Better than replacing my broken headphone cables at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 19th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Better than replacing my broken headphone cables

It must have been over a decade ago that I purchased some headphones to monitor audio when shooting video. Back then the Sennheiser HD212 Pro Headphone model cost me about $110 Aussie.

Here's an unrelated video that shows the model of headphone.

Recently I was looking around for replacement headphone leads to replace the ones that have suffered over the years. I would like to note here that the leads suffered from the consequences of being too long and the sudden tripping/yanking that goes with it.

So there I am looking around the net and verily I stumble over the Sennheiser HD202 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751924-REG/Sennheiser_HD202_II_HD_202_II_Closed_Back_Around_Ear.html) which in Australia is about $60 AUD. Much cheaper, and why would you bother replacing the cable (and also the ear pads) when you could get a new one? I might add that the only difference I can see is that it's now black plastic instead of silver plastic.

So I'm happy, but I note that once again it comes with a ridiculously long cable. The cynical side of me wonders if this causes people to purchase a new set of headphones more than any other factor.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Better than replacing my broken headphone cables

Maybe now is the time (if you're good with soldering) to shorten the lead.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Even if you are not, you could always try this:
Attached Thumbnails
Better than replacing my broken headphone cables-cable.jpg  
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Pay even less. Five for $89.00

Hd202-pkg at BSW
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #5

Oh my goodness ... a five-pack special.

I never knew.

Andrew
Old July 21st, 2015, 04:44 AM   #6
Major Player

As far as I am aware, the 202 is a lower quality ersion of the 212.

Sennheiser used to make several (normally 3) different headphones with basically the same housing, just coloured differently.

The cheapest was for "bass heads" and normally had an artificially boosted bass end.

The most expensive of the 3 was the "audiophile" version and was the best quality and mor neurtral sesponse.

The difference was in the voicing of the heaphones to make the different sounds.

The 3m cable is normal for home hi-fi use - for portable use, just cut off the plug and shorten the cable (though, for some models, Sennheiser did make an optional shorter cable).
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:55 AM   #7

That's really interesting, and I have since learned via Amazon that the replacement model for the HD 212 is the HD205-II model ... which in turn doesn't seem to be available in Australia. Not to worry as these headphones are really just for monitoring what is going in to the camera and discovering issues before it's too late.

They certainly don't have the clarity of sound that my Sennheiser HD Linear II headphones have. But they'll certainly do for the task at hand ... and that's the practical part that counts on the day.

Andrew
Old July 21st, 2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Wrangler

I have a set of those Sennheisers and I was pleasantly surprised that I could get replacement ear cups as the old ones had started deteriorating. Another thoughtful thing on Sennheiser's part is that the headphone cable plugs into each ear piece as opposed to being hard wired in. Makes replacement of the cable very easy if necessary.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 05:31 AM   #9
Trustee

Newegg has the HD202 on sale right now for $15.00. Free (US) shipping is available, too.

Use this link:
Sennheiser HD-202II On-Ear DJ Headphones - Newegg.com

When you order, enter promo code EMCAVNW63. I'm not sure how long this deal is available, it may even expire today.

I just ordered a pair, and headphones are the last thing I really need.* But I just can't pass up a deal this good.

* Well ... the last thing I need, aside from Dell XP laptops. I seem to have dozens of them. I think they multiply at night when I'm not watching.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Attempting to solder Sennheiser headphone cables is probably my least favourite task. The ultra flexible tinsel cable with the nasty enamel insulation is rotten stuff to fix. With patience, practice, and now because of eyesight, a magnifying glass I can still do it, but the results are rarely pretty, and heat shrink pretty important to stop stray strands. I've never found a better way than carefully scraping the green or red enamel off, then using a very hot iron very quickly. Anybody found a better/more reliable way?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:54 AM   #11
Trustee

My experience exactly, Paul! I used to buy in HD 433's and the preceding equivalent models in lots of 25 or 50.
I quickly decided that soldering was way too difficult, so excessive length was just taped or cable tied up (less easy for troublesome teenagers to undo than the twist wire in my photo above). Our technicians also refused to do the solder job as it took far too long. Any cable failures were just binned after salvaging the pads and the headband.
The Sennheisers were easily the most economic in the long run though, and lasted far longer than other makes.

My own HD 25-I II headphones are as good as new after 8 years of almost daily use.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Trustee

GC Electronics used to make a product called Strip-X which would remove just about any varnish from any wire. Magnet wire, transformer wire, inductors in speaker crossovers, Western Electric tinsel wire (for telephone handsets), headphone cables, you name it ... Strip-X would strip it.

Of course it's off the market now. I'm sure it was toxic to the nth degree and would be banned anywhere in the civilized world. I surely wish I had an old bottle of it (although all the "good stuff" would have evaporated and migrated out by now). If anybody knows of a similar product, please post the details here ... my liver is longing for some more aromatic hydrocarbons.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio