ORTF symphony recording - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 6th, 2020, 08:56 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: ORTF symphony recording

John, you might want to look at this support page:

https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...error-messages

"Sorry, Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here

If you’re seeing this error in the player, the video you are watching has domain-level privacy enabled. The video’s owner can adjust the domains where a video can appear within “Where can this video be embedded?” section of the embed settings page."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 02:39 PM   #17
Major Player

313 people have watched this. So I don't know what's going on.
Old May 7th, 2020, 10:19 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone. Boyd, I'll have to dig into it. I set the video up so that the viewer had to have the specific link. You can't search and find it you have to have the link. That being said, if you have the link, it should work. Its odd that Andrew is not be able to use the link. Is there some weird region roadblock set-up by specific countries. Maybe someone does not think I have the rights to show the vid? j
John Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 05:41 PM   #19
Trustee

ORTF is my favorite technique - you get very precise instrument locations and a natural sound, as compared with multi-mic recordings or simple omni spreads. I do not think the middle is lacking much - the oboe solo is right in the middle of my head when I listen on headphones. The recording is a little rough sounding though; is this Vimeo compression?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2020, 06:52 PM   #20
Equal Opportunity Offender

Weird, today this Vimeo page works for me and I can watch the video.

Code:
https://vimeo.com/410136994/b5a7463040
I think I'll chalk up the problems as being a temporary glitchy issue with Vimeo.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2020, 12:03 AM   #21
Inner Circle

When I recorded the Fremantle Symphony Orchestra a few years back, I was experimenting with what mics I had during rehearsals until I was wisely counselled on this forum to respect my orchestra with decent gear.

I built a Decca tree arrangement. I had a Rode NT2A for an omnidirectional centre mic and two Sony C74 shotguns for my wing mics. The Sony mics have rear lobes in their pickup pattern so each became an improvised figure8 with the rear lobe of each mic coinciding with the centreline of the other.

Each was aimed for best sound into the headset and the included angle between the two ended up being about 120 degrees. The mix was three channels into two via a Yamaha MG166c and the recorder was a Zoom H4n.

By the night of the recording I respected the orchestra as best I could afford by buying two more NT2A mikes and calling in a recordist who knew what he was doing. The three mikes were L in figure 8, Centre in omni and R in figure 8.

These clips are by no means in the league of what you are doing but may provide interest in the comparison between the two setups.

Rehearsal

Final recording.

NOTE: The rehearsal clip may not play cleanly. This is a tech issue I can not do anything about. Youtube seems to have shunted old clips with low viewing numbers to an archive. They do not turn up in normal search and has trouble finding them in channel manager. The clip skips when I try to play it here now. Hopefully it may play better for other viewers now that it has been woken up. I hope they fix this issue. People are going to search their own archives and clutter youtube with multiple copies of their clips if this keeps on happening.

Last edited by Bob Hart; November 5th, 2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2020, 11:58 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Plays fine for me here.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2020, 05:41 PM   #23
Major Player

I would try again using a private browser...or if you have access to VPN, you can 'choose' the country of IP origin (I believe).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2020, 05:43 PM   #24
Major Player

Sounds great John...with my Sony headphones. Clean and warm sound, perhaps just a tad lacking in the high frequencies. Then again, my ears aren't as young as my brain would lead me to believe.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2020, 09:55 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Bob, good to hear from you again. It was a long time ago but we met at NAB in the late 1990's. We were seated next to each other at a Sony Vegas party. I won a dvd mastering program, we both agreed that was a score!

Anyway, one of the biggest improvements in my recordings came when I stepped up to the Zoom F8n from the H6. The pre-amps really are very good.
I researched the Decca tree when I first started down this road. It just seemed too damn complicated. ORTF seemed the most natural to me. Dead simple to setup and returns great results. I've strayed from the setup because of the orchestra having to spread out so much from the virus.

Thanks Oren.

j
John Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio