Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 72 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #1066
Regular Crew

If you just want to get the same sound in both the left and right channel, then right click on the audio clip in the timeline, select Channels, then either Left Only or Right Only depending upon which channel has the audio that you want. Now assuming that the audio track's Pan control is in the center, the mono signal will be output to both the left and right stereo channels.

Randall
Old September 15th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #1067
Wrangler

Perfect!
Thanks. I love easy simple answers, and Vegas always seems to deliver.
Old September 15th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #1068
Major Player

Are you talking about Sonic Foundary Noise Reduction 2.0, or sound forge?
Old September 15th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #1069
Major Player

Hey Harry,
If you're referring to my post, I mean opening a copy in Sound Forge (from V4), making adjustments, saving (as many instances as you wish) and selecting which take you want to use (or audition) in V4. If you're replying to someone elses post...then never mind : )
Randy
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #1070
Major Player

It seems as though we are talking about two different programs here. One is the Noise reduction 2.0, and the other is sound forge. I am trying to decide which one would be the most useful for repairing audio in my video captures, that is why this thread caught my attention. It looks like both programs will help "take the hiss out", clipping etc. The lead thread hear started out talking about the Noise reduction program, and somewhere down the line everyone started talking about Sound Forge, and I got confused.
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:16 AM   #1071
Regular Crew

noise reduction is a plugin that works in both vegas and soundforge. I don't know what I would choose if I had to choose between noise reduction and soundforge. I would try to get both. Are you a student or teacher so you can get the educational discount?

I think if all you want to do is reduce noise get Noise Reduction and use it in Vegas. Sound forge can do more than Vegas can as far as sound goes but you should try to figure out what plug ins/features sound forge has over Vegas then decide if it would be worth it.
Old September 16th, 2003, 06:53 AM   #1072
Major Player

What Jake said.
And if you do qualify for the educational price, you can get the bundle for $220 at

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=575042&qk_srch=noise+reduction

Almost worth going back to school for : )
Randy
Old September 16th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #1073
Major Player

My daughter is in college?
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #1074
Regular Crew

then have her order it for you
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #1075
Regular Crew

Long Project Capture Workflow

I am working on a one hour documentary and am trying to come up with a good workflow for capturing and cataloging tapes in Vegas. The following is what I want to do:

1. Capture most or all of a tape as a single file. I have the hard disk space for this and capturing once reduces the wear and tear on the tape by not having to go back and forward to set in/out points, etc. for multiple clips.

2. Cut the long clip into multiple short clips while retaining the original timecode and tape name info. This way I don't waste hard disk space for stuff that I don't need. I will delete the big clips once it has been split up.

3. Input the resulting multiple short clips info back into Vegas Capture so that if need be, the short clips could be recaptured from tape.

Number 1 is easy. For number 2, I have experimented with using the Vegas timeline to define regions for each of the short clips, then rendering these to separate files. The main problem is that I lose the original timecode and tape name info. I found a way to retain the timecode by setting the timeline's starting timecode to the starting timecode of the region in the original file. However, I don't see any way to set the tape name in a rendered file.

Number 3 appears to be difficult since the capture database file does not appear to have any API nor appears to be documented. This is not too critical since I can always manually capture a specific timecode range from a tape if I know the original timecode and tape name.

Does anyone know of any scripts for doing number 2 (cutting the big clip into small clips based upon regions and retaining the original time code)?

Randall
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #1076
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas cannot do exactly what you want to do. You can do some similar things but not everything exactly the way you want.

If you simply want to extract the good clips from a larger clip on the timeline, the Tsunami script will do that. However, it will NOT allow you to write it back to a different tape with the same timecode - I know of nothing that will.

If you can keep the original clip, it IS possible to create regions in the trimmer that can be saved and viewed in the EXPLORER window - not the media pool.
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #1077
Regular Crew

How to set Vegas to auto detect record regoins?

Hi everyone,
First time using these boards so bear with me. When I was using Sony Premium DV tapes and importing to Vegas Capture, it would detect each segment of the tape and set make individual files for each place I recorded. Now, I changed tapes to Fuji and it just records one HUGE file. Is this because of the difference of tapes? or did I change a setting without knowing it.

Any responses would help.

Thanks guys.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #1078
Sponsor: JET DV

The tape should have NOTHING to do with it. Also, unless you have gone into Options - Preferences and changed the "Enable Scene Detection" setting, this probably also did not change. However, one factor that *may* have changed is your camera. Is the date/time set? If not, set it and it will start working again on newly recorded tapes. Scene detection works on jumps in the date/time of the recording.
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #1079
Inner Circle

You can use Scenalyzer in case you're really stuck. It can split up clips visually (when the picture changes drastically).

You usually need to set the date/time on the camera as was already mentioned.
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #1080
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Edward. Where does one find the Tsunami script?

It seems from reading the Vegas Script API that it should be possible to set the timecode correctly in the "good" clips. Does Tsunami attempt to do that?

I don't need to write the good clips back to tape, I just need to keep the original timecode info so that if I need to recapture, I don't have to search the entire tape.

Thanks,

Randall
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...