Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #151
Regular Crew

Get the PDF manual. The help files are not so good.
Sometimes things are so easy in the program that it eludes us.
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:44 PM   #152

Rick--

You took the words right out of my mouth. The more I use and learn about Vegas Video, the more excited I get about it. And it costs a fraction of the so-called "high-end" NLEs, and is every bit as powerful!
Old November 10th, 2002, 10:50 PM   #153
Rextilleon

We have to get our English cousins away from Pinnacle and into Vegas----Obviously Sonic doesn't have the money to market this fantastic product overseas---
Old November 14th, 2002, 01:20 PM   #154
Major Player

Vegas Vieoe Media Pool

I just got Vegas Video and am very impressed. I can;t seem to find a way to tell Vegas to relocate the video pool. I want all captures to go to a dedictaed drive and can;t find the settings to move it? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old November 14th, 2002, 02:03 PM   #155
Sponsor: JET DV

Certainly. There are MANY settings that need to be adjusted for personal settings.

First, go to File - Properties and set the Pre-rendered file folder, and check the box that says "start all new projects with these settings" on the first tab. On the second tab, do the same thing for the Recorded files folder.

Make sure you go through all the settings in Options - Preferences. There are many personal things that can be changed.

Finally, to specify the capture location, Go to File - Capture Video. This brings up the video capture program. In this program, go to Options - Preferences.

Click on the Disk Management tab, delete the default entry, and add the location(s) where you want the files captured. If you enter multiple locations, it will automatically go to the second location once the first location gets full.

Also, go to the Capture tab and UNCHECK the Minimum clip length box. If you want every time you stopped and started the camera to go into a separate clip, make sure Enable DV Scene Detection is checked. Otherwise, uncheck this box to get one LARGE file containing all of the clips instead.

Once again, go through all of the settings on the tabs and set the preferences to suit your needs.
Old November 14th, 2002, 02:20 PM   #156
New Boot

Vegas DV codec...

I'm very close to giving premiere the boot in favor of Vegas Video 3. It does everything I need it to do quicker and more efficiently.

I LOVE my Adobe products...but SoFo has won my heart with this release...(I've been using their audio apps for years!).

I still use After Effects as my compositing/titling/effects proggie. Always have. Always will. The main reason I'm taking VV over Premiere is the proprietary SoFo DV codec that all VV3 users know and love. I've heard amazing things about this codec!

Now...here's my question...will I be able to use the SoFo codec within After Effects to compress to a DV .avi, thus bypassing that dang MS codec? If this is possible...I could be unstoppable with a VV/AE workflow!!! ;0)

Thanks in advance for your responses. I've been lurking on these boards for a while now. I've learned soooo much! Thanks all!
Old November 14th, 2002, 03:01 PM   #157
Sponsor: JET DV

The short answer is NO. However, you CAN use both AE and VV.

To transfer clips from VV to AE and from AE to VV, use Uncompressed AVI files. Once the file is back to VV, render it back to NTSC DV using the sofo codec.

So, even though AE cannot use the sofo codec, AE and VV CAN interchange clips.
Old November 14th, 2002, 04:15 PM   #158
Major Player

DAH, so obvous I missed this. Thanks! I see now, explains why temp files and captures were going to 2 different places!!
Old November 14th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #159
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

make sure you use VV ( not AE) to change the clip from DV avi to uncompressed avi or uncompressed QT

when you complete AE FX's render out as uncompressed avi/Qt ... then use VV to change uncompressed clip back to dv.avi = that way you will always be using the SOFO dv codec when you uncompress and compress ... if you use AE for either it will default and use the microsoft DV codec uncompress ...
Old November 14th, 2002, 08:36 PM   #160
New Boot

Thanks!

Uncompressed .avi in AE is bogging down my system. Since the SoFo codec is so "generation friendly" could I export from VV using the SoFo codec...do my work in AE...render that to an uncompressed...and re-compress it in VV?

