What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator? - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 15th, 2019, 02:32 PM   #121
Inner Circle

Re: What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator?

Generally with shorts, if you're not paying freelance people and they get a paying gig, there's an understanding that the paying gig gets priority.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #122
also known as Ryan Wray

Yep for sure, I payed before with those particular contracts. I can pay on future ones too. I was also told maybe I should do more takes to get better acting since before, having to shoot in a shorter amount of time, I was doing 4 takes per shot on average, but maybe that wasn't enough. But I don't want to do too many either to get it right, cause one time an actor took 17 takes before I called it as good, but then we ran into an extra day of shooting therefore too. So I was wondering how many it takes on average, if I haven't been doing enough.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #123
Inner Circle

The number of takes varies, as does the reasons, however, If you were shooting film on a short it would be unlikely you would do 17 takes.

The quality doesn't depend on the number of takes, first takes can turn out to be the best. You do tend to get higher number of takes on commercials, because you're after something caught in a couple of seconds with precise timing on the camera moves ,

If you've got time and budget pressures, you won't be able to go into another day, because you haven't the money. That's real life film making.

There's no set number of takes for quality, you may get it in a couple of takes. If you've got it you move on, there are no rules obout this Some actors are at their best on the first take, while others are better on the third. The director has to balance all this out.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 06:20 PM   #124
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
...I was doing 4 takes per shot on average, but maybe that wasn't enough. But I don't want to do too many either to get it right, cause one time an actor took 17 takes before I called it as good, but then we ran into an extra day of shooting...
Table reads and rehearsals beforehand increase not only actor's familiarity with their characters and lines, but also their personal investment in the project. A double win!
Old December 16th, 2019, 01:55 AM   #125
Trustee

Quote:
Oh okay, well the person who dropped out of the contract is now living in Vancouver and is more successful than me and other filmmakers I have worked with
Why don't you call him and see if he can help you get your foot in the door. Seems to me he owes you a favor if he blew off the contract.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2019, 02:19 AM   #126
Inner Circle

Quote:
But I don't want to do too many either to get it right, cause one time an actor took 17 takes before I called it as good
The usual reason for a large number of takes is the actor blowing their lines or corpsing, also delivering a single line in isolation can involve quite a few takes. The latter tends to happen in commercials.

However, you usually can tell when you've got the best you're going to get when the performances start to tail off. Trying top build up emotional intensity can involve a number takes, allowing the actor to risk more each time and dig deeper.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; December 16th, 2019 at 03:40 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio