Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old September 17th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #886
Wrangler

I use the XL-1 4-track audio all the time, though you could do the same in 2-track.

When I use 4-track I keep the onboard mic on the main channels and hook up the wireless to on of the sub channels.

When you take it to the NLE it is a good idea to keep the 12 bit track separated from the 16 bit. When you render, you save the final audio to the 16 bit production track.

This gives you a very nice natural stereo audio and allows you to mix your mono voice track anyway you want.

One caution: You cannot listen easily to all 4-tracks when shooting. You can list to the mains or sub tracks, but when you listen to both together you actually listening to cam's mix of all 4-tracks.

Once you have done this a few times you will rarely have problems.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #887
Regular Crew

hmmm...

im thinking that an NLE isnt going to export it back out the way this lady wants it...and its been soooooo long since ive dealt with linear that i cant remember how the audio is handled.....i will need to do some more research....i thought it was similar to the way the GL1/XL1s does the second track at a slightly lower bitrate...so its still L/R audio channels, but a separate channel. I thought maybe someone in here had some more recent linear experience that might be able to point me more in the area i need.

I really dont think my teacher my knows how the audio channels work with miniDV...but she did say i could turn it in on miniDV...so im thinking maybe it wont matter.

Old September 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #888
Sponsor: JET DV

I think I'd start by giving it to her with the voice on the left and nat on the right (or the other way around). If she asks, you can explain that they ARE separate.

Here's another possibility but would require going analog: Send the standard video and single stereo channel via firewire to a convertor. Run the convertor to the camera with the audio connected to stereo 1. Send the OTHER stereo channel to the sound card and run that output direct to stereo 2. This would allow you to get a 4-channel tape direct from Vegas.
Old September 18th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #889
Major Player

Any faster way of changing between two color corrected needs?

Hey all. Well I'm finishing up the editing on my first short film that actually had a producer, budget and crew but I've run into some interesting situations. The film is around 18 minutes long and all the while I've been color correcting for web delivery (don't ask why) but now I have a need to prepare the project for DVD delivery to be viewed on TV's. Is there a fast way to remove all the event fx on each track without going to each shot and removing them manually? (every shot has atleast color curves applied) I tried the split screen function on the preview window to just make the prev window bypass all fx and then render out but the render didn't reflect this not to mention I still will need some mild color correction after started back over clean. Any suggestions? What do you guys do?

By the way I'm in Vegas 4e. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I'm staying with 5 for 24p stuff and using my friends dvda2.
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #890

Tsunami has a tool that will remove all effects from all selected events. Just click the link under my name for more details.
Old September 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #891
Major Player

Nice, that'll save my afternoon. Thanks Edward.
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #892
Major Player

Strange problem, need a good solution fast.

I have a strange problem and a deadline..
I need a good fast solution... FAST!

I use Vegas 5, Camera XL1s, PC system.
PAL!

When I captured a simple pal file from my XL1
it looks okay, but when I put it in a project and try to
render it out it looks really bad. I have some serious
interlace problems.. Anyone have had the same experiance
and know a good solution..

SCREENSHOT:

http://www.atamashi.com/012.jpg
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #893
Major Player

I've noticed this only happens Vegas 5.0
Not in my old 4.0

Anyone have this problem?
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #894
Wrangler

It would probably would be more useful if you put up a screenshot of your project and render settings with some info on the original format of the video.

From the JPEG image, I don't see the severe combing/shearing I associate with interlace problems. It looks more like a lot of blur. Off the top of my head, it looks like the video is being converted to progressive somewhere and that might be the problem.

Does the rendered footage look like that when you play it back on an interlaced device?
Old September 19th, 2004, 06:10 PM   #895
Major Player

Yes, it looks like that on a monitor,
I deinterlaced it because it should be easier to see what I meant.

I've fiddled around with the render settings a trillion ways and that doesn't help...

I guess it's back to Vegas 4 to finish this project..
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #896

Try comparing settings between Vegas 4 and Vegas 5. Sounds like something, somewhere, is set differently. Check all of the File - Properties, Options - Preferences, and Render As settings to confirm all are the same.
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #897
Regular Crew

Widescreen Rendering

I am having a problem and hope you guys can help me out. I am trying to render a project in NTSC widescreen and when I do it letterboxes the sides, not the top and bottom. Why is this? Thanks.

Mitch
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #898
Wrangler

Was the original video shot in 4:3 or widescreen/16:9? If it is in 4:3 you'll need to crop off the top and the bottom to get the widescreen look.
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:20 AM   #899
RED Code Chef

Simon: although Vegas allows scripting you do not have access
to a lot of things to make some really powerfull scripts like you
are suggesting. Let's hope they add more stuff to the scripting
interface shortly (wouldn't get my hopes up though).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #900
Inner Circle

2 things..

4:3 footage is just that..it wont change regardless of your project..

so you MUST set the file/cli[ within the timeline to 16:9 AND the Project properties to DV Widescreen to get the full effect

Alternatively u can set vidcap to capture in 16:9 which will do an automatic conversion for u.. which i woudl suggest not to..
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...