Boom stand and boompole - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Boom stand and boompole

Kathy,

That is what I guessed. I do it all the time in situations very similar to yours. I like it a lot. The budget I work with varies greatly. Sometimes I get a full crew, sound guy is first priority, makeup/hair the last. I am also a SPC. These days the later is more common than I wish it was.

Keep in mind when you start talking about a high quality, full on boom rig you are venturing into the area where having a sound guy there to manage and operate it is the "proper" way to do it. Those sound guys are not there just to hit record. They come with the right kit to do the job. They also free you up to concentrate on your job. I also understand the real world of budget limitations. As a SPC the more roles we fill and the more complexity we add to the systems we use is not always a net gain. When you add complexity and more gear your mind and body are going to divert time and attention from your other roles. For instance, your sound quality may be improved with a high end system but how much attention were you able to pay to directing the talent or noticing small changes in the light that may have effected your exposure. It's is a tough balance we try to maintain. One person can only do so much. And in my experience, the client that refuses to pay for my sound guy does NOT want or expect a decreased level of quality. In over twenty years no one has ever said to me "I am not going to pay for that guy so I will accept crappy audio.". It aint going to happen! Everyone wants the best regardless of weather or not they are willing to pay for it. So...from what you have said about your projects I recommended the light and small side of things to "start with". That makes more sense to me than all of a sudden becoming a SPC that is now committed to dragging around a 12 foot boom pole, C-stand, multiple sand bags, more cables, etc, etc, to every gig in addition to everything else you use. I see the Manfrotto stand/boom as being manageable for you. I have to travel with gear. I use a good light stand, a heavy duty clamp, a fishing pole holder (a video one), and my boom pole on location all over the country. Notice I did not say c-stand. They are great tools, but you do not fly with them. I think I might pick up that Manfrotto stand/boom myself.

Some guys are probably going to give me a little grief for saying I put a Rode NT1A on the end of my boom sometimes. It sat in my edit bay for several years as my VO mic before I finally tried it on my boom. In some situations it works out great for me. It is far better than a shotgun mic indoors. I like it, no apologies made.

Steve
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #32
Inner Circle

"I put a Rode NT1A on the end of my boom sometimes. It sat in my edit bay for several years as my VO mic before I finally tried it on my boom. In some situations it works out great for me. It is far better than a shotgun mic indoors. I like it, no apologies made"
- Many well kowon & high paid VO artists swear by the 416.. which wouldn't be my 1st choice... but who am I

FWIW- I recorded the (muddy sounding.. IMO) JEJ: "This is CNN" on a U47... a bad mic choice.. but I was young, stupid... and captivated by mic's pedigree.. this comes back to haunt me to this day...
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #33
Trustee

Now that is a funny post Rick. And saying it is overly modest is an understatement so I WILL explain it clearly for those that do not fully understand audio guy speak. But it may not be to your liking because I am a video producer, not an audio engineer.

In plain English, Rick just said he recorded one of the most famous sound bites in the entire world! And it has been played tens of thousands of times the world over. If you are a DVI member over 17 years old you have heard it. It is the voice of James Earl Jones saying "This is CNN". He is also suggesting that the $4,000.00 dollar mic he chose to record it with was not adequate and made it muddy sounding so it haunts him! Modesty at it's best!

If I was the guy that recorded that bite I would be screaming about it to the entire world. And if I recorded it with two soup cans and a string I would claim I used a U47. JEJ has a muddy voice. You may not know that Rick, since you actually DID work with him when you were young. I would love to hear him try to pronounce Neumann or Telefunken correctly and without sounding muddy. Both of those companies have something to do with the U47. But I do not know anybody that can say Telefunken without smiling.

You never know who your talking to on this board folks. It is an amazing place. The level of expertise and knowledge sharing is incredible. So much to learn, and sometimes you don't even know who the guy is that is helping you get rid of that 60htz hum on your Dell computer speakers or helping you understand a C-stand and boom pole. Amazing.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Kathy,
I recommended the light and small side of things to "start with".
Steve
Hi Steve,
Can you clarify your statement?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
What do I need to shock mount my mic?
A Rycote USM for a side-address LDC or a Rycote INV-7 (or similar) for an SDC
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Another stand option for around $150 USD is the Manfrotto 420NSB 12.8' Convertible Boom Stand - .
For handheld booming I have a 9' K-Tec KEG100 and a 15' Loon. The K-Tec gets the most use.
I also have the Auray Holder and some standard size MI type booms for sit-down interviews.
Manfrotto 420NSB Convertible Boom Stand - 12.8' (4m) 420NSB B&H

Hi Kathy,

The quote is from Rick on P 1 of this thread. What I am suggesting is that you said you are a petite girl that works alone and you have to carry your gear all over the place. This one Bogen stand (its bigger than it looks) takes the place of all the components being discussed for you. It is essentially a boom pole, grip head, and c-stand all in one. And it is just $150.00. Yes it is a compromise in overall reach compared to a C-stand and long boom but it may still work well for you. It sounds like using fixed booms is new to you. If so I think you may be surprised by the proximity requirements of ANY mic on a boom. If they are not close enough to the subjects mouth they quickly fall off and start sounding bad. Booming either works or it doesn't. You don't just stick a mic out there and catch everything. This stand will get your mic in the proper position most of the time. If you don't like it and decide you want to go with the weight and cost of a c-stand/boom pole kit then you only invested $150.00 and you will still have a nice stand/boom in your kit. This stand/boom is great for hair or back lights and lots of other stuff.

Bottom line - For a single person crew this one stand/boom is a cheep, easy, and lightweight answer to boom a mic for an interview.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Manfrotto 420NSB Convertible Boom Stand - 12.8' (4m) 420NSB B&H

Hi Kathy,

The quote is from Rick on P 1 of this thread. What I am suggesting is that you said you are a petite girl that works alone and you have to carry your gear all over the place. This one Bogen stand (its bigger than it looks) takes the place of all the components being discussed for you. It is essentially a boom pole, grip head, and c-stand all in one. And it is just $150.00. Yes it is a compromise in overall reach compared to a C-stand and long boom but it may still work well for you. It sounds like using fixed booms is new to you. If so I think you may be surprised by the proximity requirements of ANY mic on a boom. If they are not close enough to the subjects mouth they quickly fall off and start sounding bad. Booming either works or it doesn't. You don't just stick a mic out there and catch everything. This stand will get your mic in the proper position most of the time. If you don't like it and decide you want to go with the weight and cost of a c-stand/boom pole kit then you only invested $150.00 and you will still have a nice stand/boom in your kit. This stand/boom is great for hair or back lights and lots of other stuff.

Bottom line - For a single person crew this one stand/boom is a cheep, easy, and lightweight answer to boom a mic for an interview.

Kind Regards,

Steve
If I wanted to, can I still attach a boompole to it?
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #38
Trustee

For what it's worth, here's a photo of gizmo I made which fits on a light stand (or whatever) and takes a 'boom pole'. The boom pole is actually a great, extending, aluminium, window washer pole slightly modified...strong and as long as...
Attached Thumbnails
Boom stand and boompole-boom-holder-2.jpg  
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:58 PM   #39
Trustee

Kathy,

The answer to that question is probably yes. But it would still not be the best stand to do that with. If it was done properly it might work, that is not good enough. But I don't own one so it would be better if someone who did responded. Because, again, it would have to be properly counter weighted, secured, and sand bagged, safety here is important. It is not a do all stand/boom. There is no such devise. You are not going to find a magic answer to meet every situation. I suggest you need to start somewhere. It looks like you are in NYC. The B&H Super Store is an awesome place. Can you go there? They will show you the real set ups. That may be best for you to make a decision.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #40
Major Player

Just read this article Getting By Without a Sound Person – How to Operate a Boompole without a Boompole Operator | B&H Photo Video Pro Video
Now I'm back to thinking about c-stand. Ahh :(
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #41
Major Player

Is this a crappy C-stand?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372016-REG/Impact_CT40MKIT_Master_Century_C_Stand.html
I think I am going to get both (c-stand and the Manfrotto) try and return the one that I don't like
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #42
Major Player

I do have a crappy light stand. I use an Impact Grip Head for Lights and Accessories - 2.5" Diameter and a K-Tek K-BC Boom Pole Cradle | B&H Photo Video

I use a K-Tek K-202CCR | B&H Photo Video boom pole. This boom pole extends upto 16 feet so filming wide is not a problem. To prevent the stand from falling over, a bean bag filled with sand/rice works fine.

Most of the times I do have assistants. However, at times using the boom pole on stand is really helpful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio