What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2019, 12:38 AM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator?

I want to get noticed more as one, in order to get on other projects. I have boomed my own projects, but would like to get on others. However, other boom operators are more known than me and get all the gigs it seems. They are also the production sound mixers as well. However, I figure it must be difficult to do the mixing, while booming simultaneously, and it's probably easier to have one do the mixing and one do the booming.

Or would they rather do both to make more money, and therefore, it's tough for people wanting to be boom operators like myself?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 05:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What can I do to get noticed as a boom operator?

This is just going over and over what has been discussed in some of your other threads with in depth discussion and advice about boom operation, mics, sound etc etc.

You have previously stated that you want to be a director, DP, boom operator, editor, script writer and just about every other film role. I'll say what I've said before :- Get off of your computer with your never ending questions and spend an equivalent amount of time in the real world practising some of the high quality advice given to you here. If you want to be noticed, then you need to produce work that people will give you credit for. No matter how much advice you take here, if you don't actually use it to find your own way, you will never get anywhere. You are simply spending a lot of time getting endless advice, then dissecting it all and comparing one piece of advice with another in every possible scenario, making you an expert in absolutely nothing!

You cannot start at the top in any role no matter how much great advice you get, unless it is your own one man project that you can take all the roles and will be doomed to failure. Get out there and join a company sweeping floors, running errands and taking assistant work. If you work hard at everything you do, people will learn to trust you and give you more important jobs where you can learn alongside experienced professionals, not other students and beginners full of meaningless advice.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 09:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A boom op will usually go out because a production sound mixer has requested them. Many gigs are handled perfectly by a PSM who also booms. Some need a separate boomer. Some need a second boomer.

Do the leading PSMs in your area know your reel, skills, and credits? What do they think of you? Are they aware you’re looking for gigs? Do you know who they’re using when they need a boomer? Are your skills equivalent?
Old December 9th, 2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Aside for the other good advice. A "demo reel" is unnecessary. PSMs and boom ops traditionally do not have them.
There are lot more skills required being a boom op than simply holding a pole (correctly). They are expected to to skilled in hiding body mics and Tx among other general utility sound skills with IFBs and such..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Stay, or get in shape before anything else. Holding a boom up for a long shoot takes grit. If you become tired and slow, that’ll get you noticed.

Btw Rode have a new pro. NTG5 shotgun. One of its features is its light weight, 2.68ozs/76gms. That’ll help.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Cheers.
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Like others have already said:

1. You need to be physically up to it.
2. You should have professional equipment.
3. You need to have experience.
4. You need to form the right contacts.

This might mean working on a set doing something. When a opportunity presents itself... This is a process that takes time to cultivate. No one is going to hire you unless someone worth something can vouch for you.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:28 PM   #7
Inner Circle

[double post]
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:38 PM   #8
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
A boom op will usually go out because a production sound mixer has requested them. Many gigs are handled perfectly by a PSM who also booms. Some need a separate boomer. Some need a second boomer.

Do the leading PSMs in your area know your reel, skills, and credits? What do they think of you? Are they aware you’re looking for gigs? Do you know who they’re using when they need a boomer? Are your skills equivalent?
They've seen my short films in the local community. I told they I did the audio myself, so I think they I know I boomed them therefore.

As for who they are using now, I think they are just doing both jobs thenselves, at least that is what I have seen before when helping out on projects, in other ways.

As for holding the boom, and not getting tired, the longest I have held it for was 13 minutes so far, if that's good?
Old December 9th, 2019, 10:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The only references that matter are from paid gigs.
Old December 9th, 2019, 11:00 PM   #10
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay well I have had a couple of paid gigs so far, and have the one reference.

I just want to get into filmmaking more, and learn more, and I figure I got the boom, the boom mics, the shock mounts and wind protection, so why not be a boom operator to try to get in, since I've been doing it on mostly my own projects so far as well as a couple of gigs in the past.
Old December 10th, 2019, 01:48 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Btw Rode have a new pro. NTG5 shotgun. One of its features is its light weight, 2.68ozs/76gms. That’ll help.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1512606-REG/rode_ntg5_broadcast_shotgun_mic.html/reviews/BI/2855/KBID/3801
However the mount at 7.9oz weighs nearly 3x the weight of the mic. So if you use that combination you've actually got 10.58oz. Still lighter than an RCA ribbon ;-)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 03:14 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Ryan - we have to be cruel to be kind. In your film making circle in your part of the world, you have gone past "how do I get noticed?" Everyone knows you. They see everything you do. You have asked us on here to solve so many problems for you in every movie making role there seems to be. You have not yet found a single thing that you can do well, or naturally. Everything is a problem. For some reason, you're on a never ending spiral of attempts.

They seem to have gone now, but think back to your booming posts - well over a year ago. You couldn't;t solve the most basic sound problems with a boom. Avoiding noises. Elementary stuff that anyone seeking work in this role should never have had to ask. The kind of questions college people ask when they couldn't;t be bothered to do the basic stuff themselves.

If you lived over here within travelling radius of me, and I needed a boom op, sadly, I know enough to not even consider you. I'm sorry - but you would not be an asset to the team. I suspect this is happening where you live. You have got a reputation for being not very good. At some point you really need to get this. You have severe limitations you cannot, or will not accept. You seem, by your own posts, to know you are poor in many areas, but instead of learning and doing, you hop off one role and move to another, back as a beginner. Then when you've exhausted that one, you hop off again. Now you have closed the circle and want to do sound again - something you have already admitted you have little talent for.

We have been kind and helpful, but you are deaf to everything we say. Every time it's the same, and I for one cannot even start to do booming again. You didn't get it the first time, so what has changed.

In the past month, how many minutes of audio have you recorded with your mic, pole and recorder. Have you got the headphones you were going to get to be able to hear your mic, and have you sorted out the wind? Last time we left it. Your mic made noises, unless you put the wind protection on it, which made it heavy and difficult to use indoors? Did you ever solve this pretty vital issue? If you still cannot operate your boom with it naked, with no problems, then you have made zero progress. If no progress has been made - then your new idea is doomed from the start, because next week you will complain about wind noise when you move from person to person, and we've done that.

I'm sorry Ryan, but everyone has been amazingly patient with you but you really must do some thinking.

Did you every do that skills audit? Did it reveal your strengths and weaknesses, or just weaknesses?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Ryan - we have to be cruel to be kind. In your film making circle in your part of the world, you have gone past "how do I get noticed?" Everyone knows you. They see everything you do. You have asked us on here to solve so many problems for you in every movie making role there seems to be. You have not yet found a single thing that you can do well, or naturally. Everything is a problem. For some reason, you're on a never ending spiral of attempts.

They seem to have gone now, but think back to your booming posts - well over a year ago. You couldn't;t solve the most basic sound problems with a boom. Avoiding noises. Elementary stuff that anyone seeking work in this role should never have had to ask. The kind of questions college people ask when they couldn't;t be bothered to do the basic stuff themselves.

If you lived over here within travelling radius of me, and I needed a boom op, sadly, I know enough to not even consider you. I'm sorry - but you would not be an asset to the team. I suspect this is happening where you live. You have got a reputation for being not very good. At some point you really need to get this. You have severe limitations you cannot, or will not accept. You seem, by your own posts, to know you are poor in many areas, but instead of learning and doing, you hop off one role and move to another, back as a beginner. Then when you've exhausted that one, you hop off again. Now you have closed the circle and want to do sound again - something you have already admitted you have little talent for.

We have been kind and helpful, but you are deaf to everything we say. Every time it's the same, and I for one cannot even start to do booming again. You didn't get it the first time, so what has changed.

In the past month, how many minutes of audio have you recorded with your mic, pole and recorder. Have you got the headphones you were going to get to be able to hear your mic, and have you sorted out the wind? Last time we left it. Your mic made noises, unless you put the wind protection on it, which made it heavy and difficult to use indoors? Did you ever solve this pretty vital issue? If you still cannot operate your boom with it naked, with no problems, then you have made zero progress. If no progress has been made - then your new idea is doomed from the start, because next week you will complain about wind noise when you move from person to person, and we've done that.

I'm sorry Ryan, but everyone has been amazingly patient with you but you really must do some thinking.

Did you every do that skills audit? Did it reveal your strengths and weaknesses, or just weaknesses?
Absolutely correct Paul, you have been endlessly patient, more than most, but Ryan has to face up to the facts and get into actually doing and learning all the rock bottom basics by working alongside proper professionals.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Slash Rules!

I get the impression there aren’t many/any where he lives.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 06:45 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, the answer may to get a gig as a trainee in the sound department on a major production. For the other types of production there is either a one person crew or the sound recordist does their own boom operating.

I've worked on lots of productions where the trainee has done the type of stuff that Ryan has been doing, You need to be around a bit in order to even get a gig as a trainee on these productions.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio