Treating a room for voiceovers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 7th, 2016, 05:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Treating a room for voiceovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Of course, none of those acoustic boxes (home-made or store-bought) can do anything about the room acoustics or the ambient noise. Their only function is to decouple near reflections (and perhaps noise) from the back-side microphone sensitivity. IMHO, they are over-hyped and not all that beneficial.
I don't think there is any suggestion that a box in a room is going to match commercial voice over facilities, but the OP wanted something that was simple and inexpensive to use in a domestic room. Assuming that kids aren't running around screaming, dogs barking in the room and Jumbo jets flying overhead, a reasonably acoustically insulated box with a close pop filtered directional or cardioid pattern mic will do the job well enough of damping out reflections and low level ambient noise.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:57 AM   #17
Major Player

+1 for what Richard and Roger suggest about ambient noise i.e. refrigerators cycling on and off, outside noise like sirens traffic and so on. How close are you to a busy street?

In looking at your photo and assuming you are REALLY doing this on the cheap, what i would do is make soe use out of that mattress/bed, maybe lean that against a wall and right there you have one third of a make shift sound booth. For the other sides, as has been mentioned moving blankets for Home Depot work well in a pinch. I use these a lot. Keep mic close to talent as has also been mentioned. Proper levels on everything, monitor your audio with some decent headphones, and test, test, test. Your ears will help guide you too.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I've read some analysis about the small box-type solutions and they aren't all that effective. The main issue was the uneven frequency response. As is typical, HFs are easy; LFs are hard. On the cheap, blankets/duvets are the better solution, IMO. They also won't have a full frequency coverage, but they'll cover a larger area to help take the room out of it.

The frequency response issue is why I mentioned 703 and 705. Whether it's in-budget is up to the poster. It's generally cheaper than acoustic foam, so there's that.
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Here is what I did. I purchased 3" rockwool from Lowes (Safe-n-Sound), made frames from 1x3's, covered them with my fabric of choice and stapled it on. I use this room to record professionally. Since I recently moved the room has gotten smaller similar to yours. It will be plenty "dead".

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...73279024_o.jpg

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...21615168_o.jpg
Greg Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Very nice Greg.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #21
Trustee

For what it's worth, here is a photo of a voiceover box I've used for a project I'm working on. There is a Rode NT3 Mic in behind the pop filter. The box is made of 18mm customwood and lined with 'audio batts' and the box sits on the same to isolate it from the table...
The wall behind where the speaker sits is pretty dead...
Attached Thumbnails
Treating a room for voiceovers-voice-over-box.jpg  
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio