split the clip at the last half second or so, and create a slow motion clip of 2 seconds for the video portion of the transition. Audio might be a problem though. This could be done at the start of your next scene if the same problem exists.

As you shoot and edit more, you'll learn more video available is better than less, and hold starts and stops longer for "transition room".

Stick with Vegas, read the manual, and invest the time needed. I think you'll be glad you switched over.

You might also note which version of Vegas you are using when asking questions.

Jamie
Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM   #1013
Tourist

Safe Areas in Vegas - newbie

Using Vegas 6.0d and DVD Architect 3.0c, Panasonic GS-17 MiniDV cam

I'm capturing miniDV footage into Vegas as PAL DV (720x576) and then creating a DVD. Whichever way I have the project settings, PAL DV or PAL DV Widescreen, some of the video frame always ends up outside the safe areas in DVD Architect.

Obviously, I don't want to lose the edges of my footage to some technical inadequacy or trick I don't know about, so is there any way to ensure ALL the video fits inside the safe area?

Please see these two screenshots for reference:

http://www.zen8003.zen.co.uk/images/prj-paldv.jpg - Project settings were PAL DV
http://www.zen8003.zen.co.uk/images/prj-paldv-ws.jpg - Project settings were PAL DV widescreen

I just want it to look OK on a widescreen TV and a normal TV. Letterboxing is fine, I'm not fussy - but I DO want to make sure the entire frame is displayed and that the aspect ratio is correct.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM   #1014
Inner Circle

dude thast what safe areas are al about..
in teh camera u cannot see the frame outside these areas. .if u can, id recommend connecting a camera to the TV and the PC, then adjsuting yoru safe zone to a level in which u can see on your tv.. this will be the closes your gonna get to having ur tv and pc share the same "viewable frame"

another option is to run square pixel which will shrink your frame, but most likely allow u to fit it all into the frame
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1015
Old Boot

Putting it another way: That VIDEO which is OUTSIDE the OUTTER safe area will NOT be seen in a final render. The INNER safe area is the safe area for TEXT.

For my own experience, these wide-screen S.A.s have become more important to me lately as a result of recently using it with a Wide Angle PLUS Wide angle on the zoom AND in conjunction with a bellows Matte Box - this is so I can use my filters. OK this was also the case with shooting with 4:3, but for some reason I'm taking MORE care with wide-screen. This has forced me to adapt Peter suggestion/approach to ensure that I don't video the edges of the matte box or bellows - wanting as wide as can go and on wide angle. I now use a Wide-Screen monitor - oh yes!!

I have already recognised 2 fab reasons to use it:

1: That which we speak of, of above - nothing worse than a bellows appearing in the corners of your shot! YUCK!!

and

2: I get to nicely frame/compose for wide-screen. AND as my XM2 doesn't squish to Wide-screen in the tiny LCD, I get the "What-I-Shot-I-get-In-Vegas!" . Very happy now.

My widescreen gets to go through all the workflow AND the Safe Areas truly depict that which I shot. There IS stuff outside the SAs BUT I didn't see in the monitor while videoing. THIS is a good thing!

Your 1st sample I really have no idea how you achieved this. Unless you've tried out the various Pan/Cop features of Vegas.

Your 2nd sample shows the extreme backs of each head OUTSIDE the video safe areas. This part will not find its way onto a VHS, DVD or that which will be displayed on a TV. - WMP?!! Now, THAT'S another story!!

Grazie
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1016
Inner Circle

Older files in Vegas 4, can't open in 6

Opening up Vegas 4 veg files, I tried to open a set of veg files when I was using Vegas 4, they didn't open. I got a 'this is an unsupported format.'

What would be my options for getting it open?

Thanks.

I don't have Vegas 4 anymore.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1017
Regular Crew

vid card quality

my footage from HC1 goes in visually acceptable and appears great in timeline. When I render it breaks apart badly? Is this my cheap vid card. DOes the vid card quality help with render quality?
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1018

Vid card bears no relevance. you didn't mention the format and bitrate to which you are rendering?
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #1019
Tourist

So what you're saying, in essence, is that my camcorder is capturing information that will never make it onto a TV screen - not even a widescreen one?
Damn....I should ask for 10% of my money back.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM   #1020
Regular Crew

More Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Vid card bears no relevance. you didn't mention the format and bitrate to which you are rendering?
Thank You! I guess my question is what should I do? I am shooting of road videos with HDR HC1's. I usually leave the .m2t files and transfer to hardrives. This time I down convertred to SD as it went to hardrive. The images are still great in the timeline, but as soon as I render, the edges of the rider or bike distort badly. Its less aparent on smaller screens, but still present. As for bitrate, I have no idea what that is. I am rendering the timeline in Mpeg2 with defualt setting. I have used others and its worse. Im just looking for a standard...thank you for your help
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...