4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old February 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #121
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The Panasonic does not use the LANC protocol for camera and lens control. LANC is a Sony-owned protocol that must be licensed from Sony. So, no, Juan cannot just add that feature while he's in the camera's guts.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #122
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : The Panasonic does not use the LANC protocol for camera and lens control. LANC is a Sony-owned protocol that must be licensed from Sony. So, no, Juan cannot just add that feature while he's in the camera's guts. -->>>

Or if he could, he would be smart not to sell it. Sony might not like that too much.

-Rodger
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #123
Obstreperous Rex

The DVX has an "Aux" jack for remote operation but the protocol is very different from LANC anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #124
Regular Crew

So the amnwer is no!!!!

just a querry!!! :)

Thanks
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #125
Major Player

Update....

The chip-clip problem has been solved...:) I now have all signals probed with the camera closed, I am waiting on an adapter to interface the cable that comes out of the camera to either the logic analyzer or the capture board....it will be here monday.

one question...what do you guys think is acceptable as far as location for the external circuitry? Because of the way the camera is designed, there is NO WAY to get the signals out through any other place other than the bottom of the camera. The cable is a very thin flexible ribbon cable, so it will not prevent the camera being mounted on a tripod, but i'm wondering where the small box could be mounted....the box will be smaller than a box of cigarettes, it certainly can be made as small as a match box if my soldering skills can handle it.

Since the cable comes out through the plastic junction between the two shell halves, it can easily go either right or left, but there are no easy mounting points on either side...since one side houses the LCD which is movable, and the other is the handle....any ideas?

Juan
Old February 29th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #126
Trustee

You could mount an extra box on the bottom, like the beachtech XLR adapters for the GL1, etc. That shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to add a tripod mount to the bottom of your device so that can mesh nicely with a tripod.
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #127
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestion, that makes things a whole lot easier. I was afraid I was going to have to route the ribbon cable somewhere else, but i didn't think about remounting the tripod on the bottom of the box.

Another question...i'm thinking about the interface part, and after doing some bandwidth tests i've come to possibilities.

1.The camera can have a Firewire 800 link to a desktop for recording. This is assuming you have a decent FW800 card and a fast hard drive. This approach could also be programmed to recognize a FW800 hard drive when attached directly, but is more complex than approach 2.

2.Mount an SATA drive directly on the camcorder. The drive would have to be removed and plugged into a computer to get the data off. With the highest quality data, a 160GB hard disk will give you 66 minutes. Of course, a possible problem would be powering a full size drive, so a smaller notebook drive might be the solution...i DO know that the new desktop drives can easily handle the bandwidth.

Juan
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Approach 1 sure sound good.
A lot of flexibility:
You can connect to a desktop when in studio.
A lap-top (FW800 equiped) when on location.
And direct to a FW800 Drive when you don't have access to the above.
Can't ask for more, Why settle for less ?
Take Care
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #129
Trustee

I think that having a drive on the camera is a good thing..makes it easy to shoot with! if you could program some sorta of enclosure for capturing the data on the drive or a "box" that knows how to "talk" with the drive and capture from the camera
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM   #130
Regular Crew

Hi guys

If the hard drive is connected to the camera either way above i.e. number 1 or 2

How is record and stop going to function while recording and how are the files going to be named and created?

Thanks
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:48 AM   #131
Trustee

Approach 2 won't work in a practical sense for a couple reasons:

1) if you're in the field, you're stuck, because right now there aren't any SATA interfaces on laptops-at least there are firewire 800 cardbus cards, and the powerbooks have built-in firewire 800

2) You're basically going to have to pull apart a PC to mount those drives. Plus you'll probably have to add another SATA card to the PCI bus since most computers that have SATA are using the bus for the current drives.

So in a practical sense, you'd be much better off using firewire 800. What you could do is make a firewire800 to SATA bridge board (if they exist) that would let you mount the SATA drives, but connect to others via firewire 800.
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:50 AM   #132
Trustee

While approach 1 with programming to recognize a hard-drive when connected might be a bit more complicated, I think in the long-run it will pay off a lot more since it will be whole lot easier to use, and more practical in the field.
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:33 AM   #133
Regular Crew

Just to add my two cents to this discussion. What about noise and vibration that will be generated from having a drive that close to the camera. I think the lap top scenario is the best bet.
P.O. Box 42
Times Square Station
New York, NY 10108
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:43 AM   #134
Space Hipster

SATA will work. My year old Gigabyte MB has external SATA connectors and the new SATA version includes detailed SATA external drive specifications.

A number of SATA card with external ports are floating about and external SATA enclosures for existing IDE drives are available.
Old March 1st, 2004, 10:57 AM   #135
Tourist

firewire is the best option for me.

you can put any firewire storagedevice on it so it's more future adapt.

who knows when sata become's sata2 with a diverend protocol and/or conector

Michel
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods