Canon HDV and Adobe Premiere - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #91
Regular Crew

I've had no trouble at all capturing from XH-A1 to Premiere CS3- it worked perfectly the first time and every time since. Knock on wood...
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #92
Regular Crew

i have had the same problem connecting my xha1 tried every way suggested here and later found out that the firewire port on the camera was not working ....good that the camera was only 1 week got it exchanged and now everything works well....
Mickey Mackwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #93
Contributor

Also, the playback in the camera has to be set for HDV. It could be on SD.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Hi Jordan.
I had the same problem and it turn out that is was the camera with the wrong set up. Look carefull at SIGNAL MENU set Signal to HD. Comp out to 1080i. Recording set up to 1980/480 In sinal set up comp out 11080/480
HD down convert off. Good lock.
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #95
Trustee

Not CS3, check you camera settings. Sometimes you may have to play the tape from the camera's transport controls to force the camera to recognize and set itself to SD mode. Get's stuck in HDV mode sometimes.

From your description my money is on the fried firewire port. These small 4 pin ports are joke and don't take well to heavy cables, twisting and torquing on thinly insulated contacts. One wrong pull with a live camera and Zap it's off to the repair shop. I've had a few casulties. (My latest was an HC1, to the tune of $400 in parts and labor).

It would serve you well to get an HV10 as a ingest deck.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #96
Major Player

I love my A1, but....
it has been the most problematic of any cam I have ever owned in terms of capturing to the computer. I run two Sony VAIO's on XP Pro, and a Fujitsu laptop running Vista Home Premium and always had a problem until I installed CS3 Master Collection. Now it works (???) just fine, but will sometimes on occasion not be recognized. My Sony VX2100 and Panny GS400 NEVER have any such issues.
It's the cam. It's much more sensitive than other makes, for some reason. I have not bothered to get a Canon HV10 or HV20 yet, as I am concerned that it too will have the same connectability issues as the A1. Why the Canon A1 seems so finicky and my Sony is such a model of excellence when it comes to being recognized by the computer that I am using, I will never understand. It seems to be an area where Canon needs to do some more homework.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #97
Major Player

In terms of fixing it, mine did start to recognize the A1 after I had a friend help clean out a lot of old files, add Norton Anti-Virus, tack on a couple external drives for backing up to, etc. Somewhere along the way we fixed the problem--cannot say for sure why, but now all works well. The CS3 was done about the same time.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #98
Regular Crew

I have almost never had the problem on PP2, once or twice it took turning the computer off and then on and then the camcorder. However I have done all of my projects in HDV and run well over 60 tapes through without incident.

I should be installing CS3 as soon as I finish the latest project, hopefully next week.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #99
Regular Crew

capture from a1

I also ran into problems. It was the firewire port on the A1. One day it worked and the next day it was dead. Camera has to go back to canon to fix.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:29 AM   #100
Regular Crew

Thanks everybody for their replies -- I guess there is no easy fix for this problem. However, I fiddled around with the camera for a good while, switching it on and off, unplugging and plugging and finally windows picked it up and it asked me if I wanted to capture with Premiere. I said yes, and it took me to the capture screen where i was able to capture some stuff.

However, HDV is still giving me trouble. I got it to capture a little bit, but I'm not sure that I'm using the right settings. I know that they came out with some A1 presets for 2.0, but do they work is CS3 as well? If you don't recommend me using those presets to capture HDV footage, what do you recommend?

Thanks everybody for their help, I really appreciate it!
Jordan Orberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #101
New Boot

Premiere CS3 and Canon XH A1

I have to render in CS3 after importing HDV from the Canon XH A1. Am I doing something wrong?

Don't have this problem with Premiere 2.0 as they have a plugin for Canon 30F codec.
Tom Van Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #102
Major Player

I can't speak much about bad firewire ports (yet!), but did have my A1 "revert" one time (somehow), but I dug out the manual to reset things like Mike Quinones suggested earlier in the thread, and all was groovy again.

BTW, I use the CS3 suite, also. But I never use PPro's capturing, since it doesn't do scene-detection. The wonderful and FREE HDVSplit application splits up all my shots into m2t files that I can review, rename, delete the bad ones, etc. then drop them in my projects. It probably saves a bunch of time on the heads than my old "log and batch" method. Just an FYI...

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
www.browncowvideo.com
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Capture.

Brian;
Just out of curiosity, do you use On Location to capture HD or do you use another program for this?
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #104
Major Player

Mike, I just purchased the CS3 upgrade last week and loaded it on a new quad-core 64-bit Vista system I built... so, I've yet to try OnLocation. But, I will definitely use that app with my laptop for my studio-type shoots.

I'll keep you posted on how it works,
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #105
New Boot

Premiere Pro CS3 HD to SD turns out crap?

Hey everybody,

I've been watching these forums for a while, and I finally bought my A1. I love it! I recently shot some footage, captured into Premiere Pro CS3, edited everything, and it looked beautiful on the screen. HD is awesome!

Then when I exported it to SD, trying various methods within CS3 (Adobe Media Encoder or Encore, etc.) my footage looked like garbage. I was pissed, 'cause it ended up looking like some amateur's footage. Detail was lost, even when using high bitrates. I know the down-convert won't be as sharp as HD, but I thought it was supposed to be noticeably sharper than shooting is SD.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice on getting the sharpest image possible for SD would be fantastic!

Thanks!
Benjamin Boyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite