CS5 x64 and Mercury Playback Engine - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #76
Trustee

I find it hard to beleive that now that all the work is done of creating the technology that only a few cards work. Are'nt most of these cards the same at their core? Something tells me Nvidia is just trying to get us to buy crazy expensive video cards. Personally I dont need all that crazy speed, I just need to edit 2 layers of AVCHD SMOOTHLY which I cant see needing at $400 video card to do. I saw a video demonstration earlier on with the MPE and it seemed to be a bit different, it showed the CPUs only job was playing back the video and all the effects were done by the card. Now it seems like everything is done with the card. oh well I guess we'll all know in about 18 hours.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #77
Major Player

mmmm, playing AVCHD smoothly = Edius 5.5, its as simple as that. Edius is so smooth, its an agony to use Premiere Pro. At the best of times, the Adobe Media Encoder is so slow and moody, there's no render to timeline and playback stops everytime you touch the keyboard, also after coming to look at PP in its CS4 guise after using Prem 6.5 years ago, I'm amazed at the tool set having remained set in stone, hardly any changes at all.

Oh dear, its sounds like a bit of a moan!

The upside of Premiere is that it edits RED.

I hope the CS5 release packs a few surprises.

Paul
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #78
Major Player

Tomorrow we should find out Paul.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #79
Trustee

I have Edius 5.5 and I have been using Edius since v.1 before that Premiere 6.5 the problem I have is GVG is a broadcast company who has no interest in exporting to DVD or BR for that matter. They care about interfacing with their servers me I do weddings and need a full work flow. Edius's DVD export tool looks like it was written by a college student and the exporter does export a Encore compatible file (h.264). Edius is fast because its so stream lined I feel like I can grow more as a editor with CS because of the whole package. Believe me im staying with Edius if it still takes an hour to conform my footage or if its clunky but maybe with the horsepower of the video card it just may be the fast & functional solution we have been waiting for.
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #80
Major Player

Check out this link for all the details on What's New in Premiere Pro CS5:
digital video editing software | Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 - new features

Encore:
DVD authoring | Adobe Encore CS5

After Effects:
deliver more creative control | Adobe After Effects CS5

Many small enhancements... Mercury Playback Engine is the big new thing.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #81
Major Player

CS5 is really going to surprise a lot of people.
Adobe have worked really hard on stability and speed... and have pulled it off.
I have been using Premiere since 1.5 and CS5 is the best version ever.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #82
Trustee

David,

Can you please post a link to this info you quoted?

Adobe Premiere Pro Mercury Playback Engine is faster than CS4 across the board --- works great on your existing system. If you want even more speed, then you need to grab one of the NVIDIA CUDA cards that we've tuned for (GTX 285, Quadro 3800, 4800, 5800, CX .... optimized support for GTX 480 coming in Q3).
4 hours ago · Report

From their Facebook Page - No 3700 or GTX295?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #83
Major Player

Yep,

Welcome to Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
CS5 x64 and Mercury Playback Engine-capture.jpg   CS5 x64 and Mercury Playback Engine-capture01.jpg  

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Harm,

Just to add that the poster from Adobe on that Premiere Facebook group is, I believe, Dave Helmly, so the Adobe info is coming straight from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #85
Trustee

David & Mark,

Thanks for the info and the screenshot.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #86
Major Player

Adobe CS5 Launch

Almost there!
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #87
Major Player

Does anyone know that if upgrading my GForce 9500 to a GTX 285 will give me faster Media Encoder renders (from a HMC150 AVCHD native footage on the CS5 Premiere timeline) or just faster timeline performance while editing?

Also, there was talk of a 12gb RAM minimum for PPro? this is now 4GB??
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #88
Trustee

I think I saw a demo on Nvidias site that said it would greatly speed up encoding too.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #89
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
Does anyone know that if upgrading my GForce 9500 to a GTX 285 will give me faster Media Encoder renders (from a HMC150 AVCHD native footage on the CS5 Premiere timeline) or just faster timeline performance while editing?
Both, although you'll notice more of a difference in the timeline performance while editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
Also, there was talk of a 12gb RAM minimum for PPro? this is now 4GB??
4GB is the minimum recommended amount of RAM for Premiere CS5. 2GB is the absolute minimum requirement in order to even run CS5 at all. And, the Windows version of Premiere CS5 requires at a minimum an Intel Core 2 Duo or an AMD Phenom II processor to run. In both processor and memory, higher is better.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #90
Major Player

I am hugely sceptical - I just don't see what is so newsworthy about being fast on OMG-level-highend hardware? Hell I can be smooth on Quadcore-CUDA-12GB-64bit computer.

I appreciate the forced move to 64bit ('twas about time), but if even CS5 doesn't fix typical Premiere hurdles (impotent reconnecting, instability ("can't activate camcorder"), unusable trimming, lack of sane keyboard editing options, bad interoperability and unreliable export with multiple points of failure (Premiere, varioous servers running in the background and AME), Premiere is NEVER going beyond wedding videography level market.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite