Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 12th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #1141
Regular Crew

Nope, tried it on my Intel and it was just as slow...

while playback in QT was fine. Go figure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Yew
MP4CAM2AVI just re-package to MPEG4 format AVI, no recompression. But AAC audio in AVI is not common, you're recommanded to convert it to PCM.

Seems this issue only affect AMD processor.
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #1142
New Boot

Yes, Quicktime is definitely processing the .tif on the fly...no fun. So, if I am reading all your advice correctly...

I will convert my existing .tifs to pngs and since I will be zooming, I will only downsize as needed to maybe 3 x project resolution and leave the dpi alone (which is 300 - 600 depending on the still). The file sizes will still be anywhere from a 1Mb to 25Mb in size with PNG (much larger than if I went the JPG route), but 3 to 4 times smaller than TIF and do not have to worry about image quality loss if editing or waiting for Quicktime to process in preview.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks again guys,

Jim
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #1143
Regular Crew

WorkFlow

I have a series of amost 500 clips that I wish to put onto a variety of DVDs. Rather than rendering out all the individual clips, I'm proposing to line up all the veggie files on the timeline in an order that corresponds to the contents of that particular DVD.

In each case I'll render this out in the MPEG-2 format with the AC-3 audio file, though I don't recall whether to 'Render As' or 'Render to New Track'?

I assume to successfully load the orange markers from Vegas6d into DVDA3c I ensure the 'Save project markers in media file' is selected?

The reason I ask is because it'll save me a lot of time having to re-create all the markers in DVDA.

TIA
Neil
Old April 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1144
New Boot

Can only import Flash for text animation?

Is this right? If I have a Flash cartoon-like animation, I cannot bring that into Vegas? I was reading both on this site and Sony's that they only support Flash for text. If that is correct, how is anyone bringing in cartoon-like animation (or whatever the correct term for this is)?

Thanks again,

Jim
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1145
Major Player

Jim,
On Page 44 of the Vegas manual there is a table of file types that Vegas supports in a project. Shockwave Flash .SWF files are a type that is supported. FLV files are not listed so probably aren't supported.
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1146

png or tga are your best options, always, in Vegas, and you'll see the system run significantly faster.
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1147
Sponsor: JET DV

Render As

and Yes - make sure the option to save markers is CHECKED.
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1148
Regular Crew

Chroma Keying and Shadows...

Ok so I know how to key out the green pretty well in Vegas although it is not quite as easy as Ultra2 it seems. But generally ok. Now, can any of you recommend a way in Vegas to create shadows so the item you're keying looks like it's where you've placed it?

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hamilton
Ok so I know how to key out the green pretty well in Vegas although it is not quite as easy as Ultra2 it seems. But generally ok. Now, can any of you recommend a way in Vegas to create shadows so the item you're keying looks like it's where you've placed it?

Open Track Motion and select the "Add Shadow" box. That'll fix you up.
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #1150
Jubal 28

Do you mean casting a shadow on the floor which matches other shadows in the room?

That can be done, but there's some work involved. You'd basically take the keyed clip, duplicate it (but put it on a track under the keyed clip you want to keep), blacken out the image (contrast, brightness, something), lower the opacity (so that it can be seen through, amount dependent on how much you want), then use 3D track motion to place it. Not quite as slick as AE or Commotion which have shadow generators, but pretty much a manual version of the same thing.
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #1151
Regular Crew

Best Format for 60 Sec Multimedia Clip

One of my clients wants to post a 60 second clip for advertising purposes of the footage we shot. The company ask for the following format

Sorenson 3, 240 x 180, 15fps, 168kbit/s

or

MP3 with audio at 22khz mono, 32kbit/s

2.5 megabytes, 60 seconds long

when using Vegas and selecting quicktime with Sorenson 3, where does the 168kbit/s come into play, I am not finding the field to set that?

What do most of you guys set you clips at for multimedia and what file sizes are you getting for a 60 second clip? Is anyone using Sorenson Squeeze or Canopus ProCoder?
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1152
Regular Crew

Jump to HDV

ok i made the transition to HDV. Now i regret it. hehe. just kidding. anyway I have a whole bunch of footage that I digitized. Now I want to make a proxy so that I can edit the footage at a frame rate greater then 4 fps. =) however, everytime I use gearshift to make a proxy, it fills up my 400GB raid. Its about 2 hours of footage that I need to edit. I know it keeps making uncompressed AVIs which are huge. What other options do I have?

Thanks
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1153
Major Player

Help - analogue to digital conversion

Hey –

What do you use for analogue to digital conversion? I need to transfer some old VHS tapes to digital for editing… Any product out there especially good with Vegas?

Thanks!
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #1154

Canopus ADVC 50 or ADS DV Bridge are both very good products for not a lot of cash. Both offer DV output, so Vegas loves the files they spit out.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1155
Regular Crew

Help! Audio question (fade out)

Hi all. I have not used my Vegas 6 for much audio, so I am not sure how to simply fade audio on a track in the timeline. I have a song I need to fade at a certain point....Thanks
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...