Monopod to shoot over crowd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics

Old July 23rd, 2022, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod to shoot over crowd?

I want to shoot some video of a parade. But there would be people everywhere blocking my view.

If I can raise my camcorder to 7 feet high, I would have clear shots everywhere.

Is there a monopod that can be raised to 7 feet high, and has a tilt control below 5 feet?

I can use an external monitor and a LANC remote to complete the setup.

The monopod needs to be collapsible quickly because I need to be chasing down the interesting parts of the parade which are moving targets.
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2022, 06:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Monopod to shoot over crowd?

Peter, it’ll be a trade off, height versus tilt control versus easily collapsibility, but here’s one for height …

https://petapixel.com/2018/07/05/3-l...orlds-tallest/

Another option might be to check out the route of the parade and see if there are any 1st. floor locations you can quickly get to etc.

Cheers.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 08:05 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Just go out on the street and walk with the parade. Nobody cares.

Old July 23rd, 2022, 10:01 PM   #4
Trustee

Not a monopod, but a light stand with an arm. I would use something like this since I already have it.https://www.adorama.com/ltbak.html?kbid=68009
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 09:19 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Shooting from a monopod or a lightstand will be a complete waste of time and effort unless you enjoy the look of surveillance videos. Why bother?

Does anyone have a link they can share to a video that shows this technique actually being used to produce an interesting and creative video?
Old July 24th, 2022, 12:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Back in 2008 I was hired to film a dance studio perform in a West Indies parade. It was filmed on a Sony FX1 camcorder all hand held. The quality is pretty bad compared to today's cameras, but it should give you an idea of how to film such an event. Like others are saying you wouldn't use a monopod to get up high. Of course I had permission to be in the parade so I wasn't trying to shoot over spectators on the side.

Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 02:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Small camera, mount on audio Boom pole. Tilt the viewfinder down and you can tilt a bit with fore and aft movement, from that height, tilt isn't that critical
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 06:46 PM   #8
Vortex Media

But what's the point? It's a complete waste of time to shoot a parade with a camera 5' over your head on a stick. If you think I'm wrong, show me an example.
Old July 24th, 2022, 06:55 PM   #9
Trustee

Sometimes one has to improvise. Thinking creatively:

At the 7-ft height a monopod with short feet would not be very steady, and it would be difficult to manually control the cam orientation. A smartphone controlled electronic gimbal would be a great addition to provide horizontal and vertical control for the cam.

For what it’s worth, a search for “light stands” on Seattle craigslist came up with two ad possibilities right now: one in Redmond, for $50 the pair - don’t look like they have T-handles though, and a second one for two light stands in South Seattle for $50 the pair (may also not have T-handles). There is also an Avenger Roller Stand 42 for $145 but that may be overkill. If anyone has accessories, like clamps and adapters, they can be helpful.

A shoulder strap might be handy for transporting the assembled rig.

The Avenger in the picture has a T-handle for the tripod base but not visible. I don’t have a C-stand so can’t comment how it compares, but obviously the legs fold up differently.

Still thinking creatively. Plan B:
Uh, (speaking of legs), a tall girlfriend with stilettos?
Attached Thumbnails
Monopod to shoot over crowd?-img_1804-light-stands.jpg  
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 07:35 PM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

My only suggestion is to get there early and be at the front of the crowd. Technology solutions aren't everything.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 08:08 PM   #11
Trustee

Andrew ...
One of the requirements is that the rig be reasonably portable:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wu View Post
The monopod needs to be collapsible quickly because I need to be chasing down the interesting parts of the parade which are moving targets.
However ... as you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Technology solutions aren't everything.
Andrew
Possible solution is to fake it:
Wear a black cap with a large badge on the side that says "PRESS", and,
Get a black T-shirt (hey, it's summer here) made up with the words "PRESS" on the front and back.

If it is a crowded parade there often police who keep the viewing pedestrians at bay, and back on the sidewalk.

This may, or may not work. If it doesn't then I'll come back and delete this post.
(If I still can)
Not sure I'd want to chance it.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 08:35 PM   #12
Inner Circle

When filming a parade you'll be doing a lot of walking in hot weather. A monopod could be useful but it also can hinder you from quickly changing angles and moving. You'll want as little equipment as possible to stay mobile. If you want a high shot lift the camera above your head. Do the extra work of getting permission to be in the street or to at least look the part so no one will question you. You'll need to be constantly back peddling and watching your surrounding so you're not getting in the way. Most of your focus should observing to find the most exciting parts to film and getting into position before they're gone.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; July 24th, 2022 at 09:20 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2022, 08:55 PM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Possible solution is to fake it:
Wear a black cap with a large badge on the side that says "PRESS", and,
Get a black T-shirt (hey, it's summer here) made up with the words "PRESS" on the front and back.
Surely you must be making a joke. He'd look absolutely ridiculous. A parade is not war zone.
He'd be better off dressing as a clown and joining the parade.

Yeah, I'm joking.

Just go out in the street and shoot. If you look professional and conduct yourself professionally nobody will care.
Old July 24th, 2022, 09:24 PM   #14
Equal Opportunity Offender

And my cynical side says that getting advance permissions will make no difference to some random security type who never even knows about it. In fact, the more effort you put into the permissions process ...

(well, you get the idea)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2022, 07:33 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wu View Post

Is there a monopod that can be raised to 7 feet high, and has a tilt control below 5 feet?
I have been shooting over the heads of people (not a parade but at weddings) with a very light gimbal and a sony a7III but that can get tiring for longer periods, you could add a monopod to the handle of the gimbal so you won't have to raise your hands up high al the time and you could even attach a monitor to it. If you tilt the gimbal forward a bit even with the monopod in your hand the camera also will tilt down. I would not be doing this however with a heavy setup, my a7III with a 18mm f2.8 and gimbal is less then 1.4kg.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics