Premiere 5.0.3 crashing with ntdll.dll module error - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #16
New Boot

Great - thanks.
Shmuley Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #17
New Boot

Still not working.

Just tried out cs5 v.5.0.0. Still crashing, error is still msvcr90.dll.

Hope we can solve this!
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #18
Adobe Systems

Here's the answer I got from the team:

"The crash regarding msvcr90.dll last week, and this crash in ntdll.dll are most likely two separate issues.

A crash in ntdll.dll doesn’t point to a bad DLL or a corrupt registry necessarily. Especially since more than one person is hitting the same problem. In general, for those with Cineform installed, it would be good for them to request help in the Cineform forum.

It’s also important for them to provide the specific Cineform product and version they’re using, their project preset, and what they’re doing that leads up to the crash."
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Major Player

I've filed a bug report on this with Adobe but I'm running into the "ntdll" problem regardless of whether or not I'm using Cineform files. Curiously, I'm only running into it when switching into and out of another application when I have a titler window open in CS5.03.

I'm running PPro under Win 7 on an I7/920 with 12 gb RAM and a GTX260 (MPE enabled) with a Matrox MXO2 mini. (I'm still using Matrox Utilities ver. 3.1 and have not updated to the recently released version 5, yet.) I'm using Cineform NeoHD v. 5.25b288, but I do not believe that either Cineform or Matrox are causing or contributing to the issue.

Here's the workflow. I scan text from a concert's printed program (cast names, composers, etc.) and run it through OCR. I call up the OCR text file in a wordprocessor (say, WorPerfect X4 or WordPad), open CS5, create a title, and cut-and-paste some text from the wordprocessor into the titles/credit. I've been doing this for years without significant issues. Prior to allowing the CS5.03 update a few days ago, I rarely got a Pro crashes when doing this. (Like, maybe, one every couple of months.)

A few days ago, PPro installed the CS5.03 update. I then started a new multi-cam concert project with 3 AVCHD tracks and 2 HDV tracks. No problems with the editing. No problems with scrubbing the timeline. All but one of the video tracks used Cineform NeoHD files. I was running under a Matrox 1920x1080i/29/97 project (that's 60i for those who insist on using the older terminology). Now, at the end of the project, I'm working on titles/credits, and I get frequent crashes in PPro when I alt-tab back to CS5.03 from WordPad. The Win 7 event viewer log has the error message listed at the outset of this thread.

Sometimes, I can go out and back 6 or 7 times before PPro crashes. Sometimes it crashes on the first alt-tab to the other app.

The source program does not seem to make any difference to this. I tried this with WordPerfect as the source and and also tried going directly from the OCR program (OmniPage SE4) and get the same problem.

The reason I think that this is not related to the Matrox presets or the use of Cineform files is that I get the same problems when I tried switching out and back from other apps in new projects without using Matrox presets and without Cineform files. That is, I rebooted the computer, set-up entirely new projects, created sequences using using only Adobe HDV or AVCHD presets, imported the original HDV or AVCHD files, and then tried to create titles by cutting-and-pasting text from WordPad. I also tried uninstalling Cineform NeoHD, rebooting, repeating the cut-and-paste test, and still got the same crashes in PPro.

Today's new development in this is that I also see PPRo crashing when I: (a) dynamic-link a PPro project to Encore; (b) author a DVD in Encore; (c) burn an image; (d) close encore and (e) go back to PPro only to find that it has locked up and eventually gives me the message that PPro has encounterd an error and needs to close.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #20
New Boot

Discouraged

Hi Kevin,

While I appreciate your help on this, I must say that I'm a bit discouraged. Did your team take a look at my .dll issue? All I'm seeing are suggestions for the ntdll.dll issue that Rich and Steve had, which, as you said, is separate. Apologies if the frustration is coming through, it just feels like the buck is getting passed here.

SS
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #21
Adobe Systems

I emailed the team again. While we are awaiting another response, can you please repost your issue in the Cineform forum? We think it is a Cineform issue.

Make sure to post your version of Cineform, your project preset and what you were doing that lead up to the crash with your Cineform post.
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Kevin - I think what you are suggesting is the common link could be we are all using Cineform in some way (we may still have the plug-in installed even if not using Cineform AVIs - Jay's situation?). So I will post a ticket with Cineform support and update you back on this forum on their response.

As mentioned in my posts above, given that the problem only emerged for me when I moved to Premiere 5.0.3 - Cineform / Premiere were working fine before - I'm not sure Cineform is the full story here. But the Cineform team are always helpful so let's see what they come back with. I am keen to resolve this issue for all of us.
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Adobe Systems

Shmuley,
Let's try to resolve your issue back on your original thread. Please see my post over there.

Hi Steve,
Yes, please repost the issue on the Cineform forum. Thanks for reporting back with what Cineform has to say. We are working with some users to see if Adobe Premiere Pro is causing issues with Cineform or vice versa.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hello Kevin - I have just posted a ticket directly with Cineform support (rather than on the DVInfo.net forum). I will update back here on progress.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #25
Major Player

I also have filed a trouble ticket with Cineform. For the reasons stated in my previous post, I remain doubtful that this is a Cineform issue, but we'll have to wait and see what further investigation turns up.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #26
Major Player

Heard back from Cineform on my trouble ticket. This is what they told me.

"I saw the forum post and i've been communicating with steve about this same issue. although i'm not sure why kevin from adobe sent you both here when the faulting module is not ours. that said, we certainly want to figure out what is going wrong. this is happening on my home edit computer as well... and like you, it seems to happen during dynamic link operations."

"I'll share your findings with david newman when i'm in the cineform office tomorrow and hopefully be able to reproduce the issue on a debug system. I'll let you know if we come up with anything."
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #27
Adobe Systems

Hi Guys,
Believe me, we are working hard to get to the bottom of the issue. Will follow up in the morning with you. Thanks for your patience on this. I'm giving it my all.
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks. I appreciate your effort. I, at least, am able to work around this thing for the time being.
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Cineform have just sent and asked me to test a replacement file for one of their components. I will check it out over the weekend.
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #30
Adobe Systems

Cool Steve, let us know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite