Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q1Q2) - Page 79 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1171
New Boot

Locking X or Y position during keyframe interpolation

Okay, here's another easy one for you Vegas experts...

Sometimes when I am doing a pan, the interpolated positions between the start keyframe and end keyframe somehow seem to drift enough to expose the background in the frame. Why is this happening and how can I simply lock the Y coordinate? If my start and end keyframes have the same Y, shouldn't the interpolated keyframes inbetween have the same Y value?

Thanks again,

Jim
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #1172
Jubal 28

Use the DVD Architect 24p template, but DON'T change the framerate -- leave it with the "2-3 pulldown" being added.

It's not actually adding frames; it's adding pulldown flags which allow a DVD player to insert pulldown when watching on a standard TV (which can't be avoided). Playing on a progressive-scan player, the DVD player will not add pulldown when playing to a progressive display, and you'll be watching the pure 24p frames, but you need the pulldown flags in the file in order for it to be DVD-compliant (which is why there's a re-render when you change it).

Last edited by David Jimerson; April 14th, 2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #1173
Jubal 28

If there are no keyframes in between with different Y values, then yes, your Y value should remain constant. Check to make sure you don't have anything in between -- it's pretty easy to have something without realizing it.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #1174
Sponsor: JET DV

Excalibur 5 setup correction

The setup program for Excalibur 5 was updated late 4/13/06 (CDT). It was discovered that the multi-cam tallys were being stored in the wrong place and has now been corrected. Anyone who is missing the tallys in the Sync tool, please download and install again.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #1175

You likely need to set your smoothness on the keyframes to "0". This is a fairly common problem, common enough that John Rofrano has written a script to set all smoothness to "0."
http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=smoothness is where you can get it should you need it.
http://www.vasst.com
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1176
Jubal 28

Interesting. I've never seen a coordinate drift before, even with smoothness at 1, and I animate a lot of stills. I'll keep an eye out.
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #1177
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
Interesting. I've never seen a coordinate drift before, even with smoothness at 1, and I animate a lot of stills. I'll keep an eye out.
You will probably only see this when trying to coordinate the keyframes from two events on two different tracks. Unless the keyframes are identical (cut ‘n paste) AND exactly the same distance from one another (in which case the smoothing should track properly) you will see a drift because the smoothing is done as a percentage of movement and a longer distance between keyframes means a different percentage of smoothing. That’s why I wrote the unsmooth script. It annoyed the heck out of me. ;-)

~jr
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #1178
Regular Crew

DVDA workflow

I have a project that I want to bring to DVD. It is a songwriter performance of 10-13 songs with interviews for each song and a few additional off topic interviews. I shot 40-50 minutes of the songs on tape with 3 cameras. would I be better off with one veg file with everything laid out in order on the timeline or should I create a veg file for each song/interview and hook them up as a play list in DVDA? I don't know how to add transitions in DVDA so when in play all mode I get a seamless flowing transition from one song to another. If I do it with one veg file in Vegas with markers, I imagine the entire render will be enormous. Any thoughts?

Jeff
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #1179
Jubal 28

You can accomplish the same thing by rendering it as a single file, but put a little space in between songs on your (Vegas) timeline, and insert chapter markers. Then, you can make a chapter menu in DVDA and people can select songs at will. Or, they can play the whole thing all at once.

Make sure you include chapter markers when you render from Vegas.

It will be a big render, but you're not saving yourself any time by rendering in chunks, and in fact, you may well take up significantly more space on the DVD by doing it that way (in chunks).

Just a way to go. Not sure one way is any better than the other, ultimately; you can establish end actions with each individual file to go on the next, so it really comes down to personal taste and if you want the "long play" to be smooth and seamless from one song to the next, or have a notable pause and DVD title switch between each. Up to you.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1180
Trustee

Render time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
I have a project that I want to bring to DVD. It is a songwriter performance of 10-13 songs with interviews for each song and a few additional off topic interviews. I shot 40-50 minutes of the songs on tape with 3 cameras. would I be better off with one veg file with everything laid out in order on the timeline or should I create a veg file for each song/interview and hook them up as a play list in DVDA? I don't know how to add transitions in DVDA so when in play all mode I get a seamless flowing transition from one song to another. If I do it with one veg file in Vegas with markers, I imagine the entire render will be enormous. Any thoughts?

Jeff
I will say that you may consider creating each song & interview as a seperate Vegas project because daily renders that include your whole project start to really fill up hard drive space. That doesn't apply if you don't have a habbit of a daily render (I come from the software industry so I have a nightly code compile habbit).

I have found it to be easier to import a single file for DVDA as opposed to a lot of little onces and then linking them all together in a playlist. Especially because of what the other poster mentioned, chapter menus. DVDA can automatically create all necessary chapter menus based just on the chapter marks. That is why it is important to render to MPEG2 for DVDA. Then creating the DVD is about 1/2 the time. Or less. I learned the hard way.

jason
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #1181
Regular Crew

One other thing I thought of. Nesting. I'm not sure I understand this but is nesting the ability to add individual veg files in order on a new parent veg file? The reason I am leaning to individual renders is that if I ever want to mix my compilations at a future time, I can easily mix and match. I am producing a series of these performances and just shot the material. I am looking for a consistant workflow that works easily and consistently.

Jeff
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #1182
Regular Crew

Now I get it, very confusing but I get it. I am projecting this project on Saturday so I wanted to make sure it will play at 24p on a progressive DVD player.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1183
Inner Circle

Apparently Sony changed their page organization around, the link above is dead this morning.

Looks like this one might be the book Ron reviewed:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...t.asp?PID=1003
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #1184
Inner Circle

Help with batch render - need new script?

As I continue to polish my workflow in Vegas, a nagging item has come to the top.

The Batch Render script that ships with V5 and V6 is a wonderful tool for automating export, which I frequently do "by regions".

However, when I come back after lunch or the next morning, Vegas has assigned file names to the output based on a prefix I selected, followed by something like "region_002_wmv9template" or words to that effect.

Does anyone know of a similar script that would incorporate the region name into the exported file name?

My life would be easier if I came back to find "region_002_regionname_Mary_wmv9template" or some such.

I did search VASST without success...

Thanks,
Seth
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #1185
New Boot

Yep, that did the trick...changing the smoothness to 0. Thanks again guys!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...