Adding a shotgun mike to the FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 21st, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Adding a shotgun mike to the FX1

Ok. Let's face it. Not everybody can afford the Z1. So, what can be done in case a user buy the FX1 and wants to use a shotgun mike on it, considering that this model does not have the ring the Z1 has in which the mike fits? And what if I also need the horseshoe at the same time for an oncamera light?
-EDWIN
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

phantom power

it depends on the microphone. In my case I'll use a Sennheiser MK60 that needs 48VDC (phantom power), so I'll have to provide that. There's some adapters/converters in the market that convert 9V (battery provided) to 48V and have XLR in/out. I have one of those and works pretty good.

Still, is important to know more about the audio specs and operation of this camera. What's the sensibility? Is it adjustable by software? (not harware adjust, like the Z1) and what is the input soket? Miniplug stereo? Two mono miniplugs?. Just basic stuff that I do not know now. If somehone can provide information on this would be very welcome.

Ric
Ricardo Renaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This review answers some of those questions.

www.videomaker.com/scripts/article.cfm?id=10594
Deron Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think you guys haven't understood my question completely. I mean, how do I physically attach a shotgun mike to this camera if there's not a place for it? I see the Z1 has a place for its mike, also the XL1, XL2, etc. but not the FX1.
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I now realize what you mean. I never had this camera in my hands yet, so I can not comment on that.
Sennheiser sells some accesories to atach mics to anything.

Anyway, when I use a narrow shootgun like the Mk60 or MK70 I rarely mount it on he camera.

Also I think the mechanical problem is nothing compared to the task to provide phantom power and XLR to 1/8 miniplug connection plus attenuation (if that's necessary). Unless of course you use an electrect mic ( less quality than a real condenser).

Ric
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

search b & h, i bought a cool outrigger rig that allows you mount up to four shoe devices on the shoe.
Emmet Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Now that Ricardo brought the phantom power issue, does anyone has an idea about providing phantom power and XLR to 1/8 miniplug connection plus attenuation?
I know this camera is not out yet except from Japan, but I guess the answer will apply to any model.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

FX1 uses HDV-Compliant mpeg 1 layer 2 (similar to MP3, but a tad older) for it's sound recording in HDV mode. If you care enough about your sound that you would use a Sennheiser mic, forget it. Use a DAT.
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Donal is right. The audio is compressed, so I'm planning to use different audio setups:
a Dat for some shots .
a pair of Lectrosonics wireless transmiters feeding ProTools in a notebook, for music shots.
and for interviews or non critical stuff, just use the camera thru a Beachtek adaptor(Edwin, that answers your question.) The model DXA-6 is a good unit.

Anyway besides sound quality a good shotgun offers something else, like a well behaved narrow sound pattern. That alone, is enought for me to justify going thru the adapters initial complication.

Ric
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Donald: So, if the audio is too bad so it's needless to use a better external mic than the one built in, then what's left for event videographers, who don't want to carry a dat recorder on a belt while shooting? Will the built in mic do the job?
-EDWIN
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #11
New Boot

so any conclusions???

Any thoughts on how to bring XLR inputs and therefore a shotgun camera mic to the FX1??

A XLR to mini-plug adapter sounds like the best option.
Where do you then attach the mic??

I'm sure there is plenty of people who want to be able to record good audio with a shotgun mic and/or something like a wireless lapel.

Anybody working a neat solution?
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #12
Trustee

Edwin, I would suspect that the same setup I use would be good. I use a Beachtek DXA-8 attached to the bottom. It has my Bogen 501 quickrelease attach to the bottom of it (DXA-8). I use a hotshoe shockmount (starts with a B) to hold my shotgun mic for run and gun.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Does the "Pro" Z1 use the same audio compression as the FX-1?
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes. The nature of the format is a very very high compression rate.. But its still compressed.

Strange that they would choose MPEG 2 to do the audio/video compression with. But its such a high bit-rate, that it will seem uncompressed. (Or so they say anyways..)

But to jump to the original question, if your really interested in hooking up XLR connections (Shotgun mics, Lavs etc...), just get an mini adapter that has XLR and Balanced audio inputs.. Kinda like a mini-mixer.. (sorta..)

If you're going to spend $5000.00 on a camera.. Spend the extra $200.00 and get yourself a really decent line input device... It will make a HUGE difference...

-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

mono uncompressed

At least they could offer uncompressed mono in the Z1 if the data rate is not enought for stereo.

Ric
Ricardo Renaldi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio