4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #106
Trustee

I wana be on da dagon list toooooo ;)
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #107
Major Player

For those of you that wanted to see one of my test setups, here is what my workbench looked like today:

http://expert.ics.purdue.edu/~pertierr/dsc00005.jpg

I did some more tests capturing 7-bit/blue sections of frames and recording DV output at the same time. I confirmed that the camera indeed will work perfectly as normal while the raw RGB output is being piped out. It definitely seems that the raw frames are 771 pixels wide and a bit taller than 480(486?) but not much taller. There is a lot of the CCD (horizontally)physically masked off...maybe the masking can be removed somehow for a wider image???

Tomorrow i should make a lot of progress, because I am hooking it all up to my desktop for continous capture(instead of sections of frames with the logic analyzer in the picture), and also, the big brown truck comes tomorrow with some parts that might solve the whole probing issue....looking good so far.

Cheers,
Juan
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #108
Major Player

Put me on the list.
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #109
Major Player

Nice shop Juan,

I guess I'll have to wait for more detail

John
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #110
Major Player

Rotating the CCD's

Juan-
Since you have first hand knowledge of the ins and outs of this camera's CCD's I have a question for you.

How hard would it be to physically rotate the CCDs 180 degrees and remount them?

This would be very helpful for the all the DVX100 people over at the Homemade Mini35 forums.

Thanks and sorry about the off subject question.

-B
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:08 AM   #111
Major Player

It doesn't look hard at all. The CCD's are easily accessible, and seem to be glued on to the prism. The trick would simply be to find some way which they can be re-attached(or glued?) while allowing time to align them correctly....i think the alignment of the 3CCD's would be the critical part, i'm pretty sure it needs to be done with test equipment.

Juan
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:25 PM   #112
Major Player

Continous capture works. I was able to capture continous frames for the blue A/D at 7-bits. The raw frame size is:
771x494

I might be off by a pixel. From what I see, a small part of this is cropped when put onto tape, and the rest is compressed to fit in 720x480.

The only part left is to set it up to capture all RGB signals at full precision, which I am working on right now.

Juan
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #113
Major Player

You could probably sell this mod ya know, after all this hard work you are doing it could be a good pay off!
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #114
Trustee

Juan knows this I think! I am for one inline to buy it!
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #115
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : You could probably sell this mod ya know, after all this hard work you are doing it could be a good pay off! -->>>

If this is adaptable to an XL1s I have the money waiting ;)

(although i've been silent untill now, because i'm waiting to see what success Juan has with his setup before i jump in bugging about the possibility of porting it to an XL1)
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #116
Major Player

This is totally portable to the XL1s...the only problem is that i haven't been able to get the service manual which i need...if anyone can get a service manual for the XL1/s, please let me know asap.

Juan
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #117
RED Code Chef

A quote from Don Palomaki:
Quote:
In the US service manuals can be ordered from Canon, cost is on the order of US$55. To get one you may have to pass a gatekeeper that may ask you to sign a warranty waiver for any damage or alignment problem caused by attempting to repair or work on your unit.

The manual for the XL1, which I've seen, is very technical, does not cover all internal components and circuits, just the major ones, and would be useless to anyone but a knowledgeable technician with a bench of test equipment and specialized tools. If the XL1s manual is like the manuals for the old L2 and A1 series, it may build on the content earlier manuals by reference to them rather than reprinting material that is not changed from the XL1. The lens has a separate service manual

In the USA, start at 800-828-4040. Follow the prompts for parts if there is one
Bob Deming says:
Quote:
I have the parts and service manual available. P/N DY8-1160-000;
# D16-0712 NTSC 1998 edition.
Keep in mind that this is the XL1 manual, not the XL1S. There
doesn't seem to be a service manual for it.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #118
Major Player

Thanks Rob...

I contacted Canon directly a while back ago and they told me that they do not sell service manuals to the public, but i'll try and see if this can be ordered directly.

Juan
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #119
Regular Crew

Hi Juan

I have been following up on your progress with great intrest. I have one question ...not related to what you are doing but close

can you alter the communication protocol to lanc control some how ..if possible ...???or is it simply not possible ...that could make life incredibly easy .....

just a querry if it would be possible or not......

thanks
Old February 27th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #120
Major Player

Can you elaborate on what you want it to do? I'm not very familiar with LANC but i beleive it's an interface to do remote controlling of common functions like focus, zoom, VTR, etc....i might be wrong.

I beleive the DVX already has a LANC port, what do you want it to do differently?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods