Lectrosonic Wireless - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM   #31
Inner Circle

G3 noise high?
Not as quiet as my 411s but it's never been a problem.
The G2/3 portable receiver will not drive a +4dB input, if someone is trying, it would be quite noisy. The output is un-balanced as well so a short cable should be used. I usually set the receiver's AF output level to -12 or -18 and feed a mic level in.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:28 AM   #32
Inner Circle

John I think the MM400c is a lot more rugged then the G3 100 transmitter. As for noise you are right it could mostly be the mic but I was testing in a very dry sound proof room. Maybe I am just expecting too much.

Rick thanks for your setup numbers I was very close so I don't think that is it. John could be right about the mic. Are you happy with the 411s? Which transmitter do you use?
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM   #33
New Boot

I have a Lectro 411 receiver and SMa transmitter that I use with a Countryman B6 mic. I have used the Sennheiser and I think it sounds fine but my Lectro system is built like a tank and sounds great for wireless. To me it was worth the extra money. It sounds better and the build quality is amazing.
Mike Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike for your input.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Found some answers.

401 vs 411, the 401 is AA batteries with fixed antenna and 411 is removable antennas with 9v batteries. I was told both are same quality which would lead me to the 401 since I prefer AA batteries.

The SR does have a $129 end plate so I could use it on other cameras besides my 500's slot. And this is dual channel. I am leaning this way.

The Countryman B6 was recommended as the mic to go with the MM400c waterproof unit.
411a's have tracking front ends. The SRa's and the 401's do not. Lectrosonics places the SRa's slightly better than the 401's.

You'll want the 411a's in heavy RF areas.

As for the Sennheiser deal.. They're great start-off systems, but after you compare them to any high-end systemsyou can clearly hear what you're missing out on. Of course the average joe wouldn't be able to tell.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Thanks Jeff I did not know that about the 411a, that makes it a better choice then the SR with all of my traveling.
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #37
Trustee

I have 2 G3's and will never use both at the same time anymore. With both mounted on my EX3, there was severe crackling and what sounded like very loud tv noise. I ended up moving them as far apart as possible which seemed to solve the problem during the interview I was shooting. Btw, I have never had this issue with my 2 Sony's.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #38
Inner Circle

HI Steve,

I have not had that problem.
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
HI Steve,

I have not had that problem.
Hi Paul,

I am hopeful that someone can possibly explain why this happened. For more info, I had one G3 on the front shoe facing backwards and the 2nd G3 on the rear shoe facing forwards. Maybe their antennae cannot be so close to one another?
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #40
Trustee

yes, you probably were on the wrong frequencies. if you custom tuned them almost for sure. within 1 senn bank, all the freq's are safe for use with each other. if you custom tune or use freq's in different banks, this can happen with any wireless, not just senn.
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
yes, you probably were on the wrong frequencies. if you custom tuned them almost for sure. within 1 senn bank, all the freq's are safe for use with each other. if you custom tune or use freq's in different banks, this can happen with any wireless, not just senn.
One G3 was set to 638.xxx and the other to 639.xxx - I can't recall for certain til I look at them tomorrow for another 2 interviews.
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Thanks for the good info here. I have three Sennheiser EW100 kits and I'm told I can't get replacement antenna because they are now "illegal" to use on those frequencies.

So . . . I've been shopping. Trying to find a "just as good" alternative to the Lectrosonics while knowing that the Lectros are really a better value once amortized across a decade.

Now I just have to pony up the almost five grand for a couple of sets.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Tom I was in the same boat and then purchased the G3 100 and am not happy with the units. They do not have enough power for a lot of my jobs. I was told to look at the new Sennheiser 2000 system, they are 1/2 the price of the Lectro systems and have loads of power with more channel options on the 2000.

I was ready to go with the Lectro system then had to leave for a week on a job. Now I am not sure for my next upcoming trip if I will go with the Sennheiser 2000 or Lectro.

Also might be worth looking at the new Rode Lav mic, nice sound and innovative cable option.

Has anyone purchased the 2000 system? Be nice to have feedback.
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gresham View Post
Thanks for the good info here. I have three Sennheiser EW100 kits and I'm told I can't get replacement antenna because they are now "illegal" to use on those frequencies.

So . . . I've been shopping. Trying to find a "just as good" alternative to the Lectrosonics while knowing that the Lectros are really a better value once amortized across a decade.

Now I just have to pony up the almost five grand for a couple of sets.
Are they G1 or G2?

I know that G2 can be converted to another band - Sennheiser UK certainly do it, but I'm not sure about Sennheiser USA.

Maybe Sennheiser USA do swap-out prices for replacement kit that would work out at the same price.

Quote:
Tom I was in the same boat and then purchased the G3 100 and am not happy with the units. They do not have enough power for a lot of my jobs. I was told to look at the new Sennheiser 2000 system, they are 1/2 the price of the Lectro systems and have loads of power with more channel options on the 2000.

I was ready to go with the Lectro system then had to leave for a week on a job. Now I am not sure for my next upcoming trip if I will go with the Sennheiser 2000 or Lectro.

Also might be worth looking at the new Rode Lav mic, nice sound and innovative cable option.

Has anyone purchased the 2000 system? Be nice to have feedback.
Power isn't everything.

The IBS did a range test at Pinewood studios recently - the one that came out with the best range was the bog-standard Sennheiser G3.

The Lectros were crackling and dropping out, as also did the Audio Ltd. (which I would have expected to have the best range) - the winner was the G3.
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #45
Inner Circle

John I am very aware power is not everything but on some jobs it is very important. My G3 100 cut out very close distance and crack at even a closer distance.

I find it hard to believe that the G3 100 at 30mW can out perform the 2000 at 100mW and the Lectros at 250mW with range. Can you send a link to that test?

Last edited by Paul Cronin; February 14th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio