Vegas Video discussions from 2002 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #106
Inner Circle

Sonic Foundry makes a DirectX plug-in called noise reduction that is rated quite excellent. But it does cost.
You might want to go to
http://www.directxfiles.com
to find links to less expensive ones if you are on a budget. Most people I know swear by the sonicfoundry plug-in, but at 279.00 it's not a trivial purchase.
Old October 6th, 2002, 01:17 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Thank you so much for help with this question.
I appreciate the link as well to find other prices!
Old October 6th, 2002, 02:08 PM   #108
Sponsor: JET DV

You can also play with the built-in equilization tools to try to reduce the frequencies where the noise occurs. This has helped me many times.
Old October 6th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Edward you wrote:

You can also play with the built-in equilization tools to try to reduce the frequencies where the noise occurs.

Are these built-in equilization tools in Video Vegas? Is that what you are referring to?

thanks
Old October 6th, 2002, 04:31 PM   #110

To get answers for Vegas Video 3.0, I strongly suggest you visit:
http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

This is their user support forum. Excellent support from techs as well as other, expert users of Vegas Video.
Old October 8th, 2002, 12:13 PM   #111
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, the equilization tool that are built-in to Vegas can help you bring out certain frequencies while reducing others. There are two main equilization tools: Track EQ and Graphic EQ.

Graphic EQ equates to a typical equalizer.

Track EQ is different in that you can specify 4 frequencies, set whether to amplify or decrease, and pick the bandwidth to effect. It is an interesting control that takes experimentation. Fortunately, you can make changes in real time and listen to the results.
Old October 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #112
Regular Crew

AC 5.1 Encoding and DVD Burning possibly in Vegas Video 4.0. A heads up!

Just wanted to let you guys know that Sonic Foundry (makers of Vegas Video) have announced AC5.1 and DVD encoding plugins for Acid Pro 4.0.

I'm assuming this means that Vegas Video 4.0 will also have this ability when it comes out.

Also, I heard that the price tag for VV4.0 might shoot up, as it gains market share, so you might want to get 3.0 now, if you're thinking about it.

Also, for people with VV3.0, check this out:
http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/

apparently it's some kind of new video plugin that allows you to do Michael Jackson style morphing.. remember at the end of Black Or White? that kinda stuff. Its in beta, but it could be cool to check out.

If VV4.0 has DVD burning abilities, as well as 5.1 encoding, and the already excellent Noise Reduction plugins... this might be *the* premier NLE for PC.

-Eric
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #113
Inner Circle

this is pure speculation on my part... What will most probably happen is SoFo will make it easy to move from Vegas to Acid for final output. It would made sense for Acid to be able to read .veg files, let you make further audio adjustments then render verything out without having to go back to Vegas. Or they will come out with a seperate professional DVD authoring app the will take the projects from both. Or...

you could be absolutely right.
Old October 10th, 2002, 01:13 PM   #114
Regular Crew

here is my rationale for thinking the plugs will be available in VV4.0

when people found out that acid4.0 would support 5.1 mixing, the vegas community @ the sonic foundry forums freaked out, and said they wanted it for VV4.0. An official person @ Sonic Foundry hinted at the fact that this support would also be in VV4.0

Then once the 5.1 dvd burning plugs were announced, in the vegas forums we saw this post:

The burning utility will let you burn your surround mixes to DVD, but that is all it does- this is not a full blown authoring tool. The 5.1 encoder is where the value is-this thing will sell for less than half of any other 5.1 AC-3 encoder currently on the market. The encoder works with ACID 4 only at of right now, so be aware of that.

Note the usage of 'as of right now', I assume this means that once 4.0 comes out, Vegas will be able to use those plugs as well.

We can only hope :)

-Eric
Old October 11th, 2002, 09:56 AM   #115
Wrangler

VV has alawys been a pretty good package. The only thing I would like to see Sonic Foundry add is support for Canon 4-track.

I am a Cinestream user, who is very disappointed with the owners Discreet. I think CS is a great package and works well, but no one can tell whether Discreet is going to can it or not. Considering how well it works, I can stick with it for years.

Among the CS user groups, VV is held in high regard. Most people think VV is worth purchasing for its video compressors alone. If they add a DVD system, I think they will have a winning product. However, if they want a significant part of the market, they will have to keep the pricing attactive or they will drive potential customers to the Adobe Suite.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Old October 11th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Most of the time when someone mentions extra firewire features like 4-track, the recommendation comes out to use Scenalizer Live. It's a standalone firewire capture tool with alot of really nice features, and only costs $40. http://www.scenalyzer.com

Can't comment on it personally since I don't use it, but it's got a free demo to try...
Old October 11th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #117
Inner Circle

Nathan, as a former FreeDV/EditDV user, I was totally disappointed how discreet handled things. I always felt VV3 was what EditDV could have been under the right leadership. Discreet only wants to stay involved in the high end. There was a great on line community of FreeDV users, learning how to edit...using the software.... Discreet simply shut it down.
It would be great if SoFo offered some sort of low cost cross-grade pricing for Cinestream users.

You would enjoy the VV comunity much better than the Cinestream one, not just because of the users(who are a great bunch), but because SoFo is listening to their customers.

The way Discreet has handled the whole EditDV/Cinestream issue is appalling.

Good Luck.
Old October 11th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #118
Wrangler

I agree about Discreet. Still Discreet supports a CS users group which they allow to run unimpeded. Great bunch of people there too.

VV is excellent package which I have tried. CS 3.1, however, performs extremely well and with the tutorial CDs from Claire Watson and Ron Bridegroom makes it a rocking system.

The simple truth about CS, is even with it faults (audio mostly) it is quite powerful.

Like you say I would be very happy with VV, and if they make another rock bottom offer again on their system I might well purchase one.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:21 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Nathan, this is pure speculation on my part....

Maybe if you got enough CS users together and aproached SoFo for low cost cross- grade they might listen. Ask them if they would give you the full version at a Student Price, or at least around the $200.00 mark. All they can do is say no.
Old October 12th, 2002, 05:01 AM   #120
Regular Crew

actually, if you buy VideoFactory2.0 from Sofo for $59.99 I think it is, you can then buy the upgrade to VV3.0 for $199.99

$260 isn't that bad as opposed to the $420 list price
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...