Shotgun Mic Help... Thanks! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 26th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey Jeff,

I have been thinking about buying the SA-568. Did you get yours yet? How well does it work (if you got it)? What type of video work do you do?

Thanks,

Al
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #17
Major Player

I haven't received it yet. UPS has apparently lost it (NEVER AGAIN!) but I haven't been able to do anything else about getting it replaced because of the holidays.

I'm hoping to get it this week and try it out next weekend. I'll be using it primarily for nature sounds both directly as as ambient background for videos. Possibly for the rare interview.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:40 AM   #18
Trustee

The AT mics (835 & 815) have a somewhat lower output than the ME66,
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Well, I recieved my Azden SGM-2X shotgun mic & Beachtek SLR adapter. I think this is a higher quality mic than the SA-568. The hissing (white noise) I heard on the SA-568 is virtually non-existent on the SGM-2X. The shock mount on the SGM-2X also seems dissipate almost all of camera handling noise. The mic is lighter but is longer than the SA-568.
As far as the XLR adapter, this actually seems to decrease the signal strength slightly as opposed to using an SLR-mini plug cable directly to the camcorder. But I assume the advantages are when using more than one mic at a time. I also does a nice job of converting the mono signal coming out of the shotgun mics into a stereo signal. Although I also did this when using the SLR-mini plug cable by buying a $4 attachment at Radio Shack.

I will use this mic at a wedding ceremony on Sunday, so I can post more then.
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #20
Major Player

Jeff,
I just ordered a SA-568 from Tom at Zotz. He said he doesn't recommend UPS for those anymore. I asked him if it had anything to do with Jeff Price and he was blown away. I think he thinks I can read his mind now. I had a good laugh. I hope it's a good mic, Brian seems to think it is.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #21
Major Player

My first impressions, based on VERY limited use are -

1) The mount is not adequate and the microphone will require some sort of isolation from the camera. Mine picks up a nasty hum. I don't know whether a simple isolator will do it or a shock mount is needed.

Otherwise it seems like a very sturdy microphone.
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #22
Major Player

More on the Schriber on the GL2 -

There is a definite annoying hiss when the microphone is on the tele (hypercardiod) setting. The hiss is present regardless of gain level (but increasing in volume as gain is turned up). It is present on and off the camera and outdoors and indoors. The hiss is not apparent in the normal (cardiod) setting. The hiss overshadows most other sounds.

I still need to try the mic on a GL1 to see if the problem persists. It's possible it is a defective mic, by the way. Even on the hypercardiod setting it picks sounds up behind me quite well.

Oh well, time to consider a plan B.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Jeff,

These are the same exact things I noticed about the SA-568 mic. I am much happier with the Azden SGM-2X.
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #24
Major Player

I think the hiss in Hyper mode may be due to an incompatibility of impedance, but it is unfortunate.

So, you say the Azden doesn't have any hiss on the GL2, and it's more directional?
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I asked an "expert" if it was due to impedance matching problems but he said no, I still think it is. The problem is that by switching the SA568 to hypercardioid setting the mic impedance changes. The Azden achieves its hypercardioid setting by a barrell extender, its a little longer than the SA568 but I think the performance speaks for itself. I think it is just as directional as the SA568, but without the hiss.
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:19 AM   #26
Major Player

There is the possibility that the two mics I've tried were defective (the same batch). I'm going to call NRG (the manufacturers) and see what they have to say.

You don't notice the hiss as much on tape as on the headphones, and it's still quieter than the on-board mic.
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #27
Major Player

I have a call in to NRG to talk to them about the hiss in the SA-568. Their engineer is out 'til Tuesday so I won't have an answer until the middle of next week.

So, if anyone else gets their mic and tries it out on a GL2 let us know if you hear any hiss in the hypercardiod setting.

I hear hiss on both settings on a GL1 and only on the hypercardiod setting on a GL2 (through headphones).
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:40 AM   #28
Major Player

Has anyone used the Azden SGM-1X?

Does it have a hum?

Oh yeah, does the Senni ME66/K6 Combo have a hum with the GL2?
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:05 PM   #29
Major Player

I have an Azden SGM-X, not -1X, that makes no hum. It does pick up GL2 zoom noise when too close to the lens, but no electronic noise.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:14 AM   #30
Major Player

It's important to separate hum from hiss in this discussion.

The hum that I described is caused by the mount not the microphone. The mount is transmitting a vibration from the camera to the microphone. The hum on the SA-568 is not present if it is hand held or boom mounted. So, a different kind of mount will likely take care of it nicely.

The hiss on the other hand is internal to the microphone. It is present whether the mic is on or off of the camera. So, the hiss is likely not going to be easily rectified (short of a different mic).
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio