4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old September 15th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #1141

keep in mind that this a total guess, but... maybe in order to take advantage of pixel shift, you would have to be converting to YUV, like the DSP does (at least i assume it does). if the R, G, and B channels are somehow converted to YUV individually first, and then the Y (luminance) channel of the original G channel is combined with the Y channel of the other two, then maybe it somehow improves image detail. or maybe it's the U and V channels from the G channel that somehow are combined with the other U, V channels, though it seems like that wouldn't make sense. but regardless, i would assume that the utilization of some other color space is a part of the whole pixel shift technology thing.

i read somewhere that the Arriscan film scanner uses pixel shift to obtain a 6k frame using a 3k scanner. maybe someone science-brained can look up the patent info (if that's even possible).

juan, can you post a new raw frame straight from the camera? i have no idea if any of the other frames i have from you have had the green channel adjusted or not.

Old September 15th, 2004, 03:26 AM   #1142

i did a quick search and found these...

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~linchuan/demosaic/
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~linchuan/demosaic/adobe-raw.php
http://www-ise.stanford.edu/~tingchen/main.htm

i have no idea if those sites help any, but i know they make my head hurt. maybe someone can write one of those authors a charming email and ask for advice.

Old September 15th, 2004, 04:38 AM   #1143
Regular Crew

Ok I Tried a search but with no result, so anybody remembers if DVI is in or out ?
I think this could be quiet important.
Take Care
Emmanuel
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #1144
Major Player

I forgot a little thing....
I guess that kind of setup would require the use of an anamorphic adapter unless you want to resize the image to anything near the 4:3 aspect ratio after the interpolation...
Cause if the CCD is 794x4XX you will end with 1588x4XX (anything around a 3.3 ratio)
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:08 AM   #1145
Inner Circle

DVI is normally output from computers and input on veiwing equipment. I thought I found an AGP 3D card with input, but apparently was wrong on that. We discussed this over at the cinema camera technical thread (I think) and I did post a DVI input board there.

Juan P, thanks for your answers.

If you look at the cinema camera thread (and the obsura cam wiki) you'll get an idea of just how much capture performance you can squeeze out of a computer in HD, which is enough. USB2.0 has a lot more cpu performance hit than IDE and Firewire), and Rob Scott is getting much better capture peformance than expected as he learns more.

Thanks

Wayne.
Old September 15th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #1146
Major Player

Yeah, I gotcha. It's the middleman that causes such problems.

Thanks for the explanation!
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #1147
Major Player

Juan(M.):
Remmeber that the DVX's green channel is enlarged in both dimensions, so there is pixel shift in both axes...it's not only shifted horizontally but vertically as well...so the final aspect ratio should be about the same(?)
Old September 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #1148
Major Player

didn't know that, sorry.
Well, if that is the case, just two possibilities are left.
I could be an amazing high resolution image, or it can be really a mess :)
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #1149
Tourist

Is this for real?

I have been reading this forum with great interest. Juan's work looks very cool. However, after waiting for over a month for the website to appear I am begining to wonder if this thing will ever come to fruition.

Any ETA as to when the site will launch?

Thanks
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #1150
Major Player

Please do realize that this is essentially a one-man operation. Opening a company of any size is a huge task, both time-consuming and monetarily. Not to mention the rest of the tasks such as actually BUILDING this.

As of right now I am working on assembling final production hardware.

Juan
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #1151
Major Player

Also, thanks to everyone who posted info on the mosaic approach, it seems that this will indeed work, and I am modifying my code right now to do processing based on this. I think I can get a GREAT ~720P image with this system, while still mantaining the same bandwidth.....very cool. I say ~720P because with the anamorphic adapter the image will be more like 1.83 aspect ratio.

Juan
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #1152
Tourist

Juan,

Sorry be so eager to see something. I'm sure the more work you put into it, the better it will be.

Waiting patiently. Sorta.
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #1153
Major Player

Hey, that's ok...i just want to make clear that i'm not just sitting here idly. There's stuff going on which is critical to doing this correctly and legally. :)
Old September 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #1154
New Boot

What was the format again?

Hi all. I haven't posted in a while. I forget - what's the file format that Juan's mod records in? And what software can edit it? For us film out guys, Photoshop isn't a viable nonlinear option. Thanks in advance =)
Old September 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #1155
Major Player

Right now it outputs TIFF's, but other formats can be included if needed. For example I have code working for cineon/dpx files as well.

TIFF's can be loaded into FCP as frames if your system is fast enough, or you can create an EDL using DV footage which was recorded while recording in RAW.

Juan
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods