Way to remove stabilizer noise? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Major Player

So here attached is a short first section of the audio with the 70-200 IS stabilizer noise. Sounds kinda like a geiger counter noise.
Attached Files
File Type: wav aMVI_0013s.wav (6.14 MB, 90 views)
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #17
Trustee

OK, the noise is relatively high frequency, and overlaps the guitar and ambiance fairly heavily... here's my results both with an EQ and a Noise Reduction filter in STP:
Attached Thumbnails
Way to remove stabilizer noise?-picture-1.png   Way to remove stabilizer noise?-picture-2.png  

Attached Files
File Type: wav aMVI_0013s.nr.wav (6.14 MB, 89 views)
File Type: wav aMVI_0013s.EQd.wav (6.14 MB, 88 views)
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Cole

James in AZ tried too but the audio is doomed i'm afraid. the client is satisfied with the photographs I got the the video was kind oof a value added thing anyhow.....
1. 70-200 f4L IS is NOISE
2. off camera mic now on if acoustic or interview.....
3. IS off unless really needed while video capturing.......

thanks
Harry
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Cole

I've been talking with Harry via e-mail and I also couldn't get this clean enough to use - I think I had different clips - the one I worked on was fairly long.

Just for the forum record I tried using Izotope's noie reduction and I also got a clean noiseprint (ie just the IS noise by itself when he was just moving the camera around) from Harry and used this to train the Izotope NR. I pretty well got rid of the frying noise, but there was still a lot of other noise in the clip.

I'll post a couple of short excerpts later tonight when I get a little more time.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #20
Major Player

I can't help ya on the noise that's on there, but I can suggest the Rycote Lyre type shock mount with is designed for such noises. InVision Video » Rycote
It may not fit the SVM, but for when you get a proper shotgun for outside, or hyper for inside, this will help kill the vibration.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Crazy thing is - the lens IS is that loud. It's not vibration as much as the motor is loud. The RODE SVM is suspended and all.
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
Thanks Cole

James in AZ tried too but the audio is doomed i'm afraid. the client is satisfied with the photographs I got the the video was kind oof a value added thing anyhow.....
1. 70-200 f4L IS is NOISE
2. off camera mic now on if acoustic or interview.....
3. IS off unless really needed while video capturing.......

thanks
Harry
IS should really be off most of the time anyway, unless you're shooting handheld. Most of the time video would be shot from a tripod and you'd never use stabilization when the camera is on a tripod, either for still work or for video. On a tripod it can actually introduce blur! For handheld, about the only time it really does much to improve sharpness is when your shutter speed is between 1/f and 1/2f where f is the lens focal length. Slower than 1/f it's impossible to get critically sharp even with IS on and faster than 1/2f it doesn't add anything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio