Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #121
Major Player

Bad port? Video card doesnt have the most updated drivers. Screensaver running?
I haven't had any problems with Premiere and my xl1s. Works all the time. I only have to make sure I have enough pretape to start capture.

Rob:D
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:22 PM   #122
Regular Crew

The problem is not a bad port or any other issue other than software. Perhaps it is only a problem for Win2k which is what I am using. Somewhere, I had run across a fix, which as I wrote earlier requires one to edit a system fiule of some kind. The reason I am seeking this out now is that I have had to re-laod Premiere for other reasons and the fix I had applied was reversed.

Sincerely,

Ron J.

P.S. The simplest work-around I found was to simply unplug the firewire connector and re-connect.
Old March 29th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #123
Regular Crew

Try this setting

Ron and Keith,
You can try this setting. I had to go searching again for this after rebuilding my system. It did solve the issue with Premier loosing DV Control with my GL2

[DXMedia]
NonCompliant1394Capture=1

Hope this helps fix your capture issues. G'Luck
Cheers
Rob
Old March 29th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #124
Major Player

Its funny. So many people have so many problems with programs.
On my computer I am using now I have never had any problems.
Running solid for 3 yrs and left on.
What about just upgrading to XP.
It is by far the best OS that windows has come out with.
Oh you can also emulate an older OS in XP for your older programs.

Old March 29th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #125
Major Player

I've got a Canon ZR20 with Premiere 6.5 and WinXP with a Pyro BasicDV firewire card, no problems.
Old March 29th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #126
Regular Crew

Rob -

Thanks for your input - this is exactly what I was looking for.

I see this as more of an issue with how Premiere installs under Win2k. I am trying to limit my Micro$oft purchases and will likely switch to Apple/FCP in future.

Ron J.
Old March 29th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #127
Capt. Quirk

I never really had any problems with Premiere capturing from the XL1s or the GL1. I just prefer to use DV Storm. I also have Win2K. Many other problems... just not THAT one :)
Old March 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Another option is using "Scenalyzer" to capture instead.

It will cut the individual scenes into separate .avi files based on timecode, optical recognition or whatever you want.

Registration fee is 20USD, and the best 20 bucks I ever spent.

www.scenalyzer.com

Hans Henrik
Old March 29th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #129
Major Player

My dad had a faster computer than mine and it had win2k on it.
It sucked crap until he upgraded it. I mean the computer was just not usable.
Well if you dont want to spend money then you might not want to change to mac. Talk about expensive.
Its like you pay for a good machine just 3x what it is worth.
To bad I think they have done a great job with macs and I would love to own one, but crap I rather have more tools and fun with PC than 1 tool and some fun with a mac.
Steve Jobs, Please just drop the price, I still want one.

My computer is dual 650Mhz, 512 RAM, ATI Radeon 8500 128mb, 2x20G and 2x120G HDs. One of the 120G HD is external Firewire from Lacie.
I have always had my computers made from this one guy for years. Nothing like a lifetime warrantee on the computer.
Im just lucky I guess.

Old March 29th, 2003, 03:59 PM   #130
Regular Crew

I love Mac computers. I own two Mac computers (G4 and iBook). And I always hatetd those PCs. But with tears in my eyes I have to say: a Mac is definetely not worth the extra money. Modern PCs are twice as fast, run very stable (I do a lot of heavy compositing with After Effects and Combustion in Win XP) and are easy to handle. Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro are wonderful programs, but there's no good mpeg encoder for the Mac so you simply cannot produce higher quality DVDs on the Mac without using a PC for encoding. Less problems with hardware, more problems with non-available software. A Mac is not the definite solution anymore.

Chris
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #131
Regular Crew

Ron,
Hope that it does the trick for you.
Premier can be challenging. Sometimes you need the settings,
obviously sometimes you don't.

My W2KP required the PreferDSCodecs=1 setting too to get the MainConcept MPEG encoder to work without crashing Premier.
Some folks never needed it under W2KP. Go figure.

Another useful one was the:
[DXMedia]
FastPreviewWhileTransmitting=1

On my particular hardware, Premier would prefer the Firewire output when the cam was plugged in. Great output via firewire but the Monitor window was blocky, like it was placed at low priority for updating. Put this little gem in and get great Monitor behaviour and FW output to boot. Kinda makes ya wonder what other magical incantations and spells can be cast within the Prem60.ini file :-)

I'll definately second Hans' tip on Scenalyzer. Been using it for sometime and for the price, it's worth adding it to your toolbox.
It also has a cool feature that I've been playing with lately where you can have SCLive put your AVI files onto your DV Tape including the scene info and filename/path data. It's not supported on all DV cams/decks but it works on the GL2 at least. You want the stuff back, just drop it in and it all gets put back where it was, filenames, timestamps, etc. Cool little tool. There's an update due out next week that addresses an annoying issue with some systems and at least the GL2. Look for the March build to show up soon on thier website. Not associated, just a happy customer.

Cheers,
Rob
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:35 AM   #132
Major Player

Premiere 6.5 comes out of sync

I'm editing a wedding right now, and plus a few other smaller files I have two 8 gig captures from the two cameras I had set up in the cathedral. When I'm editing, everything will be fine for a few minutes, but after a while the video will come out of sync with the audio. This is only in Premiere, however; I tried playing the 8gig file in WiMP and it's fine. I exported a small section of the timeline where I thought it was out of sync, but it's not the case.

Since it's obviously not really out of sync, it's not that big a deal, but it's very annoying sometimes. What could cause this? Since the minister did more talking than he deserved do I've been doing a lot of shuttling fast-forwards to find my next edit point, could that be it? I'm running:

WinXP
Premiere 6.5
500MHz P3 (yeah, it sucks!)
384MB RAM
Video: 40gig 7200rpm
Program: 13gig 5400
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:31 PM   #133
Regular Crew

I had the same problem BUT DONT WORRY! when you render your timeline to avi or whatever your rendering to the audio will come back into sync. Its just on the timeline that it does that for some reason sometimes.
-Robert
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:08 PM   #134
Major Player

That's what I assumed.. it's just another annoyance!

It's especially annoying sometimes because I'm editing a part right now where they're singing a hymn. I'm using the audio from one camera and the video from another so I have to sync up the shots where you can see mouths moving. Syncing something that's already out of sync with an out of sync timeline is very confusing :P

Anyways, thanks for reassuring me! I guess I'll just put up with it.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:46 AM   #135
Major Player

accelerate / deaccelerate video in Premiere 6.5 is it possible?

Hi,

I'd like to slow down and then speed up a clip that I have. I want the speed change to come gradually over an amount of time, is this possible? Preferably controlled by rubberbands.

I don't have After Effects ( and I doubt my budget ever will let me have it ;-)

If it can't be done in Premiere, are there any other tools that I can use? ( that are within my thin wallet budget ;-)

Brgds,

Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite