Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 74 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #1096
Wrangler

Pretty detailed explanaition for a "hobbyist"! (Read your profile, lol) So in short-hand it's normal, I knew it really wouldn't have any negligable impact on the video but I'm a perfectionist. Thanks!

Ed I'm assuming I'm still running 1.0 but I did get the upgrade you mailed me. Is it actually an upgrade or a stand-alone?
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1097
Trustee

LOL. :) I learned a ton about this topic by editing a DVD of a 3-camera, 2-night, 2-audio-source recording of a 3-hour musical (i.e. 18 hours of footage and 12 hours of audio). All in Vegas.

In over my head? Hell yeah! But after only 4 months of non-stop work (an entire summer!) I came out something of an expert. :)
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #1098
Sponsor: JET DV

Glen, just install it and it will replace the existing one. All of these installs are "full versions". However, you WILL have to be on at least 4.0c. This fixed some problems in Multi-cam where events were not moved to the master track correctly. I have used version 1.5 extensively and it seems solid.
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #1099
Major Player

DVD architect, what have I missed ?

Hello DVDA folks,

Need help on DVDA. have done all the upgrades, my need is basic, I created a file, created a button, double click on button and my video comes up at the bottom of the time scale, preview does preview my video, file is saved, was imported as mpeg2 and ac-3, put burned disc in home DVD player, menu comes up, my picture I selected is the background, button I made has the right picture in it, press play, counter starts, picture turns black, gets to 6 or 7 seconds into playing and goes back to beggining menu. trying to create a basic DVD, one title, one button, nothing fancy but I obviously don't know what I am doing. Read the book, followed the steps, I originally used DVD-RW so as not to waste and thought that was the problem, so I tried DVD-R and made a coaster, any help appreciated. (this is obviously my first time using vegas 4 and DVD A). It's like I have missed something (the link) between the button and the video. Can I use RW and expect it to play in my RCA home DVD player?? Tried disc in computer and windows XP Pro media player said could not play "Error ID = 0xC00D116A, Remedy ID = 0x00000000"

P.S. When I save files they end in INK??

At this point brain surgery seems it would be an easier thing to learn. I will continue reading,

Thanks for any help.
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #1100

To create a DVD with a single button pointing to a single menu, start a new standard DVD project, drag the file from the explorer window to the menu. That's it. Then tell it to prepare and burn and you should be done.

Take a look at Issue #7 of my newsletter at http://www.jetdv.com/tts
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #1101
Major Player

My DVD player does not work with RW apparently. I did the same thing I had done before but used a DVD-R. The only problem is I have a full audio section on the DVD before the Video and audio start (I did not load any other audio files). I double checked and have no background audio loaded on the page properties. The only thing I can think of is when you drag the clip to the main menu it somehow loads an audio clip. Even though I just used a JPEG for the page background, I still have a button that apperently has video inside because it said it had to be "compressed". Thanks for the help. I did read the suggested area but still lack some intermidiate knowledge about chapters, starting points, etc. Also looks a little grainy but I think the gain of the camera shows up more because brightly lit subjects are very clear.
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #1102
Major Player

With the menu page showing on the desktop, look at the file list over on the right hand side of the work area. One on top is for template, or background. The one underneath that will load an audio file. Just clear that block if you don't want sound playing while the menu is showing.
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #1103

You may want to check the File - Properties - Introductory media setting and see if you have something there. If you do, delete it.
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:43 AM   #1104
Inner Circle

if you have a playstation 2, it WILL play DVDRW...

alot of people forget this, but it does come in VERY handy sometimes!
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #1105
Major Player

One last question folks, what is the easiest way to erase projects? I had to go into C drive to erase the projects but can't seem to remove them from the DVDA list under file.
Thanks
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #1106
Major Player

Hi Don,

I had similiar problems. My solution was to change the sound from AC3 to PCM, after that I could play my home-made DVD:s in my standalone DVD player.

Good luck!

// Lazze
Old September 20th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #1107
Inner Circle

"My solution was to change the sound from AC3 to PCM, after that I could play my home-made DVD:s in my standalone DVD player."

you shouldnt have to do this...

your player should have a selection for PCM, MPG & DTS audio, by using PCM, you are not taking advantage of the compression used in ac3 encoding, do your audio is probably 3 times larger than what it could be if it was ac3.

not all players like the media, however architect conforms to standard DVD file system, so the ONLY reasonit wont play is due to a player not having access to DVD-r playback or teh DVD player itself isnt configured to decode ac3.
check the dvd menu, it should have a menu config setup info for your.

good luck
Old September 20th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #1108
Wrangler

Does it also fix the problem with the sync tool not carrying the audio over from the top clip?
Old September 20th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #1109
Major Player

I tried making DVD's using "single movie" mode, now I am making coasters with no sound but nice video. Starting to get really frusterated as I have read everything and am no longer discovering anything of assistance. Now need new remote and almost needed new TV. On make movie I show both video and audio files on right side of page.

What does it take to burn a DVD with video and sound. I need a step by step method as so far nothing is step by step, my video is rendered to mpeg2 in Vegas then create an ac-3. Using Architect templates I have to render video then audio seperately, In menu mode do you have to drag both the audio and and video to the main menu, how do you merge the two as they are seperate buttons on the main menu. so far I have made everything but a good DVD, 1. DVD with audio and video but an extra audio in front of the video, 2. just audio, 3. just video, I am loosing patience fast. sorry, I seem to keep doing the same thing and getting different results.

Thanks for the advice guys, in Vegas 4 I don't see a PCM, is it called something else.
Old September 20th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #1110
Major Player

Success,

The only thing I did different was to not use jpegs for the button and front menu, I also made sure that I had both AC-3 audio and MPG video file on media properties, when it rendered it rendered 2 of 2 objects instead of 3 0f 3. Which is where I am guessing I picked up the additional audio track and subsequently tried to get rid of and deleted needed audio.

the possibility exists that the jpegs had something to do with it or I was letting frustration get the best of me, but I sincerely believe I had a good grasp of things but the possibility still exist that I just crossed over my own tracks so many times that I didn't know what I had.

Unless for some reason the jpegs had an effect, I will let you know soon.

Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...