Canon HDV and Adobe Premiere - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Now see... that is awesome because I was under the impression you couldn't capture or edit 24F footage from the A1 without the Matrox RT.X2 and CS3 when it is released or another external software package. Boy was I mislead!!

Thanks for the info!
Justin Kifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #47
Regular Crew

The real beauty is that in PPro2 when you capture 24f, you actually get 23.976fps progressive footage, which, if added to 24fps timeline, could be exported to MPEG2-DVD as native 24fps progressive scan video, with all MPEG2 flags correctly set. I know that for a fact, because my Sony DVP-S9000ES has an indicator light on the front pannel, which turns on when a pure progressive footage is detected. In this case it's using "Film" mode, instead of "Video" mode. Makes a BIG difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kifer View Post
Now see... that is awesome because I was under the impression you couldn't capture or edit 24F footage from the A1 without the Matrox RT.X2 and CS3 when it is released or another external software package. Boy was I mislead!!
Thanks for the info!
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Heres a few video tutes, showing how to capture HDV with PP2

http://www.esnips.com/web/Premiere-Pro-2-Video-Tutes
Ivan Barbarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #49
New Boot

canon xha1 & adobe premiere pro 2.0

Thanks again guys,
I have been tearing my hair out all day today, I posted copied the canon files but everytime I tried to use them it just crashed out PP2, I will spend some time dabbling with what Maksim has suggested and I will have a look at the tutes, I have been at this for 7-8 hours today as well as shooting stills in the studio.

Has anyone tried the trial version of pp cs3 yet?

I have also been trying to download that!

Cheers Darren.
Darren Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #50
New Boot

canon xha1 & adobe premiere pro 2.0 Ivans tutes

Ivan the tutes are a great help, i thought that all clips have to be Avi, but you are saying no probs!

This is a long way from tiffs eps jpgs psd etc that I am used to, I feel like I have a mountain to climb, it's comforting to know that I am having some hand holding.

Thanks again, I look forward to watching the rest of the tutes.

Darren
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Shipman View Post
Has anyone tried the trial version of pp cs3 yet?

I have also been trying to download that!

Cheers Darren.
Darren,
I have used PP CS3 at home on a test machine, but I just got my A1 last night, and have not tested HDV footage on it yet. From what I understand in reading other threads, the CS3 Trial does not allow HDV editing/capturing I guess. I am at work, and cannot confirm for sure, but that is what I have heard.

Last edited by Luke Ross; June 27th, 2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: correction.
Luke Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #52
New Boot

canon xha1 & adobe premiere pro 2.0

Thanks Luke!

Darren
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #53
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....34&postcount=5
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #54
Regular Crew

PP CS3 trial has definatly HDV disabled.
Ivan Barbarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #55
New Boot

Well guys,
I have managed to download some HDV footage as per Ivans tutes, but the footage when exported looks like it has been thru a hall of mirrors in terms of wavy at certain points.
it was captured as mpeg and I was trying to export it as a windows media item- or something similar- sorry I am at home now and don't have access to pp2. can anyone give me some pointers on this please?

N.B. the original footage had a bit of "jumpiness" but I think that it is due to it being the begining of a tape that I have been messing about with,trying to get all this lot sorted out!

Darren
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Darren,

Try exporting as MPEG2 (using HDV preset) with a fixed bitrate of 25Mbs. If you are shooting 24f, use MPEG2 and set progressive scan (no fields) in the video encoder parameters.

The jumping in the footage may be from panning if you are shooting in 24f and doing fast pans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Shipman View Post
Well guys,
... the footage when exported looks like it has been thru a hall of mirrors in terms of wavy at certain points.
it was captured as mpeg and I was trying to export it as a windows media item- or something similar- sorry I am at home now and don't have access to pp2. can anyone give me some pointers on this please?
Darren
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #57
New Boot

Thanks Maksim,
I will be on the case again when I get to the studio!

Darren
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #58
Regular Crew

premiere elements 3.0 and 24f

Hi,

I am new to the forum and am just curious about any of those who have used the A1 with PE 3.0. Any issues with 24f/30f/1080i etc...?

I am anticipating upgrading my software in the future, but in the meantime I want to plug away at this entry level editing software.
My camera is on its way and I have to say I will be on this site often to pick up on ideas.

Thanks to those who are able to respond!
Jay Legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Hi Jay

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum.

I use PE 3.0 to edit the video taken with my A1 and I am happy with its performance so far. I've had no problems working with 24f and 30f video. The only thing PE 3.0 doesn't do for me is capturing so I use HDVSplit for that. Of all the video editing software that is available in that price range, I would recomend PE 3.0 for sure.

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #60
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply!

I am glad my software will work with the xh-a1. I guess that means it works with all the frame-rates this camera has to offer?

I don't understand why there are difficulties capturing and I am unfamiliar with HDVSplit. I know there is an HDV captiuring option in the set-up menu when the program opens. What can you tell me about hdvsplit? Are there any links you know of that will educate me?

Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Jay Legere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite