Lectrosonic Wireless - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:34 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Lectro has been around for a very long time and has proven itself to be high quality and reliable. I've used the 100 series extensively and I own six of the 211 systems. I've also used the less expensive Sennheisers, Sonys, and ATs. Under controlled and less extreme conditions they are ok but the Lectros will always out perform them in terms of sound quality and reliability. Consider purchasing used. All of my 211s were purchased used for just a bit more than what the brand new 100 series cost. I use them a lot in adverse circumstances and I honestly don't think the cheaper units would hold up as well.
If you're serious about sound get Lectro or Zaxcom.
Bernie
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Trustee

Since you're relatively new to the wireless mic world, there's another truth you have to face.

NO wireless system, no matter the price or quality will have a superior ability to both sound as good or to be as reliable as a much more inexpensive wired mic.

This is just a simple fact.

At the high end of the wireless world - the sound is impressive and many will say the newest digital units sound "as good" as wired mics. But at a VASTLY greater price. Also, wireless mics have been made far more reliable as new transmission standards and digital encoding has developed - but the NATURE of the transmitter/receiver relationship and the way low power broadcast technology works (wireless mics, are after all, nothing but a low powered radio transmitter and receiver pair) they will ALWAYS be subject to conditions where they may fail.

The reason that the more expensive ones perform better is because these are COMPLEX electronic devices. So at the low end, when you've stripped out the ability to toss money at securing the BEST possible electronic components, circuit designs, noise suppression, and carrier locking tricks - you're left with gear that WILL be susceptible to problems that WILL degrade your audio capture.

In exchange for putting up with that, you gain FREEDOM of movement. Which is nice, but not always necessary.

To me, wireless mics are necessary evils.

Wonderful for what they are. But a pure hassle when they don't do what they're supposed to. And the less money you pay for them - the more often they don't do what they're supposed to.

Such is life.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Trustee

if you think lectro's are expensive, wait until you try zaxcom.

I have some new G3's, they are not bad at all, but I still like my ancient lectro 195's. hotter RF output always wins for distance, especially in a noisy RF environment. the lectro's are real mic / line level. the G3's are mic level / low line level. the lectro's are metal, with XLR connectors, not 1/8" mini jacks.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:12 AM   #19
New Boot

Go for a 400 series Lectro system. The advantages are superior sound quality, a stronger and more reliable working range, and best of all - an easy way to scan and actually look at the RF activity in the area.

I own an SRa receiver and two SM series transmitters. They're the iron backbone of my location audio kit.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Trustee

There you go again Sam giving away the secrets to reliable wireless sound recording. Most people who know what a good radio mic is but don't buy the Lectrosonic 400 series are wary of the upfront cost. Same reason I have stayed away from the Zaxcoms. I did pony up for the Lectro 400's and am very satisfied so I don't see the need to change manufacturers in midstream. By the way a couple of jobs screwed up by poor mic performance can cause you more lost income than you will make by using less expensive radio gear. Think of these kinds of purchases as long term investments. 10 years is not unreasonable amount of time to use a good system. In NY City where I do most of my work the RF environment is so harsh that frequency agile radio systems are practically a necessity. If money is burning a hole in your pocket you can go for more expensive systems but you will be fine if you go with the workhorse Lectros.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Daniel, Sam, I am looking into the Lectrosonic 400 for a upcoming series I am filming. Most of the time we can be wired which I have covered. But for wireless I need to upgrade. I like the water resistant transmitter pack but can't seem to find a dual receiver package at B&H. Also what freq block do you recommend?

Will check with Professional Sound Services today but always nice to have input from field users.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; January 7th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Bill's assessment in # 17 above is pretty much the most succint explanation of my position that I have read in recent history. I suggest EVERYONE bookmark this page in your smart data device and show it to clients who INSIST on using wireless audio, even if the camera and the speaker will NEVER be more than 10' from each other. And I know LOTS!
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

"There is a saying in Hollywood that the use of wireless microphones is more of a mystic art than it is a science, so use wireless lavs only as an absolute last resort."

Uncle Bob @ Uncle Bob | blog on Myspace

This guy is a world of audio knowledge from the independent film world.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I like the water resistant transmitter pack but can't seem to find a dual receiver package at B&H.
The SR dual receiver was originally designed for "slot in" cameras, however Lectro has Optional adapter kits are available for external mounting or bag use. If configuring an SR system, consult with a knowledgeable salesperson or Lectro directly. IMO, this is an instance where a smaller shop would advisable to configure your unique set-up. Trew, Gotham, LSC, Coffey, Dale, TAI, ect. (to name a few)
Lectrosonics-SR Dual-Channel Slot Mount Receiver
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks Rick that was right in front of me. The slot works well in my PMW-500 but I don't always use that camera so having the options to pull it and use the adapter kit is nice. Lots to look at for audio on this next job.

Agree I am talking to a couple of small shops that deal only with audio.
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Trustee

Hey Paul,
Frequency Blocks are a little tricky depending on the signals in your area and whether you are planning to travel and use them in another city. I bought all Block 21 units as I knew that higher blocks were going to be outlawed when the spectrum was auctioned off. It was also considered one of the so called travel blocks at the time but these days you never know till you get there what RF issues you are dealing with. They have added Block 19 and Block 20 units to replace the higher blocks they lost access to. I think Lectrosonics has some recommendations about what is good for your area but check with your dealer as they should help with this.
If you go for an unusual block you may find it hard to rent compatible units which may be a concern if you supplement your systems with others and want the same block for switching purposes.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Thanks Daniel,

That is a hard one for me since there is no one place I shoot most of the time.

What is looks like I will do for the first round in this series is try and stay wired. If I do have to go wireless it will be close 3-10 feet where wired just won't work. For this I will stay with my current gear.
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #28
Inner Circle

A little Lectro wireless advice.

After doing some testing with my Sennheiser G3 100 system they are new only used on 3 jobs and nice but too high a noise floor for me. Also just not built rugged enough, I am worried I will break them. I have decided to make the move to the Lectro 400 series.

I have read about the 400 receivers: UCR411A, UCR401, SR. I do have a slot in my PMW-500 but might not always use that camera for recording. I know I can mount the SR outside the slot but the UCR411A looks like my choice. Is this a dual system? (Answered my own question with their manual, it is single channel receiver) Input from Lectro users appreciated?

I will travel with the system and need to have options with RF.

Transmitter for me looks like the MM400C. I think that looks nice and rugged and never know if it could get wet. I never worry about my camera gear since it is properly covered but you can't count on the talent keeping the transmitter dry. Might also get a HM just in case. Again input from Lectro users appreciated?
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Found some answers.

401 vs 411, the 401 is AA batteries with fixed antenna and 411 is removable antennas with 9v batteries. I was told both are same quality which would lead me to the 401 since I prefer AA batteries.

The SR does have a $129 end plate so I could use it on other cameras besides my 500's slot. And this is dual channel. I am leaning this way.

The Countryman B6 was recommended as the mic to go with the MM400c waterproof unit.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
A little Lectro wireless advice.

After doing some testing with my Sennheiser G3 100 system they are new only used on 3 jobs and nice but too high a noise floor for me. Also just not built rugged enough, I am worried I will break them. I have decided to make the move to the Lectro 400 series.

I have read about the 400 receivers: UCR411A, UCR401, SR. I do have a slot in my PMW-500 but might not always use that camera for recording. I know I can mount the SR outside the slot but the UCR411A looks like my choice. Is this a dual system? (Answered my own question with their manual, it is single channel receiver) Input from Lectro users appreciated?

I will travel with the system and need to have options with RF.

Transmitter for me looks like the MM400C. I think that looks nice and rugged and never know if it could get wet. I never worry about my camera gear since it is properly covered but you can't count on the talent keeping the transmitter dry. Might also get a HM just in case. Again input from Lectro users appreciated?
I'm surprised you find the G3 noise high - did you set them up right?

Also, it may just be the mic. and a better one would be quieter.

Also, ruggedness is fine with the G3, they are extremely rugged and should take all you throw at them.

Yes, the Lectro are a lot more expensive and may be better, but the difference in ruggedness would not be very great I think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio