DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Homemade 35mm Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/17195-homemade-35mm-adapter.html)

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 06:38 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : <<<-- Originally posted by Jon Yurek : Interesting. VERY interesting. I may have to steal your idea of using the fan casing when I make mine. And is that a fresnel lens in the shot where the CD is off? -->>>

ya thats the fresnel, im still unshure of the proper distance away from the GG, right now its about 1/8" away (1/4" would be better)

Im pretty happy with using the fan. Its quiet and smooth. I used a part from an old DVD player to hold the CD, gluing that on center of the fan was a pain to get it centered. I also had to trim alot of plastic of the shroud with a mill so the GG wouldnt rub. -->>>

Jim Lafferty December 11th, 2003 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by John Gaspain : heres my version,

im still experimenting with having to zoom slightly. I think that I can get the camera closer to the gg...
Very cool. I'm using that same box housing from Radio Shack, but my design isn't nearly as industrial.

For those of you using the CD motor -- I noticed my portable CD player uses two "AA" batteries. Would upping that to a 9v stress the wiring or motor itself?

Also...my latest trip to Home Depot had me looking over the sandpaper section. I've already used 150 on my GG, and 600 was nowhere in sight. Agus, and others who've experienced success with their design -- can we see close-up, clean shots of your GG?

- jim

Mike Perkin December 11th, 2003 07:29 PM

On my trip to HomeDepot the finest grit sandpaper I could find was 400 grit. It seemed to work well.
Mike

Bob Hart December 11th, 2003 07:41 PM

If not using sandblasted or chemically etched glass, I would be inclined to get hold of some 600 grade lapidary grit (silicon carbide), clamp two clear CD disks back to back with a firm seal around the inner hub and outer diameter edges, put a bunch of bearing balls into a gemstone tumbler barrel with the grit and water, turn it on and leave it to its own devices for a few hours.

As long as the two disks have not moved against each other or grit got in between them, you should end up with two clear disks with a translucent surface on one side and smooth on the other.

I would do only one pair in a barrel at a time as sliding edges will cause long scratches not short pitts.

Just a thought.

Peter Sciretta December 11th, 2003 07:44 PM

i am using 2 AAA batteries (1.5 volts each) on the cd motor and I think thats going too fast and making more noise then it should... not nearly as much as the radio shack kiddie motors but noticable noise... any suggestions?

BTW: What project box size you guys using?

Paul Bettner December 11th, 2003 07:50 PM

Bob, you're actually close to the mark on how to create real ground glass. You basically take the grit, add a bit of water, and rub two pieces of glass together for about 20 minutes. Using that method you can create better-than-professional-grade true GG, if you take your time at it :-)

paulb

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 07:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Sciretta : i am using 2 AAA batteries (1.5 volts each) on the cd motor and I think thats going too fast and making more noise then it should... not nearly as much as the radio shack kiddie motors but noticable noise... any suggestions?

BTW: What project box size you guys using? -->>>

7x5x3, its takes a bit of heat to make the GG fit without rubbing

Peter Sciretta December 11th, 2003 08:02 PM

what do you mean by heat?

Tom Jensen December 11th, 2003 08:03 PM

Using a 9v battery....

may burn the motor out if it doesn't it will spin REALLY FAST!

I took the motor/CD holder out of an old portable CD player, snapped a CD into it and connected it to 3v. WHOA! It spins too fast. The gyroscopic effect was very pronounced and I was concened if my"Agus35 Mark 12 Pro Rev 1.0" was jerked to quickly the CD might come of holder!

I then connected it to a single 1.5v cell and its much better. It still spins at a good rate.

Tom

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 08:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Sciretta : what do you mean by heat? -->>>

fire, use a mini blow torch or windproof lighter to melt the inside of the box to fit

Peter Sciretta December 11th, 2003 08:09 PM

by fire/heat what exactly did you do to the box because i have the exact box and can't figure out how to make the lens fit?

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 08:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : <<<-- Originally posted by Peter Sciretta : what do you mean by heat? -->>>

fire, use a mini blow torch or windproof lighter to melt the inside of the box to fit -->>>

Danny Tan December 11th, 2003 08:59 PM

www.elpez.com/agus35test.mpg linked

Ryan Henry December 11th, 2003 09:47 PM

Here are two pictures of my quick-and-dirty attempt to make one of these things. It works! Now I'm going to spend a few dollars and make a nice one.

The lense was biult into a 35mm camera and by the time I wrestled it out it could no longer be focused. I changed the motor on it and had to mount the lense backward to get it far enough from the GG. The big gash in the side is from only having 100 packs of CDs and having to cut a huge hole to shove my camera into.

http://vistatheater.org/~rhenry/agus...35-1-front.jpg
http://vistatheater.org/~rhenry/agus...s35-1-side.jpg

J. Clayton Stansberry December 11th, 2003 10:17 PM

For those looking for fine grit sandpaper, try the auto parts store in the paint section. They usually have really fine grit wet/dry paper for doing touch up or other paint/body work. I have gotten 1000 grit at auto part stores before. They should at least have 600...

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 10:33 PM

I added an adjustable fresnel lens

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fa528f0c.jpg

edited to say: HELL YEA! thats what i needed! its adjusted out a little over 1/4". This fixed any vignetting.

J. Clayton Stansberry December 11th, 2003 10:54 PM

John,

A couple of questions:
1. Where did you get the freznel lens?
2. Where did you get the fan?
3. Is the box the one from Radio Shack?
4. When are we going to see some footage with the fix?
5. Plans?

Agus,
How are your plans coming?

Thanks in advance...
Clay

Paul Bettner December 11th, 2003 10:55 PM

Hey John, what tool did you use to cut such perfect holes in the box?

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 11:02 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by J. Clayton Stansberry : John,

A couple of questions:
1. Where did you get the freznel lens?
2. Where did you get the fan?
3. Is the box the one from Radio Shack?
4. When are we going to see some footage with the fix?
5. Plans?

Agus,
How are your plans coming?

Thanks in advance...
Clay -->>>

1-Walgreens $1.50
2-computer store
3-radio shack
4-I need a better GG, so in a while
5-Just look at the pictures for now

John Gaspain December 11th, 2003 11:04 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Bettner : Hey John, what tool did you use to cut such perfect holes in the box? -->>>

I used a hole saw attachment on my milling machine, a drill should work tho

Peter A. Smith December 12th, 2003 12:11 AM

John what's the size of the fresnel lens 2x3?

John Gaspain December 12th, 2003 12:16 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter A. Smith : John what's the size of the fresnel lens 2x3? -->>>

it was 2x3 :) then I cut it up into 2x2

Stewart McDonald December 12th, 2003 02:59 AM

Is the Fresnel lens a subsitiute for a macro lens?

Matt Gottshalk December 12th, 2003 07:20 AM

http://scientificsonline.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=fresnel+lens

Here's are several decent Fresnel lenses you can get and then cut down to what size you need.

Here's another place as well:

http://www.3dlens.com/fresnellens.htm

Do you see the lines from the fresnel lens on your recorded image?

Zac Stein December 12th, 2003 07:44 AM

would it be possible to rip a fresnel out of a 35mm slr camera?

Zac

Matt Gottshalk December 12th, 2003 08:32 AM

To invert the image you could also inster a dove prism in between the GG and the camcorder lens or fresnel:

http://www.optosigma.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OS&Product_Code=pg137&Category_Code=Dove+Prisms

J. Clayton Stansberry December 12th, 2003 09:07 AM

John,

Thanks for the answers. I am going to try to get started this weekend. Is the fresnel lens used so that you don't have to zoom in so far? And, how much does it help the problem of not having enough light? Thanks again...

Clay

Jim Lafferty December 12th, 2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by John Gaspain : HELL YEA! thats what i needed! its adjusted out a little over 1/4". This fixed any vignetting.
Let's see some footage!

If you don't have hosting for your footage, drop me a line at info@ideaspora.net and I'll park a 15mb file on my server for you.

- jim

Stewart McDonald December 12th, 2003 10:30 AM

So is the fresnel a good replacement for a macro adapter? Which would be better?

Thanks

Spencer Houck December 12th, 2003 01:28 PM

Fresnel and Macro

The way I see it, the fresnel is placed between the SLR lens and the GG to focus the light more directly onto the GG.

[| < |==== | [|[|CCD

1.SLR lens
2.Unfocused light rays from SLR lens
3.Fresnel Lens (about 1/4 inch from the GG)
4.Redirected Light Rays (reduced vigneting)
5.GG
6.Macro Lens attatched to Video Camera's lens to allow it to focus on the 35 mm negative sized image on the GG while zoomed in.
7.Video Camera

Hope this helps some ppl out...excuse my terrible ascii art skills,
Spencer

Agus Casse December 12th, 2003 01:43 PM

Re: Fresnel and Macro

<<<-- Originally posted by Spencer Houck : The way I see it, the fresnel is placed between the SLR lens and the GG to focus the light more directly onto the GG.

[| < |==== | [|[|CCD

1.SLR lens
2.Unfocused light rays from SLR lens
3.Fresnel Lens (about 1/4 inch from the GG)
4.Redirected Light Rays (reduced vigneting)
5.GG
6.Macro Lens attatched to Video Camera's lens to allow it to focus on the 35 mm negative sized image on the GG while zoomed in.
7.Video Camera

Hope this helps some ppl out...excuse my terrible ascii art skills,
Spencer -->>>

Have you even tried that ? cause i believe it wont work, the fresnel have to be after the GG and before the Camera.

J. Clayton Stansberry December 12th, 2003 01:49 PM

So does it help light and focus then?
Thanks for the diagram Spencer.

John,
can't wait to see the footage.

Clay

Spencer Houck December 12th, 2003 02:36 PM

Re: Re: Fresnel and Macro

<<<-- Originally posted by Agus Casse :

Have you even tried that ? cause i believe it wont work, the fresnel have to be after the GG and before the Camera. -->>>

I've tried it and its the only way i belive it will work. Also take a look at John Gaspain's design:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...c/fa531009.jpg

I don't think the fresnel is accomplishing anything optically if you place it after the GG. By then all is done in terms of vignetting on the GG, nothing you can do to change it from the Camera side besides zooming past it.

Anyone else try out a fresnel?

Spencer

Agus Casse December 12th, 2003 02:39 PM

Post some footage i am actually curious cause i didnt use a fresnel, i use a magnifying glass in the Dv lens.

Nice evolved model dude :) how much are you spending so far ?

Peter Sciretta December 12th, 2003 04:02 PM

I am experiencing a high flicker... anyone have any idea why?

here are two pics (after film look post) from video i did today

http://www.orfilms.com/luke1.jpg

http://www.orfilms.com/luke2.jpg

J. Clayton Stansberry December 12th, 2003 06:15 PM

Agus, John, and anyone else who has made one,

How do you know where to cut the holes? Obviously, one hole has to be bigger than the other. Do you just guess as to where they should be?

Is a fresnel lens the same thing as a magnifying glass? I went to Walgreens and got a bausch and lomb "magna-thin" magnifier as it is the closest thing they had that resembled what John used. Is this it?

John, I bought the bigger box (8X6X3) and the GG clears it fine...just a little more bulky. I have all the stuff ready to go, but don't want to mess anything up and have to start over. Also, John, how did you connect the camera to the box?

Ok, can't wait to get started. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Clay

Bob Hart December 12th, 2003 08:07 PM

To Peter Sciretta.

High flicker. My guess is you are getting an intensity strobe effect which might be related to variations in density or texture of your groundglass surface and the disk rpm coming close to the frame rate of your camera which means that although the texture of the surface will be moving fast enough past the frame to average out all the small defects, larger patches of say quarter to half a disk size will phase in and out of your frame. The scratches on your groundglass disk - are there some which go straight across the disk or uniformly circular in an even finish?

Your 35mm lens centreline axis is also bent off-centre to the left in your second frame so I guess you are at very early prototype stage yet.

Peter A. Smith December 12th, 2003 09:34 PM

According to this link from what i understand: http://www.camerascreens.com/PDF/Ins...ew_Cameras.pdf

You put the fresnel lens between the gg and the lens.

Here's a difinition from B&H photo: A fresnel lens is an accessory for a groundglass focusing screen. It helps "even-out" the brightness of the groundglass image and make the image appear brighter. The effect is more noticeable with wide angle lenses. Fresnel lenses are essential when using reflex housings.

I haven't tried this out, but i'm going to assume it should be place between the gg and lens.

Clay just know the size of your SLR lens and Camcorder lens, then get a hole saw or a mill and drill the holes. You need to convert the millimeter sizes to inches e.g. 37mm = 1 1/2 inches
52mm = 2 1/8 inches, 58mm = 2 3/8 inches

Friendly advise from a fellow Texan

Peace Peter

Peter A. Smith December 12th, 2003 09:44 PM

My bad

My bad Clay you asked where to put the holes. You have to be careful aligning the lens hole and camera hole. I goofed once and had the lens hole lower than the camera by 1/4 inch. So one side of the film can became useless. Just measure and mark each placement of your holes including your motor and thay should lessen the degree of the vignetting.

More friendly advise from a fellow Texan

J. Clayton Stansberry December 12th, 2003 10:09 PM

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the advice. I got out the ol' trusty tape measure and got the inch readings. I hope to find center of both and somehow line them up and get them centered. I just didn't know if anyone else had any tried and true methods. I am still wondering about where to drill the holes on the box (CD spindle)??? I guess that's what makes this so great...fly by the seat of your pants! Well, we'll see what I come up with if I don't hear from anyone else...

Clay