Is stereo necessary? Rode NT4 for documentary, interviews... - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Pablo Villamil
Exactly.
The concern with, say the Sony mike or the AT 835ST in L/R mode, is that they don't do a straight transform between M-S and L-R: they apply multipliers to give the narrow or wide field effects. (It would be nice to know what these multipliers are...) So you'd have to do some tweaking to reconstruct the exact, original M-S inputs. However, since the MSED plugin is doing two symmetrical transforms, you can still use it to tweak "spatialization" of an incoming L-R signal, even if you don't know how that signal was constructed from the original M-S. You're basically applying differences.
Thanks Gian. You've explained things in a way that's easy for me to understand. So after reading this, I conclude that considering the high cost of M-S mics, and my need for an internal battery, I'm going to buy a AT825 stereo mic (AA battery and lightweight). If I want to try to get M-S audio, I'll use that piece of software to manipulate the recordings and obtain it. After reading the posts, the AT825 seems to have fewer noise issues than the Rode NT4, and is half the weight. The Sony would be decent perhaps, but it seems that pros doing use it. That seems to be a revealing fact on its performance.

Any opinions about my decision before I go out to buy? Thanks for the rental idea, but at $45 per day, its not worth it for me to rent and I don't know what I'm listening for yet. I'm going to make my decision based on those finely-tuned & experienced ears of the people who know
Ray Ambrosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Here's a thought: get some video you like (maybe a clip from a movie) with stereo sound, drop it into your NLE and use the MSED plugin to fiddle with it. That will give you an idea of what is possible.

For example, copy the stereo tracks. Use the plugin on the original tracks in "inline" mode to drop the gain on the mid and leave only the sides. Use the plugin on the copy in "encode" mode, gain up the mid and kill the side to extract only the center channel. Mix all the tracks together. Experiment with panning the center channel back and forth. You should be able to do stuff like moving only the dialogue from left to right, while the background sound stays put. It's no substitute for actually having a bunch of different mikes, but you can have some fun, and learn some stuff.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #63
Fred Retread

BTW, several other of the free VST plugins at that site are nice too--a real time frequency distribution display, a mono to quasi-stereo processor, etc.

Last edited by David Ennis; May 28th, 2006 at 12:39 PM.
David Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
Yeah, that's the question alright.

In this case, how "line" is line, how "shotgun" is shotgun? Within what looks to be the interference tube of a short shotgun, there's the figure-8 capsule, which must be in the slotted section of the tube, plus the mid capsule... so how much interference tube is left to provide side cancellation to the mid capsule? Does the mid-mic have the (hollow sounding) characterstics of a shotgun when used indoors?

I'm looking for a single-housing M-S mic for primary use indoors. With what I can afford there are really only two I'm aware of, the AT835ST and the Shure VP88. However, I don't know anyone who has either one, nor a retailer in this area, so I'm very interested in Gian Pablo's experience of the AT.
Well there is the Neumann RSM 191 (you will be really upset after hearing it to know you can't afford it). You can get a lot of work done with the 835ST.

I have a review of both in my archive.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #65
Fred Retread

Ty, although you found the LF roll off patterns of the ATs interesting I gather that you liked the overall sound of the VP88 better. Is that right?
Old May 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Well there is the Neumann RSM 191 (you will be really upset after hearing it to know you can't afford it). You can get a lot of work done with the 835ST.

I have a review of both in my archive.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty, thanks for the advice. I *have* employed a sound engineer who has the RSM 191, it is an awesome mic that I would love to use all the time, but no, I can't afford to purchase one!

I'll check out your reviews.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Quote:
Ty, although you found the LF roll off patterns of the ATs interesting I gather that you liked the overall sound of the VP88 better. Is that right?
Well the problem is I didn't review them at the same time so I can't respond directly in a A/B sort of way.

I do remember that the wider settings of the VP88 resulted in noticeably more noise (presumably from the gain being turned up on the side capsule.)

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio