Shotgun Mic Help... Thanks! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #46
Major Player

The Schriber can be used with or without an XLR. If you were never going to use the XLR adaptor then you might be able to get away with the SA-600. However,

At NRG's request I ran another set of field tests on the microphone I have. This was done in much the same conditions as I would be using it, recording bird calls and ambient sounds - which certainly has quiet places in between the sounds. I made sure that at least some of the sounds reached the optimal level according to the GL-2's onboard audio meter, to 'load the mic' as NRG put it.

Results -

GL2 microphone - no hiss or hum, really not bad compared to the GL1 at any rate.

SA-568 hooked in but turned off - no sound at all (as you would expect unless there was a camera defect).

SA-568 in normal mode, camera in auto mode - no hiss, but I really didn't think the sound was that much better than the GL2 microphone. Maybe a little better sensitivity.

SA-568 in tele mode, camera in auto mode - noticeable hiss, coming in at between 10 and 20 db on the left hand of the audio meter. You did get enhanced pick up of sounds but at a cost. Even with ambient sounds occasionally pushing max on the meter the hiss remained present.

SA-568 in tele mode, camera in manual mode with gain set to optimal for ambient noise (at least with the built-in mic). Hiss terrible.

The microphone is going back today.

I'm waffling between the Canon DM-50 (maybe not great but it is stereo) and the Azden SGM-1x to replace it. The Audio Technica and the Azden SGM-2x I feel are both too long for on camera field use (especially in rain forests, etc.). Then get a Sennheiser in a year or two.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #47
Regular Crew

The Azden SGM-1X sounds good, but it is a money issue for me. It can only be used with an XLR adapter, which is another 200 green backs.

I have been considering your approach to start out with the DM-50 and step up in a year or two to a nice XLR mic. Can't do it all at once...

Thanks for your input. It was very helpful.
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Actually, you don't NEED to use an XLR adapter. You just need an XLR Female to Mini stereo plut, but it needs to have some sort of capacitor built into it. I know this works because I used the cable that came with the SA-568, but I only got audio on 1 channel. Then I got a $4 adapter from Radio Shack and I was able to get stereo sound directly into the GL-2. The XLR adapter just gives you some more control of the volume, and it takes care of duplicating the sound to the second channel. It sounded exaclty the same with or without the XLR adapter.
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Interesting. What was the exact name of the adapter you bought at Radio Shack? I can only imagine going in there and having some yahoo have no idea what I am talking about.

This could help solve my problem.

Thanks.
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I actually have the reciept: part # 2740374
Description: 1/8 inch Mini Plug Mono to 1/8 inch Mini Plut Stereo.
Make sure that the plug end has two black bands which indicates its stereo. Its silver/chrome metal all around, no plastic. It was $2.99 plus tax. Make sure you get the right XLR female to 1/8 mini plug though. I saw the cable at Markertek.com, I would call them and ask them about the cable.
Lester DeLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Thanks!!

This is great to know. Deep down I really don't want to buy the DM-50 because I know at some point I will want to use shotgun off the camera.

For example, an iterview at the beach with the shotgun pointing down over the subject is not going to happen with the DM-50. And if by chance in this scenario I want to have the ocean at their backs the interview will be no more than a tidal wave sound bite with two people that happen to be in the picture.
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #52
Major Player

A penultimate resolution to my part in this thread at least. After missing the opporunity to capture some great sound on Sunday I finally called in lots of favors, gave up presents for years and was able to convince the CFO to let me get the ME66/K6 combination. I've also ordered a Beyerdynamics shock-mount and XLR-mini adaptor. Still need to find a reasonably priced foam windsock or furry zeppelin for it.

Zotz has been great throughout this whole ordeal.

I'll post a final message once I can try the Sennheiser in the field (hopefully next week).
Old June 10th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Jeff.

I am impressed with Zotz too. I have been talking to Brian and told him flat out I decided against the Schriber due to reading multiple posts on this site. I have not heard one good thing about that mic.

My current conversation with him is centered on the Audio-Technica AT835b. Although it's a little more than I wanted to spend, I think it will be worth the money if I go in that direction.

The only other mic I am considering is the Azden SGM-1x, which is a lot cheaper ($149 at B&H with a shock mount) but I don't think it's as good as the AT835b.

I have been struggling with this for days...

I really wish I could test these myself before the purchase.

Have fun with your ME66.
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:25 AM   #54
Trustee

Alex
You need an female XLR tp 1/8 stereo adapter. It's under $10 at B&H.

The Hosa XVM-101

http://www.hosatech.com/audio_cables_index_3.html

It's $9.50 at B&H and doesn'r require the stereo adapter.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___158476___HOSMMRAXF1___REG___CatID=0___SID= F5E7C4F4870
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #55
Major Player

The in-house videographer at National Wildlife Federation recommends the AT835 as a reasonable alternative to the Sennheiser. My only problem with the AT was its length. Given the areas I pack my camera into (either over my shoulder or custom mounted on a backpack frame) I thought the extra length was a real liability.

Zotz carries an XLR to miniplug adaptor ($9) so you can ask Brian about that. I also needed to get the $25 shock mount.

Still looking for a reasonably priced foam windscreen (or fuzzy). Yes, Lightwave makes great products - but at premium prices!
Old June 10th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #56
Regular Crew

I agree, I think the length would bother me on the run as well.

I think I finally decided on the Azden SGM-1x. I will be using it predominately for upclose voice/interviews, so AT835b or higher would just be overkill for that application. All I need (not want) is a VW, not a BMW. It's all about the precious $.

Thanks to Lester, Jeff and Bryan for the miniplug info. This helps me keep my cost down.

This community really is awesome!
Old June 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #57
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Price : I'm waffling between the Canon DM-50 (maybe not great but it is stereo) and the Azden SGM-1x to replace it. The Audio Technica and the Azden SGM-2x I feel are both too long for on camera field use (especially in rain forests, etc.). Then get a Sennheiser in a year or two. -->>>

It's odd that you happen to mention RAINFORESTS of all things. I have the GL2, MA-300 + Azden SGM-2X, WD-58H, BP-945, and Century Optics DV Matte Box. My wife and I spent two weeks trudging through the rainforests and beachs of the Pacific Northwest -- Olympic National Park, Ruby Beach, Second Beach, Eagle Creek, Cape Flattery, etc. I hiked the trails (mild to intermediate) with ALL of that gear stuck to the end of my Gitzo G1380 head + G1325 carbon fiber tripod rig (NOT packed away).

The SGM-2X is NOT too long at all. It's just perfect and is about a micron out of the way of the WD-58H's view when all the way out. The audio is EXCEPTIONAL and I monitor with a pair of quality Sony headphones (700 something or other). I went into Camera World in Portland, OR specifically to buy the Senn ME66, but after checking out the SGM-2X at the salesman's recommendation I walked out with those. I simply can't tell the difference in everything I shot between the Senn and the Azden. Plus, the Azden gives you an omni mic and a windscreen (it works surprisingly well). From the review(s) I've seen comparing the AT, Azden, and Senn together, the Azden seems to produce better sound and is more directional -- and it's only $220!

I view the SGM-2X as THE PERFECT mic for the GL2/MA-300.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #58
Major Player

There is a difference between the rainforests we are talking about. I was referring to tropical rainforests in Australia with NO trails. On top of just the vegetation there is a nasty plant down there called wait-a-while vine. Think of a hooked rose plant except hanging down out of the trees.....nasty stuff. If I was staying on trails or roads then microphone size wouldn't be much of a problem.

Then there are the green ants. Beautiful unless they get on you as they have one nasty bite. Their colonies are frequently on hanging down branches.

So, it becomes a good idea not to touch or rub into things - keeping your gear as compact as possible.

I also tend to carry two cameras with me. One in a holster by my side with no additional hardware to use for 'grab' shooting. The other is mounted on my tripod and has the tele-extender and microphone on it. This is mounted on an internal fram pack so I can carry it on my back for long distances yet still be able to set it up quickly (as opposed to setting up the tripod, taking the camera out and setting it up, hooking the microphone to it). With wildlife photography you may not get long, nor get a second chance. So, a microphone sticking out too far with this rig would just snag a branch.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Ahhh.... THOSE rainforests.

Well, ANY microphone is going to get you in trouble then, regardless of the size. While the MA-300 XLR adapter and SGM-2X are certainly larger than the Canon DM-50 I doubt it'll create that much more of a problem.

It's likely you'll have the same problem(s) regardless -- but at least you'll get great audio ;-)
Old June 13th, 2003, 09:01 AM   #60
Major Player

One of the reasons I ended up with the Senn was the realization that sometimes I might be better off just using my camera as a tape recorder and handholding the mic (and this would work for the Azden's as well). Just leave the camera in the bag, set it on auto and press the record button when I want to capture sound.

More often than not it is just the ambient sounds you're after anyway. Sync isn't important then.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio