What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 11th, 2019, 02:54 PM   #61
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator?

Yeah sure, and that can be okay too. But I still want to advance in and become a better director overall. Just thought that since I also have a passion for audio, maybe I could use that to get on set experience too.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 04:06 PM   #62
Inner Circle

I know sound people who have become documentary directors. It really depends on what you want to direct,nothing stopping you getting paid work in the sound department, while trying to get your own film off the ground. However, if you continue as a director would depend on the quality of the completed film and if this is a bucket list thing or you seriously wish have a career as a director.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 04:55 PM   #63
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. I want to direct fictional feature films. I've helped out on other documentaries in the past, but did not like that type of filmmaking cause you do not know what people will say, whether or not in can be used in your favor, etc. I prefer scripted shoots for directing, and keep things fictional.

I would want a career as director over sound for sure.
Old December 11th, 2019, 05:33 PM   #64
Inner Circle

If you're a working director, that may not be a luxury you can afford, you have to get work where you can get it.
Old December 11th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #65
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep true, I just thought I would succeed more on movies that are scripted cause that means more control. I thought if it tried to stick to products that are more controlled, that they would likely turn out better.
Old December 12th, 2019, 02:48 AM   #66
Inner Circle

This seems to go back to your copy and paste approach to film making and your difficulty with thinking on your feet. Even Kubrick, perhaps the most controlling of directors, knew when to let go and let the actors come up with lines. Just because you are in "control" doesn't mean that you're coming up with something that's any good.

Regarding the "you do not know what people will say, whether or not in can be used in your favor," this is the same as writing a script, with the latter you may think it's great but it's actually poor. The unexpected from an interviewee can be the gem you're after or they may go in another direction, how likely this is to happens will depend on your skills as a researcher and an interviewer. Also, you're are still "writing" the story and sometimes it may not be what you think it is.

Directing feature films is probably most unlikely means of earning a living due to the large gaps between productions and you need to other work to pay the bills. Many will start on TV drama (even Steven Spielberg did this), commercials, music videos and documentaries.
Old December 12th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #67
Inner Circle

The one thing I haven't worked out is where are you actually trying to go with all this? Are you hoping to end up earning a comfortable living doing something you enjoy and also having the time to build a life outside the job? Maybe you just want to be admired as a successful director/boom op/sound recordist/DP or what have you, so that your peers respect you. Maybe you are someone who just can't stick long enough at anything and will always look for the end of the rainbow.

I am a sound recordist, producer, camera operator, editor, promotion designer, PR person and photographer. I do all of those things pretty well but wouldn't consider myself an expert at any of them. My main business now is producing wedding videos for my own business which covers all of the above. My work makes my clients happy, gives me total control and gives me a comfortable living. My subject matter doesn't have a script, but is full of characters, emotion and drama, all of which are a challenge to capture well in the documentary style that I use, requiring confidence in my equipment and ability to be able to cope with constantly changing scenes and location requirements.

You need to decide where you want to go and what path you are going to take to reach it. From what I have read on these threads, you are not someone newly out of college, but are already at an age when many of those decisions should already be bearing fruit. If they are not, then you need to make up you mind what will actually work for you and forget some of the dreams.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 05:05 PM   #68
Inner Circle

I find it odd that in a topic started to explain the career push to boom op, Ryan is now talking about directing again. I wonder if he actually has a career aspiration at all? Apart from being able to say he's in movies? All these topics morph and twist crazily. I'm losing the plot here now. In a few days, he's switched again!

Tomorrow we will be thinking about being behind the camera.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 05:13 PM   #69
Slash Rules!

Far as I can tell, he THINKS he wants to direct, maybe write, but as he keeps being told he's not ready yet or not good enough, he wants to do anything he can to get on sets, to gain experience and get back to directing, and believes booming is something he's good enough at to do so.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 06:00 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I find it odd that in a topic started to explain the career push to boom op, Ryan is now talking about directing again. I wonder if he actually has a career aspiration at all? Apart from being able to say he's in movies? All these topics morph and twist crazily. I'm losing the plot here now. In a few days, he's switched again!

Tomorrow we will be thinking about being behind the camera.
Ryan should be a boxer because he can rope a dope almost as good as Ali.

Many of us had said before he should concentrate on a simpler lower position than director on a professional production. I see this thread and think finally he's taking our advice. But that's when I fell for the rope a dope. He's wants to boom op so he can get on set to become a director or something like that.

He can't get a job as a director, so he tries to be a boom op, he can't get hired as a boom op, so he's going back to trying to be a director...
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2019, 11:41 PM   #71
also known as Ryan Wray

Well the reason why I went back to directing, is because first I am told to find a job other than directing and do that. So now I inquire about that other job, and now people are saying why do that if I wanted to direct. Should I direct or not then? I don't mean to do a rope a dope, I just find the responses to be contradictory now, that's all.
Old December 13th, 2019, 02:10 AM   #72
Inner Circle

There is no set path, it really depends on if you wish to earn a living at directing and if you want to do that, you should be aiming at directing anything you can get and these days that includes TV programmes, documentaries etc.

From the sounds of it you haven't yet got a short film selected for any festivals, so you're trying to run (making commercial features) when you haven't yet learnt to walk.

From what you say, you're more likely to learn a living as a sound recordist than a director.
Old December 13th, 2019, 02:18 AM   #73
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah I have entered festivals but haven't gotten into any yet. But I figure if I want to try to reach a goal, I cannot let festivals determine that on short films.

I am trying to walk as much as I can and I thought getting on other people's set with a skill is the way to go, since I was told to do that by others, to see how things are done more. But eventually I feel I got to take the plunge sometime. As for trying to direct anything, I don't think TV is going to hire me until I have gotten something more out their first. I really want to stay away from documentaries though, cause I attempted one so far, and helped out on others, and you it's uncontrolled, since it's not scripted. You don't know what people are going to say, and how things will turn out in the events you are shooting, compared to a scripted story.

I would say a documentary is more difficult to make than a fictional story because of less control, so I thought I would do fiction before attempting a more challenging, documentary. I want to learn and advance of course, but I feel that fiction is the better route to do so.
Old December 13th, 2019, 02:37 AM   #74
Inner Circle

It's getting selected for festivals that's key, many more films get entered than get selected. Festivals are a means for other people to judge your quality as a film maker, especially funders, you either do that or have relatives working in the industry.

Documentaries are easy compared to feature films, with a lot less pressure and politics. You have a real limitation if you can't deal with them, remember that you're telling other people's story and if you do your research right, you will know roughly what they're going to say.
Old December 13th, 2019, 02:52 AM   #75
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay I thought documentaries would be even more political since they are dealing with real world events and issues.

Well if I going to enter a movie that has much further chance of being selected at a festival, I think I really need to up my game, and get much better actors, and a much better DP. I was told do this for the feature I was planning on but if I do this for a short, should I spend quite a bit more money on bringing in the talent then, if that sounds better?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio