The new H4n recorder - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #121
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Yes, I've tested this with voice.

Due to the physical arrangments, the right-angle 3.5mm option from GS is more convenient than the standard 3.5mm plug, but, the standard works fine - just a little awkward.

There is a menu setting to turn on micpower / plugin power to the 3.5mm input.
Awesome.

Now just wondering about the audio wandering.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #122
Regular Crew

H4n sensitivity

Hi,

I am a new H4n user. I tried it with built-in mics in manual and auto level modes, I am very pleased... I also connected it to the line-out (tape-out) of the DJ board to Inputs 1 & 2 in auto level mode. When DJs play very loud (they almost always play very loud...) I got distortions: there was the min level 1 out of max 100 - can't go lower... Is there a way to switch sensitivity from mic to line level? Somehow, I did not find it... Or I just have to use pads or limiters/compression?..
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #123
Regular Crew

You can set the record level to less than 1 when you upgrade to the new 1.40 firmware. Refer the the instruction manual for installation details.

Link to Latest Firmware

Last edited by Nate Morse; June 16th, 2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Firmware was newer than I was expecting.
Nate Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #124
Inner Circle

H4n BWF timestamp fixed in sys1.4

Got an email from Zoom - they wrote to say that the timestamp issue I reported has been fixed in the system 1.4 they released today. Yay!

Download Software

Downloaded, installed, tested, and it basically works close enough for rough Time-of-day timecode sync. Vegas now is able to interpret the timestamp info and drop the file in the correct location on the timeline - see the attached screencap.

This is no Sound Devices 702T or even Tascam HD-P2... but for $350 this is one handy little recorder. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine, and now, glad to get usable rough TOD timecode.

BTW, if you were waiting for the wired remote, it is now in stock at the usual retailers.
Attached Thumbnails
The new H4n recorder-h4n_correct_bwf.jpg  
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #125
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Spektor View Post
Is there a way to switch sensitivity from mic to line level? Somehow, I did not find it... Or I just have to use pads or limiters/compression?..
If you came in via XLR, the original H4 had an undocumented feature: The combo 1/4"/XLR jack was mic level at the XLR, and line level at the 1/4".

I've not had a chance to test this with the H4n.

If this doesn't work out, the next step would be 30db pads, I suppose.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #126
Regular Crew

Quote:
If you came in via XLR, the original H4 had an undocumented feature: The combo 1/4"/XLR jack was mic level at the XLR, and line level at the 1/4".

I've heard it's the same with the H4n. This according to Neal Ewer's podcast.
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #127
Regular Crew

Quote:

Thank you, all!

I'll try 1/4", and since I used XLR - it was mic level... I also will upgrade to 1.40 version!
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Audio Wandering

Randy: If by wandering do you mean "does it stay in sync with your video" then yes it does a very good job at that. I had a 1 hour clip in a musical I recorded and when I brought the H4N audio into the time line I was only a few frames off with the corresponding video from the carmera at the end of the hour.
Peter Greis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #129
Major Player

mAmps of phantom power

A Zoom tech answered my question about how many mAmps of current is supplied for phantom power. At 48V, you get a total of 10 mAmps, 5 per channel, or any sum of 10, say a combination of 8 and 2 mA or 6 and 4 mA is also okay. I was concerned about some mics requiring more power to operate at peak performance, e.g., the NTG-3 requires a minimum of 5 mAmps per the Rode data sheet. So this is good news for the H4n!
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #130
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Greis View Post
Randy: If by wandering do you mean "does it stay in sync with your video" then yes it does a very good job at that. I had a 1 hour clip in a musical I recorded and when I brought the H4N audio into the time line I was only a few frames off with the corresponding video from the carmera at the end of the hour.
Thanks Peter. What camera did you use and at what frame rate did you shoot at?
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #131
Regular Crew

Can't speak for Peter, but I've recorded 40 minute takes with no loss of sync using my HF100 at 30p. H4n was set to stereo mode 96kHz/24bit.
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #132
Regular Crew

Randy: The video was shot with a Sony VX2000 (SD NTSC). Peter
Peter Greis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #133
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
I am curious of one thing though. I am planning to use the H4n to record PA stacks at receptions, and also use the onboard mics to record ambient reaction audio. I plan on using the 1/8 "Line Out" port to send a wireless feed to my camera for backup/sync purposes. I wonder if I am recording in 4 Channel mode (using 2 mics and built in mics), which signal is being sent out of the "Line Out". Is it a mixed down 4 channel or simply 2 channel from either the onboard mics or XLR/1/8 input. If it send the onboard mics only, then that would suck, and do me no good, as I would want the miced PA stack and not the crowd reaction onbaord mics. If it's a mixed down 4 channel, then that's ok.

Gonna have to test this one.
Any update on this Michael? Just to clarify, it DOES have the ability to send out sound from the 1/8 input (because it's just a headphone jack right?), either from the onboard channels, XLR channels or BOTH is not yet confirmed though? I'd like to know what you're findings are. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this.

thanks
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Greis View Post
Randy: The video was shot with a Sony VX2000 (SD NTSC). Peter
Thanks Nate and Peter.
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #135
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Panado View Post
Any update on this Michael? Just to clarify, it DOES have the ability to send out sound from the 1/8 input (because it's just a headphone jack right?), either from the onboard channels, XLR channels or BOTH is not yet confirmed though? I'd like to know what you're findings are. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this.

thanks
Sorry Randy I thought that I updated this info, as I forgot about this post.
To make a long story short, when using either normal stereo recording (onboard mics, or XLR inputs), or 4-channel recording (built in mics + XLR inputs or XLR inputs + 1/8 stereo input on back of H4n), the H4n will combine all recorded audio into a stereo signal outputted from the 1/8 "Line Out" on the H4n.

Since you are outputting the H4n though the 1/8 "Line Out" as a stereo mix, when you take that signal and use a wireless to transmit to your camera, then your wireless will muxed that stereo signal into a mono signal to your camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio