HD to SD workflow in CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
New Boot

HD to SD workflow in CS4

I'm running into a very simple problem that I cannot seem to solve in CS4--I'm working with HD video (filmed on XH-A1 in 60i) and did all my editing in HD. We've exported to vimeo, great quality there. When we downconvert to SD and put it on a DVD, we're running into interlacing problems (i.e jaggedy edges on objects). Here's our workflow--please let me know where the kink is!

Import from camera using Cineform
Edit cineform avi in PP4 project set at 1440x1080, 60i
Do effects in AE using nested sequences
Via dynamic link send to Encore. We've tried to send it as a HD project and then build/burn to DVD. We've tried to send it as a DVD project. We've tried to use Adobe Media Encoder and create mpeg2-DVD.

I've read that you need to send it into AE for best downconverting, but we cannot open our sequence in AE. If I need to export a file in Media Encoder and then open it in AE, what should I export it as/import as/re-render as?

I know that there are a ton of people out there doing this, can anyone tell me the proper workflow?!

Thank you!!!
Jennifer Eidum Zinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Render the MPG directly from AE:
High Definition for PC Downconverting High Definition to DVD
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the link. I'm trying to do what it advises, but I want to make sure I do it correctly:
1) export project from PP4 in HD: h.264, NTSC 1440x1080 with upper frames first
2) Put new file into AE and export it as mpeg-2 DVD with lower frames first (as described in the article)
3) Create DVD in Encore

Edited to add:

I checked my footage from step 1--slight jaggedy edges, from step 2--Scary! We tried to export our PPro project directly into AE, but we're getting an unknown error--is that for everyone or unique to us? Can anyone give us clarification for which render settings to use as we export out of PPro?

Thank you! Happy Easter

Last edited by Jennifer Eidum Zinchuk; April 12th, 2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Updated to add information
Jennifer Eidum Zinchuk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite