AE and Premiere Issues... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AE and Premiere Issues...

Hi there guys,

Just got done shooting some 24p stuff on an HV30. Imported using Aspect HD, and got some terrific raw capture footage.

I've edited some clips in AE for SFX (lots and lots of masking!) and have exported it out to no-compression .avi.

Go back into Premiere to load up allll the clips I have for final editing and proofing when I realize that all my AE edited clips do not show up in my preview window!! Instead, it shows up as a black box with a red 'x' in the corner!! All raw capture footage that didn't go through AE, show up fine in the preview window. The final render comes out fine as well with the AE edited clips shown, but I can't edit them if I can't see them in premiere!

Anyone got any ideas? Never experienced this before...
Jack Derman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Trustee

If you are using Aspect HD clips in Premiere Pro, you might be happier exporting to that same Cineform HD AVI to use in Premiere Pro. No rendering in Premiere Pro will save time.

There is no need for "no-compression .avi".
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for helping out Steven.

I should probably clarify, by no-compression, I mean that the .avi output from AE has no codec applied to it. I'm not entirely sure that AE can output into Cineform Aspect HD? I'm not at my lab right now, so I'll def. check it when I get back.

But either way, there shouldn't be a reason why Premiere wouldn't show at least a preview of the footage. I mean, when I stop on a frame, it will show up in the preview box. But once I play an entire length, the box becomes black with a red x.

So frustrated, especially after having to go through hoops to get the pull down and everything sorted out correctly.

I miss my old 60i footage rendered out in Magic Bullet to simulated 24p :(

Jk, HDV is quality shooting for sure.
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Trustee

It is probably just that your PC is not up to playing uncompressed footage. And, when you installed Aspect HD, it should have made the Cineform HD AVI codec available to After Effects.

Render/export in After Effects, and you won't have to in Premiere Pro.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Jack, there is rarely need for uncompressed for tasks like this. Try to export your footage from AE as Quicktime with png or animation compressor. This will give you indistinguishable quality with much lower bitrate, suitable even for multi-generation renders.

Or, why don`t you render it back to Cineform? That`s exactly what it`s made for.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input Jiri and Steven! I really appreciate it!

For some odd reason, Cineform HDV is not an export option in AE for me. I even tried using Dynamic Link in Premiere to open up an .aep, but even that does not show up in my preivew window!!

I'm going to try my hand at the Quicktime suggestion Jiri and hopefully all will be well.

Again, thank you guys for helping out!!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Some kind of Cineform codec definitely SHOULD be accessible in AE, at least as a Quicktime codec. You should contact Cineform support, they are usually very quick and helpful.

I mean, multi-generation rendering is the main purpose of intermediate codecs, so you should harness it to its full potential.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok, so I went back and found out that I am infact exporting movies from AE as Cineform .avi files.

So still, what gives with the black box and red x in the preview window in PP2? What sort of problem is that indicative of so I can go back and fix it!

Thanks a bunch guys, really helpful!!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Major Player

That is definitely a Cineform problem. Try exporting as QT Animation.

I don`t mean to be rude by any means, but is your Cineform legal? If it is, contact Cineform support.

Last edited by Jiri Fiala; July 3rd, 2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Ok, so I figured out a solution to all my woes!

I just stopped using Cineform.

Simply did some converting to Photo - JPEG Quicktime files, and with 75% quality, image is almost the same as original...and AE and PP2 play real nice with it.

Thansk for all the help again guys!
Jack Derman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite