DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Redrock, Brevis, SGPro Shootout (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/81526-redrock-brevis-sgpro-shootout.html)

Phil Bloom December 11th, 2006 02:12 PM

Redrock, Brevis, SGPro Shootout

1 Attachment(s)
It will take me a while to get this done properly but in the meantime here is something to wet your appetite!

Sam Jankis December 11th, 2006 06:14 PM

You've got my attention.

Chris Barcellos December 11th, 2006 07:04 PM

I'm waiting patiently too. Thanks for doing this Phil..

Dennis Wood December 11th, 2006 08:28 PM

Jeeps, the little B looks like the runt of the litter :-)

Ben Winter December 11th, 2006 10:18 PM

Haha...two are proudly angled upward, while the small one glances woefully away...

p.s. I never knew the M2 was that thick...is it seriously that big?

Devon Lyon December 11th, 2006 10:47 PM

Yes, very interested. What is the timeframe?

Phil Bloom December 12th, 2006 02:56 AM

Got a lot of nightshoots this week for the homeless doco, but hopefully by early next week I should have a decent comparison done.

The M2 is thicker than the SGPro but it doesn't have the extension tube. Although this doubles a very well thought through and usable hard mount.

Ryan Lindsey December 12th, 2006 06:49 AM

I don't know if I can wait!

Okay, I can, but I really don't want to!

Initially, I had my heart set on the M2. This was primarily due to the M2 stealing more headlines. Infact, I was unaware, till recently, these other comparable production models existed.

Now, I'd have to say I'm leaning heavily toward the Brevis. In short, the quality of all 3 seems to be comparable, but the low light capabilities and quick setup of the Brevis are a major plus for me.

I think visually, the M2 is the sexiest adapter out of the bunch and by far looks the most professional; especially with the matching FF.

I can't wait to read a comparison of all 3 together. I've read nearly every thread I can find on these adapters and, unfortunately, most people tend to praise whatever product they own.

Anyway, I keep checking this thread so much I figured I had to post something so next time I check I'll have something new to read.

Wayne Kinney December 12th, 2006 07:03 AM

Hi,
If you are looking for the lowest lightloss and ease of use, the Brevis is a good choice. One thing that I learnt on Sundays shootout was how easy the Brevis is to setup and use, since you dont need to adjust any rods support!

Dennis Wood December 12th, 2006 08:01 AM

I feel like I missed a party,there Wayne. It would have been great to play around with the adapters for an afternoon in a relaxed setting, have a beer or two and ruminate on adapter fodder. I'm kicking myself for not getting the latest/greatest enhancements (particularly CINEFUSE 3, and the new drive system) out to Phil in time for this ... It's like sending your kid to graduation dressed in sweat pants :-O

I've told Phil this a few times already, but his work his truly inspiring. Wayne, your efforts to continually improve the SG are something I can relate to, and reflect a genuine desire to provide shooters with the best possible product. Raising the standard for these things is good news for everyone using them.

Wayne Kinney December 12th, 2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
I feel like I missed a party,there Wayne. It would have been great to play around with the adapters for an afternoon in a relaxed setting, have a beer or two and ruminate on adapter fodder.

That would have been cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Wayne, your efforts to continually improve the SG are something I can relate to, and reflect a genuine desire to provide shooters with the best possible product. Raising the standard for these things is good news for everyone using them.

And its also alot of fun too :D

Bob Hart December 12th, 2006 08:51 AM

Dennis.

Please forgive my ignorance. I have failed to follow the mechaical owrkings of your adaptor. Does it have a moving GG?

What is the inner diameter of your tubular case?

If there are no fixed pattern artifacts in the Brevis image, it would be interesting to offer the Brevis unit up, minus the dioptre, to the flip enclosure of the Letus35 flip for XL or HD100 with the BCX condenser removed from the front of the Letus35 flip enclosure, if the Brevis has its own condenser elements.

Dennis Wood December 12th, 2006 02:38 PM

Bob, it is indeed a moving GG...now with adjustable amplitude. We actually have our own flip module coming shortly :-) The module will integrate with existing units, and is removable for use when max light gain is priority. It may have applications for other adapters too.

Steve Witt December 12th, 2006 03:19 PM

Phil, what camera(s) will you be conducting these comparisons with?

Phil Bloom December 12th, 2006 03:25 PM

I used an HVX 200 in 720p mode. It wasn't exactly scientific, more a real world comparison...

Chad Terpstra December 15th, 2006 06:06 PM

Too bad you didn't have a LetusHD100 on hand along with the camera... Oh, well can't have everything. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Donnie Wagner December 15th, 2006 09:04 PM

Frame Size?

What frame size does each of these adapters use? i.e.. full frame being 36X24mm, I remember some adapters have a smaller usable imaging area. Giving you a smaller FOV which is makes getting real wide angle more expensive; Kinda like digital SLR's their smaller sensors.

If these three all use a 36X24mm imaging area, then there is no issue. Just checking.

Sam Jankis December 15th, 2006 09:58 PM

I believe the Brevis has the largest frame size... and I don't know how the SGPro compares to the M2.

Wayne Kinney December 16th, 2006 04:37 AM

The SGpro uses 36x24 for still SLR lenses.

Phil Bloom December 16th, 2006 02:41 PM

been looking through the footage, thank god we did a verbal marker on them. very similar!!

just got the new Brevis nikon mount from Dennis. It's very very good. Much better. It's of similar quality to the Redrock one, which is one very solid piece of work.

Mike Schrengohst December 16th, 2006 03:03 PM

"I used an HVX 200 in 720p mode. It wasn't exactly scientific, more a real world comparison..."

Thats what shooters need to see.

Dennis Wood December 17th, 2006 11:04 PM

Technically, assuming a fast high quality lens, we can squeeze a wider frame in a 16:9 format than the actual SLR film shot (36mm). It makes sense if you consider the image cone, and overlay a 4:3 frame and then a 16:9 frame. We've pretty much focused (no pun intended) on 16:9 and HD from the get-go.

There is a risk of edge softness pushing the image cone like this, however, overscan and basic composition basically leave these as bokeh areas...so you can get away with it.

Phil, I think everyone will be much happier with the new Nikon mounts. The manufacturer does solid work and will be helping out with some other projects in the wings :-)

Phil Bloom December 18th, 2006 07:35 AM

I will have this up by the weekend if all goes well

Wayne Kinney December 18th, 2006 07:55 AM

Phil,
Looking forward to the write up.

Dominic Jones December 18th, 2006 03:14 PM

Hi Wayne,

Sorry, this is totally off-topic, but:

I've been singing the praises of 35mm adapters (not to mention demonstrating our rig) around these Brighton parts for a while now, and get a fair few cameramen asking where they can get hold of systems - I've been putting them all onto Redrock, as that's where I got mine, but since shooting a lot with the SGPro recently (with Ben Cole, who I think got his directly from you) I can quite happily say it's an excellent adapter - Ben's very happy with it, btw!

So, if you fancy getting me some contact details I'll pass them onto to any interested parties, as with the shipping and import duty on top the Redrock gets quite steep - plus, it's always nice to shop locally!...

Cheers mate,
Maybe catch you around town someday!

Dom.

Wayne Kinney December 18th, 2006 03:35 PM

Dominic,

I think this is the first post I have seen from another Brightarian ;)

Im glad you like the SGpro unit.

Dominic Jones December 18th, 2006 03:58 PM

Lol, yup not many of us here!

I have to say, when Ben told me he was buying his adapter from "some bloke called Wayne in Brighton", I was a little skeptical!! Then I was drifting around here and suddenly put 2+2 together - I never expected to find that one of the main contributors here was just around the corner!

Have a great xmas mate...

Ryan Lindsey December 18th, 2006 07:43 PM

Thanks!

Wayne and Dennis,

Kudos to you both for being so active in the forums. I can't tell you how cool it is to be able to comunicate directly with the men behind the machines. I look forward to owning one soon.

Phil,

I appreciate the work you're doing with these adapters. I know many of us are looking forward to your findings.

Thanks.

Mike Connolly December 19th, 2006 06:44 PM

Wayne, I never read your signature details.

Put me down as a third Brighton-arian, as I've just moved down from Streatham Hill with my family and 2 HVX's, and have my beady eye on either a Brevis or SGPro in the new year. I'd love to see an SGPro in the flesh?

Have a happy Chrimbo.

mike.c

Jamon Lewis December 19th, 2006 08:42 PM

Any plans for the SGpro or Brevis for the HD100? I'll be in London for xmas and New Years...

Dennis Wood December 19th, 2006 10:39 PM

Jamon, we do have plans for an HD100 relay, but it's behind our new mattebox, flip module and follow focus in priority...so we should see it around Spring :-)

It's great you Brighton guys are hooking up! And Wayne, if you're anything like me, you probably need some social excursions right about now :-) I'm meeting with some local film chaps tomorrow which will be likely our first official adapter used locally, other than mine. These guys get a sneak peak at the dolly and crane projects too. One of the nice consequences of the Cinevate project is that I've had a chance to meet (and more every week) some of the local talents with great passion for film making. Wayne, I'm sure you're seeing the same over there.

Wayne Kinney December 20th, 2006 05:23 AM

Mike,

I would be happy for you to come and take a look.

Dennis,

Yeah its true, i've met a few talented people throught this project, interesting stuff.

Happy holidays to everyone!!

Dominic Jones December 20th, 2006 09:24 AM

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Brighton mate - hope you're enjoying it?! Just make sure you don't get struck down with Brightonitis - i.e. sitting around smoking and drinking and not doing any work!!

Whilst we're on the subject of checking out kit, I wonder if I could be cheeky enough to ask if I could check out one of your HVX's for a couple of hours sometime after the NY? I'm slated to shoot a low-budget action feature next year, and I'm wanting to look at my options for variable frame-rate HD - be a lot easier/more pleasant to check out a camera here than heading up to London, and there'll be a couple of beers in it for you (and maybe a week or two's rental in the summer, if you're interested)!...

Have a great xmas and NY guys - here's to Brighton!

Wayne Kinney December 20th, 2006 09:54 AM

Brighton Rules!!! OK, i'll shut up ;)

Jamon Lewis December 20th, 2006 11:45 AM

SGpro for HD100 Wayne?

Wayne Kinney December 20th, 2006 11:56 AM

Jamon,

The SGpro has been tested with the HD100 and works like a charm. The stock fujinion lens needs to be used.

Jamon Lewis December 20th, 2006 04:31 PM

Thanks Wayne, no flip though rite? Any plans for a relay for the HD100 or i should look for a relay separate from somewhere else?

Wayne Kinney December 20th, 2006 05:30 PM

No flip or relay, Jamon

Mike Connolly December 20th, 2006 07:46 PM

Thanks Wayne, I'll take you up on that in the new year, and Dominic, I'm sure we can come up with a deal then too. I'm in Germany with the inlaws untill the 6th Jan.

Contact me by email:
mcon@electricpig.net in Jan, and we'll meet for a beer.

I tell you what, there's so many pubs around me in Hannover that I don't think Britonitis will be long in settling in...

Dominic Jones December 21st, 2006 01:11 PM

Hanover eh?! Dangerous!... If you haven't found out already, btw, the Dover Castle does a mean Sunday roast!

I'm on a project until about the 9/10th Jan so I'll drop you a line after that - have a great time in Germany mate...