Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2003, 08:31 AM   #1036
Inner Circle

the audio distortion i was referring to was from the whites/brightness exceeding broadcast range, which can cause interferance with the audio. Not the file itself, but the TV's amp.

Your TV should display the image as it is recorded onto tape, its the monitor which will be darker than the tv.

Obviosuly it depends on how youve callibrated the monitor.
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #1037
Wrangler

Does anyone know if Vegas uses video overlay to display the preview window. I remember in Premiere that you could open up your video card's overlay controls while in Premiere to adjust the display of the preview window. It even had options for "overlay" and "primary surface". I don't see these settings in Vegas?

I'm assuming Vegas doesn't' use overlay to display the preview window- reason being: I distinctly remember my still captures from within Premier turning out much darker than how they looked in the Preview window. Obviously showing it was a discrepency between monitor display calibration and overlay display settings. However in Vegas my captures look exactly like they do from within Vegas's preview window.
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #1038
Inner Circle

it depends on the network and what theyre requirements are.
But broadcast safe colour is a legal requirement now.
About 15 years ago i remember watching tv and the ads would come on and bang, half the audio was washed out in buzz evertime white came on screen.

Vegas has a broadcast safe filter which has templates for settings pertaining to where you are geographically in the world.

i would suggest you use these. However as your doing a commercial for broadcast use, i would strongly suggest you get in touch with the stations and find out what they require.

they might prefer to use their own. Im no expert in this as i dont usually work outside my little world, but im sure there are afew people here who can assist you with this query

as for vectorscopes, these allow you to view the colour range and together with the colour corection, allow for precise colour reprocessing
Old September 11th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #1039
Wrangler

No the pop up stopped coming up, I just get Vegas 3.0
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #1040
Wrangler

Are there any books or literature that describe how exactly to use them?

Also where is the broadcast safe filters? What do they do- simply tone down saturations and bright colors to bring them into the broadcast safe spectrum.

Lastly from the way you described it broadcast safe colors were enforce specifically because of audio distortion...do I have this correct?
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #1041
Wrangler

Uninstall Vegas 3.0.
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #1042
Wrangler

Oh jeez I didn't even know there WAS a 1.5. Is it an upgrade or do I have to uninstall it completly and install 1.5 fresh?

Still with the sync tool it leaves the audio of the top clip in place when syncing...and I made extra sure all clips and their audio were selected.
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #1043
Wrangler

:-) Okay that worked. Thanks.
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #1044
Sponsor: JET DV

I'll send you 1.5 with the proper install info.
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #1045
Warden

I used to work in broadcast in a fairly large market (Cincinnati) and the stations will run your video through processors that will correct the colors that are out of range. Depending on the quality of the processors that fix the signal and how the station engineers have them set, will determine how good your footage looks broadcast.

We used an HP model that allowed you to see the illegal colors and adjust them. If you were in a hurry or if it was being feed to a satellite etc. we'd push a button marked Make Legal and it would fix the colors. Most of the time it would look good. Occasionally it would clip the colors pretty hard.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #1046

Here is a list of fixes made to Excalibur from the initial release to version 1.5.

Version 1.0b 5/12/2003
1. Corrected problem reading the Marker Interval from the INI file.

Version 1.5 6/12/2003
Excalibur now requires Vegas 4.0c to run

1. Leave Holes may now be turned off in Multi-Cam Wizard even if effects have been added.
2. Eliminated possibility of duplicate nodes in Voice Over Wizard.
3. Now sets the default point in Velocity Wizard instead of creating a second point.
4. Sync Wizard is no longer Case-Sensitive.
5. Multi-Cam Wizard is no longer Case-Sensitive.
6. Multi-Cam Wizard now works correctly with Non-SMPTE rulers.
7. Multi-Cam Wizard "Dissolve By Default" option added (Requires "C" (i.e. "MC") for cut)
8. Voice-Over Wizard new option to Remove Previous Volume Adjustments.
9. Multi-Cam Wizard new option to alternate between two cameras without naming each marker.
10. Corrected problem reading Gap Dissolve from the INI file.
11. Gap Wizard now works when items are at the beginning of the timeline.
12. Gap Wizard now adds dissolves on cuts even when "Maintain Original Overlaps" is checked while allowing true overlaps to remain.
13. Corrected problem where Multi-Cam Wizard could skip moving a clip to the "Master" track.
14. Fade Wizard now has an option to change only the front fade or change only the end fade.
15. Corrected problem reading Fade Wizard options from the INI file.
16. Corrected problem not doing a first dissolve.
17. Corrected problem doing one and a half on the second dissolve.
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:40 AM   #1047

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Still with the sync tool it leaves the audio of the top clip in place when syncing...and I made extra sure all clips and their audio were selected. -->>>

Sound like it could be an upper/lower case issue. Version 1.5 should fix this for you.
Old September 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #1048
Major Player

I don't know anything about the Vegas filters, but I happen to know what legal colors are...Analog TV broadcasting means that the transmitter radiates amplitude modulated HF signals. This means for that the amplitude of the carrier (HF signal) is being changed in accordance to the video amplitude. NTSC uses "negative modulation" meaning that the brightest signal parts result in the lowest amplitudes. Because of the way audio is added (FM moulated carrier) and regenerated in the receivers (intercarrier), it turns out that the lowest value of the transmitted carrier must be above 10% in order to let the intercarrier demodulation at the receiver side work flawlessly (no rattle,buzz..). This means that the signals which are fed into the modulator at the transmitter side need to have limited amplitudes. Knowing that luma and chroma signals are being summed up before modulation, it's luma AND chroma(color) which need to be limited below a given level. Some of the summed up luma/chroma combinations can generate signals which have amplitudes which would end up in "overmodulation" (<10%) even when the luma (=B&W part) is perfectly within the limits. Those chroma signals which would cause this overmodulation in combination with legal luma signals are called "illegal colors". I suppose Vegas clips or indicates those unwanted combinations.
Old September 11th, 2003, 11:13 AM   #1049
Major Player

Andre

I sure am glad there are guys like you out there that understand that stuff! I got a headache just reading it!!!
Old September 11th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #1050
Wrangler

*in my best Homer Simpson voice* Ahhhhhhhh, OK.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...