The only step I'm thinking of changing is the exporting from VV as an uncompressed. If I can work with the SoFo compressed DV in AE, my processor will thank me.

I understand that it's throwing an extra compression in the export from VV, but the entire run would only compress it twice.
Raw DV files from my GL2 imported into VV > render to SoFo .avi codec for export into AE (One generation) > Import into AE > Add effects in AE and export to uncompressed .avi > Import into VV and recompress to SoFo codec .avi (Second generation)

It works in my head...and since the SoFo codec theoretically can recompress 10x without any visible loss (I've even seen that impressive 50x test)...isn't this loss minimal?

Thanks again for your help!
Old November 15th, 2002, 08:02 AM   #161
RED Code Chef

No. After Effects does not understand the VV DV Codec, so you
cannot read the VV material in AE and then export to uncompressed,
at least not to my knowledge.

Good luck.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 15th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #162

I would suggest using the MainConcept DV codec. It's almost as good as the SoFo codec.....I think something like 30 generations before a degredation can be noticed. In order to have the MainConcept codec overwrite the default M$ codec in Adobe products, use a little utility called DVSWITCH or go into your registry and manually change QDVC.dll to MCDVD_32.dll.

I can't beleive ADOBE is still so regressive as to force use of the M$ crappy DV codec.
Old November 17th, 2002, 03:41 PM   #163
Wrangler

Vegas Video: real time preview - setup?

Could some explain this in more detail? How does it work, what cables do you need etc. Do you need a TV out card or do you connect the monitor to 1394?? Or is it a pass through your camera?

I'm a little confused since I saw this in a review:

"Vegas Video 3's ability to see what you're really doing, previewing all your work through 1394 on an NTSC or PAL monitor in real time"
Old November 17th, 2002, 05:10 PM   #164
Inner Circle

Basic setup requires analog out from your camcorder.

1.Have your camcorder hooked up to your firewire card as if you are capturing video. (Make sure camera is on).
2. If you camcorder has analog out (composite or Svideo), run a composite or svideo cable to either a field monitor or at least a good television.
3. Make sure the camcorder is in play or vcr mode, not record mode.
4. Click the 'preview on external monitor'button on the upper left
of the video preview panel in Vegas.
5. Set the options for either PAL or NTSC (which ever is appropriate)
6. Vegas will take it from there.

Without the 1394 out, the previews are done on your computer monitor.

Das ist alle!

Joe C.
Old November 18th, 2002, 11:45 AM   #165
Inner Circle

from over at the cow

In the independent film forum, oneriver media posted their
latest codec results (mainly for Apple and FCP).
One of the ones they had highest praise for was the codec from black magic designs.

It has options for both 8bit and 10bit encoding/ editing.

Just on a whim, I emailed them to see if they had a Quicktime for Windows version. It turns out they do, and it's free, as in
beer.
Heres, the link
http://203.94.147.64/
select support then scroll down till you see the options for ms windows on the right side of the screen.
if you don't have it, you will also need to download the free version of stuffit (they have a link to the site).

I think you will need Quicktime Pro also. Not sure about that, though I have it.

Test>
I downloaded/expanded and installed the qtx file to the winnt/system32/Quicktime folder on my c drive.

I launced the demo version of DVfilmmaker to convert an avi file I captured with Vegas to Quicktime/blackmagic codec. All went well. I then opened up Vegas, an existing project, and added the clip in mov format to the timeline, automatically creating a crossfade event. Played back the changed timeline in realtime. Everything works.

Now all I need is an SDI card with an WDM driver and I have High Quality 10bit video capabilities with Vegas. Very very cool.

It should work with anything that can use Quicktime.

BlackMagic is a lossless 10bit 4:2:2 codec as well as a
lossless 8bit 4:2:2 codec. It's a better alternative than using no compression (avi or Quicktime), especially if you are rendering comps to Quicktime from AE or some other tool. The files are significantly smaller.
You can also work with FCP users if you need to. It's the codec used for the AJA and Kona SDI capture cards on PowerMacs.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...