Vegas 11 Crashing! Help! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #31
New Boot

Re: Vegas 11 Crashing! Help!

One more problem (seems like Vegas 11 suffers many different bugs?):

After I've put some 200 clips on the timeline, Vegas starts to crash, again. It always crashes when starting or stopping playing the timeline. The above mentioned fix, helped a lot: No crashes at all, until the number of clips on the timeline reached 150-200 or more. Why?
Some guy told me that Vegas has a certain memory dedicated for buffering long GOP's on the timeline, and if this memory is full, it starts crashing. What do you think, guys?
Dag Halvorsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #32
Inner Circle

If you files are located on an external I'd try moving them to an internal drive to see if that has any effect.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #33
New Boot

Jeff, my raw clips are on external RAID HDD. I use XDCAM EX Clipbrowser to move clips ("export MXF for NLE's") from external to internal HDD. When rapidly start/stop playback from timeline (within the same clip), I can't imagine the HDD is working at all. Surely the clip(s) is buffered in memory.

There are obviously a number of buffers in Vegas, not all of them without errors. Or what do you think?
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Dag, I don't know how Vegas works, I am technically ignorant of the workings, for the most part. I suggested moving your files to eliminate a possibility, and because your original post mentioned using an external USB drive. USB drives have been problematic for me in the past, and for others, but yours might be fine. It is the USB connection that can cause issues sometimes. Many people edit using USB drive with no issues, I know, but I personally don't like them myself. Just my take on things.

I applaud your efforts to find your solution, and appreciate you sharing things step by step as you have done. Good job, Dag.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:42 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Halvorsen View Post
Conclusion:
Go to Preferences/AudioDevice Tab: DISABLE TRACK BUFFERING IN VEGAS 11pro! Made my day!
Dag thanks a million for this, after taking your advice my Vegas 11 hasn't crashed either! From crashing every few minutes to a stable platform is impressive. Thanks for all your research, I pretty much gave up on a solution.

Has anyone experienced audio jumping skipping randomly around during playback? Sometimes when I playback or render I get different audio clips that randomly plays, skips around with no relation to the actual audio playing. Restarting Vegas solves the problem.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM   #36
New Boot

I'm very happy it helped, Nicholas! :)

About your audio problems, I haven't got a clue. Never experienced that. Some glitches I've had, but mainly because of lack of processor power when playback on best quality, full HD. On my old computer, I had to select "Good quality>Half" for smooth playback.

Did you try to put 3-4 hundred HD clips on your timeline?
Sadly, after some 200 clips or more, my problems are still there, but for smaller projects, the fix worked great. I'm happy it did so for you too! :)

br Dag Halvorsen
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #37
Major Player

Has anyone experienced audio jumping skipping randomly around during playback? Sometimes when I playback or render I get different audio clips that randomly plays, skips around with no relation to the actual audio playing. Restarting Vegas solves the problem.

I've had that as well, manifesting itself in audio clips appearing to be out of sync where I've had projects with multiple video and audio tracks. It would happen when I click between tracks during playback trying to find the one with the best audio. Now I Pause before switching audio tracks and that seems to have done the trick. And yes sometimes a relaunch has been necessary.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:15 PM   #38
Major Player

Dag my Vegas has been crashing non stop so I'll have give it some time to see how it handles bigger projects now. The fix works extremely well thanks.

Usually I import all my clips into one project easily 500 clips then from there I break them into smaller projects/sections. I easily break a project into 10 different project I then render each section to a lossless codec & recombined them with a smart render (no re-rendering required) as one complete project. I also find it works better to render in sections so if I decide to change something later on I don't have to render the entire project out again only the affected section.

Pete I'm usually switch between tracks myself as I edit audio, will have a look into that.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Dag, Nicholas, I'm interested to know what audio cards you are running? Please also confirm, you changed this setting in V11pro - 64bit, yes?

It's very interesting that track buffering settings are implicated in this instability - I'm off to change my track buffering settings in v11-64, and will report back. However, I'm scheduled on other things today...
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:36 PM   #40
Major Player

Seth I'm running Vegas 11 Pro 64bit, using onboard audio from a high end Gigabyte motherboard, haven't seen a point to getting additional audio hardware with the current quality of onboard. I notice no performance difference with buffering turned off.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Dag, I may have found the answer to our problem with very frequent crashing on playback.

When I checked the Detail Report for the crash it listed an "Unmanaged Exception 0xc0000005"

So I did a search to see if anyone else had this and what they found.

From the Sony Vegas forum:
"This may not help in your situation but it helped me with my weird Vegas 10d crashes.

Do a Vegas "reset to default values"

Close the program. Now press CTRL+SHIFT while double-clicking on the program's icon to launch it. Continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully up and loaded.

In newer programs, you will see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?" Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click Yes."

I tried it and so far so good!!

Just remember to check all of your preferences as they will be reset to default values.

Hope it helps.
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:20 AM   #42
Major Player

My crashes always seem to happen when I've added an effect on the video track. The most recent (see attached screen grab) was when I was closing the Color Corrector. Vegas just froze and locked and didn't even give me the option to send an error report.

NewBlue Titler was a problem in early versions of Vegas 11 for me, but since recent patches (and as long as I close the Titler window) it seems more stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Vegas 11 Crashing! Help!-vegas.jpg  
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #43
Major Player

Matt the latest NewBlue Titler instantly crashes my Vegas 11 when loaded. In Vegas 10 I always had the problem of Vegas crashing during playback when I applied effects like Magic Bullet. I had to stop playback and then apply an effect.
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM   #44
Major Player

Hi Nicholas, I'm using the NewBlue Titler version 120402, not the very latest version, following advice on this forum.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:31 AM   #45
Sponsor: JET DV

Matt, build 120402 *IS* the "latest version" for Vegas Pro.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...