Wireless Bodypack for Lapel Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 6th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Bodypack for Lapel Mic

I'm looking to get a wireless bodypack for a lapel mic that I have.

It needs to have 1.5 - 10V Plug-in power capability and be as cheap as possible without compromising quality too much. Basically the audio has to be clear.

It is being used to transmit to a sound desk with a preamp.

Thanks guys.
John-Paul McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wireless Bodypack for Lapel Mic

Assuming your 'sound desk with a preamp' has Phantom Power via an XLR connection and you just need to power the mic, you could get a XLR Phantom power adapter, which is normally used to run a mic used with a wireless transmitter in a hardwired configuration. A specific/correctly wired adapter would be needed.. for instance, a 3.5mm TRS plug used for the Sennheiser Evolution G2/3 or a TA5 plug for Lectros' are common.. AFAIK, it's usually not low-cost option, and probably more cost effective to just buy a properly terminated new mic
This thread may help some.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...tom-power.html

Last edited by Rick Reineke; May 6th, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you. Yes that sounds like a good solution.

I'm not sure what the sound desk is. I know it is an 8 channel, professional quality desk with phantom power but it's in for repair at the moment and it's not mine.
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Having looked online, this might be the solution we go with.

Does anyone have any experience with either Beyerdynamic or this product in particular?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic...ack+microphone
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

what is the mic you have? Few radio packs supply phantom power, and realistically, radio is going to be expensive for anything worth having. Most will come with a mic - so this could be better or worse than the one you have.The adaptor to use a cable is also expensive - so both routes with your mic could be a problem.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Trustee

What's so special about the "lapel mic that you have"?

The reason for asking is that it will be almost impossible to buy a wireless kit (transmitter and receiver) that does NOT include a microphone with the kit. And then interfacing an existing microphone to a transmitter is not a trivial matter and could quite probably involve re-wiring the "lapel mic that you have" .

You should know that there are almost no wireless kits under €500 that are worth having. Practically anything cheaper than that is an unreliable, fiddly, disposable, plastic toy that will fail when you need it most.

Furthermore, do you REALLY need wireless for your (undisclosed) application? A $30 cable is MUCH BETTER than even a $3000 wireless kit.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The mic is an Olympus ME-15.

I have ordered this item to power it because this is fine for the application I have in mind:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm also thinking about using this headset with it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/171-857-Neck...set+microphone

Should it work? It says wireless but if it plugs into a transmitter, it should work wired right?
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Really confused - the XLR adaptor you ordered has a micon connector, to fit the Rode lav mics, not a 3.5mm jack? Why did you pick that product, it won't fit the mic you have.

The product you ordered is an OEM mic that's quite common. They don't sound too bad, but they use the 5V superimposed onto the audio to power them, and it doesn't work on devices that use the more common 3 circuit 3.5mm connector - and even they are often wired differently between wireless pack manufacturers.
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Confused for sure. As Paul stated the XLR Phantom power adapter has a Micon connector, for the Rode lav mics.
The headset mic seems to have a 3.5mm locking connector, typically used on the Sennheiser G2/3 wireless transmitters, however the competitive Sony wireless, also uses the 3.5mm connector, but it's wired differently, and the seller doesn't elaborate. Regardless, the above adapter would not work with either.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I spotted this after I'd ordered and ordered this instead:

CANFORD ELECTRET MICROPHONE ADAPTER 3.5mm jack
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #11
Inner Circle

What are you doing? You ordered a 3 circuit locking jack (for Sennheisers)???

You have a 2 circuit jack. Well - it will be interesting to see if it works. Fingers crossed.

These adapters cost more than the microphone!
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #12
Trustee

You never answered the question what is so special about the cheap €10 lav mic?
Then you ask about buying a €500 wireless kit (which comes with a much better mic)
Then you start looking at 3.5mm to XLR adapters (NOT "wireless")
And, besides they won't power the mic, anyway.
Not to mention being several times more expensive than the cheap mic.

You can see why we are completely confused what you are trying to do here, and why.

You want to try starting all over again and tell us what you are trying to accomplish, and what is your budget?
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I've got a lavalier mic. There is nothing special about it.

I want a way of sending the signal from it, to a sound desk.

That means powering it.

The first option I considered, was using a wireless bodypack and transmitting the signal wirelessly.

This was obviously a terrible idea.

Then I saw these xlr to 3.5 converters (which allow phantom power to be converted to the low voltage required for the levalier mic).

This seems to be a workable solution.

I will probably upgrade the levalier once I know I can connect it up.
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #14
Inner Circle

It's not necessarily a bad idea to use wireless, it's just a bad idea to purchase a wireless based on its compatibility with such a cheap lav. But you still haven't addressed the key issue: what is the exact application you're aiming for? You said you need to connect to a sound desk but in what environment? Are you shooting news, interviews, vocal recitals, speakers on stage at a conference, singers in a musical, a walk-and-talk plant tour, what ?????? The optimum approach for, say, dramatic dialog in a TV production will be wildly different from what works well for a lecturer in front of a classroom. Be precise and detailed about exactly what you're trying to achieve.
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #15
Inner Circle

John - what we are saying is that you could have bought a lav with an xlr output for less than you have spent, and keep in mind you may have to send the canford unit back anyway as it is 50/50 on if it will even power it! I understand you want to try it, but you initial asked for cheapness, and it has got expensive very quickly, for what it is. If the sound desk is being used for PA purposes, be aware (you probably already know) that volume before feedback with omnis is never very good.

I'm guessing that it's for PA but if so, audio technica used to sell a cardioid lav with xlr output. I've even got one somewhere. If you want to borrow it to try, I could hunt it out and post it?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio