2nd-unit.tv looking good! - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old June 29th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #106
Capt. Quirk

Well... as long as it isn't, like weeks or something. A day or two is ok. Don't kill yourselves, but no slackin either ;)
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #107
2nd Unit TV

Thanks guys but once a Marine always a Marine. When it's all said and done (I still hate that saying almost as much as "At the end of the day") your word is all you have. I missed keeping my word once to a very close friend, Mike Pellagatti, a great, great cameraman to whom I can never apologize enough and it still grates on me so I take things like that very seriously. We have a very aggressive schedule and if it weren't for people like Paolo who's still our house guest after a week getting the start-up stuff ironed out, I don't know what we'd do. We'll get the kinks worked out, especially streaming and editing for the Internet which are worlds apart from television and then it'll become a relative routine but THANKS for your understanding. We've been working on recutting George Dibie's Part 2 all day today taking away alot of the talking head stuff and adding example footage insererts from a show we're shooting right now. And the support we've gotten from people like Ron Ayers over at LA's Abel Cine and Russ Abelein at Tiffin and Jaime Emmanuelli at LitePanels and the others, well, if you ever have a chance to support them, I wish you would. Their prices are in line with everyone else's s because the margins are so thin but the service you get before, during and after the sale are, in a word, Exemplary. And to Tom Simmons who's single-handedly running post on one of our network shows and handling everythig else at the studio on our other three, well, he's another big reason we can get 2nd Unit up and running for this and other boards and the 150k independent filmmakers out there. So again, thanks for the understanding and support and we'll keep at it.
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
your word is all you have.
As long as you're beating yourself up, my question would be why set such an aggressive schedule and publicly promote that before finishing even one show? It's tough to make a firm commitment on the unkown.

Having a public date that's not as aggressive as an internal goal date makes sense. Then you've created an overdeliver possibility.

Jim Jannard has an aggressive schedule for RED, but he's repeatedly said issues could come up and move the timetable back and he can't guaruntee any dates. He just has goals. He's a billionaire and customers are still excited. If he comes in late everyone knows that's a real possibility... but somehow I bet he's actually been conservative in his dates.
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #109
2nd Unit TV

Setting and meeting aggressive schedules has been part of my life since the Corp and I'm only finding out now that there's more latitude in public life. You're exactly right in what you say proving once again that we all have things to learn which goes directly to why I decided to do this. In the end, the man who dies the richest dies the poorest for not giving all he has to those who need it most and I try to do just that through 2nd Unit. And just as I have much to give, I also have much to learn from you and all on this board and I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart. I don't know Jim Jannard but perhaps one day our paths will cross. I know I'm glad ours did and I look forweard to flying your rear end out here to do a show or two with us.
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Joel's right, Jonathan. I've never met as much of a perfectionist as you but you need to slow down. Your site is absolutely fantastic but what gets me the most is that you and Paolo must be averaging 20 hours a day or more. Your gonna burn out and then we'll have none of what you promised us. I NEVER hung out on a board as much as I do here and what you're doing for dvinfo is nothing short of gracious. No that's not the word. I can't think of the word for what you're doing but it's great and I join the others who thank you. I just hope dvino appreciates someone whos giving and giving with nothing in return.. You and Paolo are one in a million.OK 2 ina million but ease up on yourselfs or else the site won't have a chance to get better. I can't wait to see more of thet guy in the video your shooting. What movie is that for?
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #111
Major Player

Quote:
I know I'm glad ours did and I look forweard to flying your rear end out here to do a show or two with us.
I'll make you have an extra beer afterwards.

I'm with you on the idea of giving 110% and really doing something right if you're going to do it. The trick is to keep some of that private so that when the unexpected occurs you've already built that into the schedule. If nothing unexpected occurs then you have extra time to perfect things OR release early if you choose to.

After years of doing consulting work I learned painfully that I estimated many jobs with the mindset of "I can do that in two days". I learned later if I quoted two weeks and turned it in ten days later I was a hero and I could still see movies sometimes. But when I quoted 3 and hit 5 day then things weren't so hot. It's simply managing expectations. Then when people really did call with an emergency I could drop everything, help out, and end up with a client for life.

Similarly, I had a friend who started a monthly magazine and nearly killed himself trying to hit his dates. Ultimately he missed dates after he was taking money and needless to say that was a big problem. He should have done a quarterly thing to start and ramped up from there. Actually, in retrospect he should have written a book because of his particular industry was small and didn't have time sensitive material.

It's great to be the most motivated person around. In the end that really pays off, unless you have a coronary. :-)
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #112
Major Player

Hey Johnathon, I am really impressed with 2nd unit. Sorry haven't kept in touch since NAB but hope you enjoyed the coffee.
I am looking foward to getting the dvd when it comes out.
Keep up the great work you're doing and maybe I can get out to LA for a shoot soon.
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #113
2nd Unit TV

The coffee's a God-send, Joe. With the the last couple of days, it's keeping us goim'. I think I'll write to Starbucks and see if we can get a sponsprship...or you could! All kidding aside, Paolo pulled an all-nighter, literally, and it was all due to the Mighty Bean!
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #114
2nd Unit TV

Well, you guys have gone and done it now. Chris has offered us a 2nd Unit space on DVInfos board. That's the good news. Here's the bad news. I haven't the slightest idea of what I'm doing. Any ides or recommendations?
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #115
Trustee

Quote:
I haven't the slightest idea of what I'm doing. Any ideas or recommendations?
You could hire somebody that does and get a good foundation to begin with and then update as necessary going forward.
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #116
2nd Unit TV

And the new moderator for DVInfo's newest blocbuster site 2nd Unit is................Steven L. Noe from Chicago, IL. Steven L. Noe...Come On Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #117
Major Player

Thats great now we can discuss 2nd unit here. Diffenitely hire someone Johnathon.
We should all introduce ourselves and goals we are trying to achieve. Keep us posted as to what is going on.
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #118
Major Player

Jonathan,

Congrats on the forum here.

As to questions, ask the man (Chris) himself. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you anyway he can or some of the other moderators could help you out with your questions.

Use the forum to brainstorm new ideas for 2nd Unit productions.

I like some of the behind the scenes type shows that you see on MTV. You know those making the music video and how they did it.

P.S. whens the Rodriguez feature going to be up?

Ooh, another idea for your subscription base! Pay for clip downloads. Example on the idea: Korean stations have shows available for viewing, via download, and the cost is like 50 cents per show. Then you got Apple's .99 dls. Like I said, I'm the type that's not really into subscription but if I see something I'm interested in, I'd be willing to pay for it. Something your site is definately worth it's value. Example on the idea. It's something to think on. How about $1.00 downloads for streams. Price structure is up to you off course.

With the amount of shows you'll be producing, I think it'll be a good way for people on the non-subscription list. It'll be cheaper to join the membership. Just make it so that, as Amercian Express says, "Membership has it's privileges."

Maybe like live chat forum with some of the people you interview, free to members, cost to non-members. I know you don't want to go another forum route, but you could use IRC's with invite only to allow for certain people to join up in the chats.

Availablity to view live streams of interviews for members.

Some ideas.

By the way, all these useful suggestions from me, I should get free membership for life. Heh.
Old June 30th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #119
2nd Unit TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Jonathan,

If I can be of any assistance with your streaming issues please don't hesitate to contact me via email for a direct number. Perhaps we can work it out together by phone.

Streaming a variety of video content is what we pride ourselves on.

Peace.
OK, Daniel, you're on. We need help with a pixelization issue. When dissolving between clips, the dissolve pixelizes the underlying material and looks like poop. We're putting together the contest as you know that we'll announce on Monday and did a short commercial as an example. Go to the www.2nd-Unit.tv webside and click on the dot in the "i" of "Unit" in the header to see the commercial and what I mean. There has to be some way, short of hard cutting the transitions, to fix this and not have huge files. Thanks.
Jonathan
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #120
Major Player

Quote:
There has to be some way, short of hard cutting the transitions, to fix this and not have huge files.
There does? :-)

Smooth gradients of any type are probably the toughest to deal with. Perhaps there is a superior codec out there. Or maybe it's possible to vary the level of compression along the timeline so the areas in question have much less compression.

I'm very curious to hear the answer myself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television