Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old August 11th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #481
Wrangler

I used to edit with Premiere w/ hardware support and have sinced switched to Vegas 4. Vegas is faster- even though I don't have hardware support for real-time transitions. The workflow is so much smoother and more logical. There's no rendering when you simply drop a clip in a timeline that doesn't conform to the NTSC DV AVI standard- Vegas views all files as just data. Plus the realtime previews work great- so long as you have a pretty fast processor.

Premiere Pro is supposed to be completly re-written and from what I've heard is very stable. A much needed attribute after the highly unstable Premiere offerings in the past. Then again stability isn't the question- it's speed. Premiere Pro is supposed to have real-time previews as well- time will tell how well they work. Adobe really has to pull all the stops with this one- the Premiere NLE has been dragging behind recently.
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #482
High School Student

Try Vegas 4.0, it's awesome, I wouldn't trade it for anything. You can do previews without any rendering, but of course the framerate depends on your computer, and how many "effects" you have on the video and all that...
Old August 11th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #483
Major Player

AE6 was, indeed, released this month. Looks great and FEELS great.

Premiere Pro should be available later this month, but I can't even purchase one because it's already out of stock!

Also heard that PPro is supporting 24p/a internally without the need for plugins. Great!

http://www.adobevideo.com/forum
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #484
Regular Crew

My AE6 just arrived this morning. Standard, not pro however. First thing I did was flick to the back of the manual where it shows loads of cool effects labelled 'pro only'. Not to worry. I'm really looking forward to playing with this. AE is one of my favourite programs. I'm an awful George Lucas in that respect (get the shooting overwith and only then does the real fun begin).

Jay.
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #485
Trustee

do you folks see premiere+ae as one product in the future?
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:26 AM   #486
Trustee

rob+ed

-Tyan Tiger MPX w/dual AMD MP1800+
-1GB RAM
-40gb 10krpm WD raptor SATA HD
-21" monitor
-aiw 8500DV
-sony hi8 =)
-wxp sp1 (fresh install)
-prem 6.5
-ae 5.5pro

by slow i mean when i capture it is totally unusable. gotta use ati multimedia center 8.5 to capture mpg2 or avi. then when i import into prem it slows to a crawl. i just can't see how people work like that with so many clips each taking up quite a long time. it just feels so hanidcapped. i mean it's not even usable that type a thing. i can't see how you folx deal w/it.

like i said when playing with final cut it's just nearly silky smooth. *sigh*
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #487
Regular Crew

After Effects

I don't know anything about this product, but am curious as to what it brings to the table for an editor.

Say for wedding videos, what would be some of the specific features that AE provides that can boost the quality of my product?

Thanks,

Clarence
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #488
High School Student

Huh dude? Something is seriously screwed up somewhere then. You system should have no problem doing anything in premiere, thats for sure.

My computer is only:

AMD Athlon 1GHZ
Some crappy no brand name motherboard
512MB PC133 SDRAM
40GB ATA100 5400rpm HDD
13.6GB ATA66 5400rpm HDD
ATI AIW 128 PRO 32MB
...etc etc, the usual

...and it has no trouble with working in premiere, atleast when I used premiere. It surely wasn't like your describing.

Either way something is screwed up. Do you have DMA mode enabled on your hard drive? If it's not enabled and is in PIO mode, or whatever, that can easally cause your computer to be extra super slow.

Look under control panel > system > hardware > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > Primary IDE Channel, and right click that and hit Properties > Advanced settings, and make sure they are set to "DMA if avalible".
Old August 12th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #489
Wrangler

The only thing I could see is some kind of problem with your disk drive, TSR programs (like anti-virus or viruses), or drivers (like firewire).

Even though you have a 40 gb drive, if it has not been defragged or is running loaded you might still have problems. Defragging in the middle of production is generally not recommended.

Drivers can cause other problems. You should check and make sure you have the latest ones.

TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) programs can do all sorts of weird things. With Worm.Blaster out there is really good at hosing a system. If you do not have a anti-viral program it is probably worth while to scan your system.

Just an FYI when MS introduced W2K, the s/w normally starts the disk drive up in DMA mode.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:12 AM   #490
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Smith : And,

www.matrox.com/video

Go for the RTX 100 or above.

I've had no problems with my XL1 under Premiere 6 and 6.5

cheers,

Ed -->>>

Dear Ed,
What video card are you suing with your system? Are you satisfied with it?
I recently purchased an XL1, and am using Premiere 6.5 and Matrox RTX. I'm getting weird picture artifact on capture and playback, and think it may be a video card
problem. The card I'm presently using is actually unsupported by Matrox.

I welcome any input you may have.

Barb
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #491
Wrangler

Barb,

I currently use a Pinnacle DV500 capture card, although I will be soon buying the RTX 100, and Premiere Pro. The funny thing is that for my job I support editors who use Matrox hardware, but have not come across your problem.

Does the artifacts appear in the premiere preview window and/ or on a TV?

What happens if you create an AVI file and play though windows media player?

You should really have at least a G550 Matrox Graphics card, I believe that it uses a chip from it to run the hardware effectively.

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:36 AM   #492
Wrangler

What happens if you capture via the premiere capture window? Is still really slow.

I do not have this problem with mine.

Ed

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:37 AM   #493
Regular Crew

exporting to tape in premiere

Hi people, ive put this on the mac side too as thats what im using but there dont seem to b many mac/premiere users.

Ive managed to export to tape when using imovie.
i now have a completed timeline on Premiere. ive hooked up the dv canon camera and chosen 'export to tape'. i used to have a problem selecting this as it wasnt highlighted but sorted that out via 'device control'. but now, when i export, i get the audio but no visual. just black. can anyone help or hazard a guess why?
Old August 13th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #494
New Boot

Dear ED,
The artifact occurs in the capture window
and in any premiere playback window, but not on a tv monitor.

I'm currently using an older vid card, a matrox millennium 3d flex I believe.

Haven't tried to export an avi ( or encode to a wmv) and play it through wmp yet. I'll try that now.

Thanks!
Barb
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #495
Wrangler

Do you get a picture in your camera when previewing from the timeline?

Is everything rendered?

Have you chosen the correct device control?

Answer these first then we can carry on.

All the best,

Ed

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite