4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #811

By the way, Juan, WOW! Just checked that clip of the ext. night shot you uploaded. REALLY NICE!!!!!! How many stops of lattitude are you getting on that would you say?
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #812
New Boot

actually Juan, on the last cap you posted (cap10), the blue ch. alignment was off by 1px to both down & right on 1240x794 scale i.e. move up & left to get it right.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #813
Major Player

Thanks Helen...i will re-do it when i get home today.

Laurence, I'm not sure how many stops that is but i'm going to take some shots on film for comparison. Problem is, last time i tried i used ISO400 film because i thought that was closest to a CCD, but I couldn't get a low enough exposure, they all came out very washed out.

Will try again tonight....

Anamorphic countdown timer: 24 hours <g>
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #814
Major Player

Here is another HD test. I took 35mm stills of this one using 100ISO film this time. I'll have them developed tomorrow.

Only did an auto-levels and an up-rez with base settings.

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/cap11_HD.tif
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #815
Major Player

At last! I just hooked up the exposure control, so I now have iris control during RAW capture.

If anyone has any suggestions of what tests can be done with this important aspect of control, let me know. I still have the scene from the previous post setup.

Juan
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #816
Regular Crew

Juan,

Responding to your request for suggestions:

One thing that I noticed about most of the images that you have posted is that when I adjust the levels in photoshop, I notice that they have most of their picture information in the dark through mid range, and very little picture info in the highlights. I was starting to wonder if maybe the CCD just didn't go that high, but this last one, cap11 HD, seemed to have at least some info at the high end.

So, I am interested to see how the raw images deal with the upper end of brightness; how it transitions to pure white. Now that you can control exposure, we can finally see just how far you can push this thing.
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #817
Major Player

Thanks Justin....

Here's what I had in mind...setup a similar scene to the last post, and take RAW and DV frames in small exposure interfvals.

I'll try and put together a collage of the DV and raw frames so we can see how much more you can push it.

Haven't gotten the anamorphic yet, any minute now.

Gonna get a gyro, then i'll start the tests.....

Juan
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #818
Major Player

Here's a thumbnail of the images i'm getting with he anamorphic adapter. I did some color correction on this one and applied a log curve...

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/cap12_pre.tif

the few dots you see are speckles. I've been trying to wrap my head around the myriad of aspect ratio changes involved, i think i got it close but it might not be perfect.

Juan
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #819
Trustee

Juan how are you going to deal with 12bit files? what can edit a 12bit file? I know after effects can open 16bit files but 12? I am having the same issue with the 4:4:4 10bit camera
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #820
Major Player

Put the 12-bit data in the upper 12 bits of 16 bits. Set the lower 4 bits to 0. It's the same thing. The data is 16-bits in size but 12-bits in precision.

Juan
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #821
Trustee

so then you waste disk space ? or does the 0 mean nothing in the bottom=16bit file that is the size of a 12bit file?
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #822
Major Player

At processing time, having 16-bit data actually helps because even though you start with 12-bit precision, all color corrections/FX are done in 16-bit precision.

If you are concerned about storage, then you need to PACK the data.

Computers works in 8-bit bytes, so if you want to use the maximum amount of space, you have to pack the 12-bit data across byte boundaries, which could require some basic error correction to make sure you don't loose data somewhere.
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #823
Trustee

do you know a good fast codec for packing? I will need it BAD as a tiff file at HD is about 5 megs! that will never edit in a computer unless its a SMOKE or some fancy box..do you know anything about BitJazz the makers of the SheerVideo codec?
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #824
Major Player

35mm vs DVX100 RAW test
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

35mm Fujifilm ISO100 image:
http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/35vsDVX_35.jpg

DVX100 image:
http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~pertierr/35vsDVX_RAW.tif

These were taken yesterday, without the anamorphic adapter. The scene is exactly the same in both images, the only differences being the camera/medium, and the film camera was located higher and to the left since the DVX is not very easy to move right now.

Juan
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #825

Juan, great example! The DVX image looks excellent. Will the speckles in the RAW DVX image ever be gone completely? I've noticed those in previous images as well. I recall you saying that would be fixed with a different capacitor, I could be wrong though.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods