View Full Version : NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2007

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Elmer Lang
March 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'm working on my first HDV project in FCP 5.1.4 on a MBPro, 2.33 ghz, using photos and footage shot with an Canon HV10. When I render a photo (.psd) in the timeline the popup render window says "Conforming HDV Video." Why conform when it's just a photo? It also took longer than usual (NTSC).

I thought yesterday when I rendered it the first time I didn't get that window saying "Conforming..." and it only took as long as one would typically expect in an NTSC timeline.

The reason I was re-rendering was that, having keyed a zoom into the photo in FCP, after rendering the 'zoom in' it had an odd clunky distortion in the portion 'zoomed'. Is conforming at fault? Is HDV going to give problems using photos?

thanks,
elmer

Johan Forssblad
March 16th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Hi,
I have HDV-2 PAL material shot on a Canon XL H1 in 25F mode (16:9) and edited in FCP as 1080p25.

Now I need to send this to clients in US for playback in their DVD players with projectors.

Please could you recommend me a workflow to get a decent NTSC DVD copy. It does not have to be optimum quality. Better if it is cheap and perhaps possible to accomplish within FCP or Compressor in Final Cut Studio. It contains good big band music so it is important to retain the pitch.

Thankful if you have any ideas. Sorry if this is partly covered in other links already.

Chris Harris
March 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
My Mac Pro's performance seems to be decreasing. 2x2.66ghz, 2gb ram. It takes 22 seconds to boot from power on to the user screen, which is fine. But when you click on a user, any user, even a freshly created user, it takes close to 60 seconds for the hard drive to stop thrashing. This is troubling, since this is my editing machine. I need for it to be in the best shape possible, but the problem just seems to be getting worse. I have 2 hard drives, one is just for the OS and applications, the other is partitioned in 2, for video and other data. Does anybody know what the problem could be? Has anybody else had this problem? Maybe it's an Intel thing, because even an old 1.2ghz G4 eMac boots way faster than this. I'm lost here!

Bryan Hyde
March 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
so i just shot my first music video. it turned out great. i used a canon XL1, edited it into final cut pro 5, used some nattress and grading sweet plug ins to alter the look and then exported it as an uncompressed 10bit quicktime movie (i figure this way i have a high quality copy of it and i can compress later)

so then i tried compressing for web and it looks like crap.
i used compressor to try and compress for dvd and the dvd looks wobbly and disgusting when i play it.

what am i doing wrong?

what am i not doing?

i hear all about deinterlacing and maybe the XL1 at 60i should be converted to 24p or 29.97.

please help me out!

Jay Fisk
March 19th, 2007, 02:17 AM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17514

100% tapeless HD by 2010

Waldemar Winkler
March 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
My most recent project needs delivery on both DVD and MPEG 1.

What is the most efficient workflow from FCP to deliver a MPEG 1?

Johan Forssblad
March 21st, 2007, 02:22 AM
Hi, anybody out here who knows how to invert an audio channel?
I would like to try MS (Mid-Side) stereo recording on my XL H1.
I wonder if there is a way do decode the signal (simulate a matrix) in Final Cut Pro.
On channel 1 I have recorded the M (Mid) signal which is the mono signal from the cardioid microphone pointing forward.
On channel 2 I have recorded the S (side) signal from the figure 8 microphone pointing left-right to get the difference signal.

By adding M+S I will get the LEFT stereo channel.
By subtracting, M-S, I will get the RIGHT stereo channel.
Is is possible to subtract a channel in Final Cut Pro?
This could also be done by reversing the phase of the S channel and then add the M channel.
I havn't found a function for this but perhaps it is in the software already or there is a plug-in making it possible.

Of course this could be done in the mixer and by making some connections but I would like to stay inside the digital domain of Final Cut Pro if possible.

Thankful for any ideas! / Johan

Sam Bond
March 21st, 2007, 04:47 AM
I was wandering if it is possible to monitor a HDV timeline via the HDMI port With the Blackmagic Decklink HD Studio card. I have looked at getting the Blackmagic Intensity but it isnt supported by my PowerPC G5 so that isnt an option. If anyone can help or has any other ideas, i would be most greatful!

Robert Bobson
March 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
I have an external Maxtor HD that crashed a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to see if I could salvage the info.

I didn't hear any grinding - and I could hear the drive spinning. My computer just couldn't see it.

I learned online that an external HD is just an internal HD in a case with some additional interfacing electronics, and that the problem might be with these "interfacing electronics".

So I bought a new empty case, switched the old drive over and voila, my drive's working again!

20 gig of info I was ready to pitch in the trash.

I had looked for an empty case at a local "custom built" computer store, and the guy told me that "if my old computer couldn't even see the drive, the drive was beyond saving - BUT that for a fee, they could TRY to extract the info for me."

So I don't know if I was just lucky - or if this might work for you, too.

Cal Bickford
March 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
okay so I'm in the process of learning about fcp right now and i have a question regarding the best way to edit hdv and output to a hd-dvd or blue-ray dvd. The cam (A1) outputs hdv in a YUV colorspace right? But if its going to be displaye on a hd lcd monitor/projector is it better to select the "always render in rgb" option in the sequence preset editor? Any help appreciated!

Elmer Lang
March 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
I've been reading posts but still have some questions.

I want to export my 16:9 project out of Final Cut Pro to Compressor.
As suggested for use elsewhere, Compressor's QT7 (fast download) H.264 LAN option gives me this, I changed the size to 640x360 (16:9):

Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 640
Height: 360
Pixel aspect ratio: 0.75
Frame rate: 29.97
Frame Controls: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Key frame interval: 15

This is different from Youtube's recommended specs (320x240, MP3, 30fps, MPEG4).

Should I strictly adhere to their specs OR:

Will the greater size (640x360) yield a better looking vid after they recompress?

Do they really want 4:3 even if the movie is 16x9?

They say 30fps. Is 29.97 not close enough?

On the next to last tab (Geometry) I changed the "Pixel aspect ratio" to HDV 1080i (16:9) and the "Constrain to display aspect" to 16:9. Wrong move both times?

MP3 is not an option in the H.264 LAN choice. Is AAC @ 48khz good enough or what is best?

Hope this post is not too convoluted but I'd appreciate some comments.

thanks
elmer

Ryan P. Green
March 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hey all. I've got a couple of editing stations at my college's TV station, and they're all set up essentially identically (different screen sizes, but essentially the same). They all have Sony DSR-1500A's as decks, running FCP 5.1.4. Normally we can view audio and video from the deck as it is playing out in FCP, along with Print to Tape. However, on our main machine we can only sometimes view video, specifically when there isn't any tape in the deck, and there is never any audio.

Also, yes I have ensured that my Audio/Video settings are set properly, and that "all frames" is set.

Larry Vaughn
March 23rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
An hdv tape shot in Canon XH-A1 HDV 60i format was loaded into a lapmac with FCP. The quick time files were then burned to dvd. When transferred to another mac, they can't be viewed with I-Movie or the latest version of quick time.

Also, widescreen still frame j-pegs from the same tape via FCP look squished when viewed in another program.

They do look fine in FCP on the original laptop.

Ideas?

Sharon Pieczenik
March 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
So, I shot on my JVC GYHD110U in 24fps HDV. I made it a m2t file through DVHSCap - then a quicktime file in MPEGStreamclip. I imported the quicktime movie file into FCP. I made a sequence that was HDV 24p. I did Apple+Zero to make sure everything about my sequence matched its compression and frame rates.

All is good (aka video and audio is there) BUT the audio is a slight bit off. I think it might be ahead of the video. Any ideas what went wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Sharon

Joe Goldsberry
March 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Hey,

I just edited a 1080i video using FCP 5.1.4 using the Apple AIC codec. I exported to Compressor using SD 16x9 Best settings (letterbox). The SD DVD's video is jaggy. Is it a field order issue or should I deinterlace.

Funny, I used the same settings when I did 720p and the DVD looked great.

Thanks,
Joe

Ryan Flesher
March 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I need some advice. I am shooting a documentary with a Canon xh-A1 using the 24f setting. I have captured 20 hours of footage and have a nice 24p HDV timeline that flies on my Dual Mac.
I just bought the Canon HV20 and am using it as a 'POV' camera. I have found that you can't capture the 24p footage the HV20 shoots onto a 24p timeline (it captures as 60i only).
What would be the best solution for me?
1) Shoot as 60i and then convert it to 24p using Magic bullet? ($$$)
2) Shoot as 24p and remove the pulldown using Cinema Tools? (If I do this, will it then be able to edit right into a 24p timeline?)
3) Wait for A FCP update (6.0?) that hopefully will remove the 24p pulldown on the fly when capturing?
Thanks for any help.
Ryan

Martin Saxer
March 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I can‘t test it out as I presently have no HDV camera at hand: Is the time and date information preserved when captured as HDV in FCP? If not, is there a way to preserve the original date and time stamp?

Martin

Mathew Jones
March 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for feedback from people who are shooting 30p with the V1U, cutting (in FCP or Avid), and outputting to tape -- do you have a workflow that you're happy with? If so, do you mind sharing it and the config of your edit system?

Thanks for the help,
MJ

Steve Whitlow
April 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Ok, I've got 2 hours of video that I shot with an HC5 (borrowed for the weekend) and I only have iMovieHD to work with it. The laptop is a MacBook Pro Dual Core (2.13) with 2GB of ram.

When I try to export the video using expert settings, most of the options I come up with look terrible. What would be a good method to simply take the clips I want and export so that I can view the files on my Mac (mp4? mov?) at native resolution?

Scott Di Lalla
April 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Hey Everyone,
I've still got some tech questions coming up as we begin editing our new feature brit bike doc "Brittown". Here goes...

We shot the entire project on our XL2 in 24pA anamorphic and then mistakenly captured footage for our first teaser in 24p Standard and edited it in a 29.97 timeline and output to Quicktime and then Flash... jeez Louise... The Flash is just for the web, but thankfully it alerted us to the problems before we captured for the full edit... (see teaser here) (http://www.brittown.com/swfobject1-5/brittown%20teaser%20large.html)

1. If I captured some footage in 24p standard, do I need to recature the footage in 24pA or is there a way to convert the files we already catured?

2. I read that editing in a 24p timeline and ending up with a 24p NTSC DVD can look much better than a 24p project edited and finished to a 29.97NTSC DVD; do people agree with this assessment?

2b. Also, we sell about half of our DVDs overseas and thus far have had no problem with the international DVD players and TVs playing our 29.97 NTSC discs...will the players still be OK playing 24p NTSC discs?

Thanks and happy Monday...

Jeff Nelson
April 3rd, 2007, 11:35 AM
I made an important discovery -- if you have your BNC cable plugged into the Composite OUT plug, it's going to do funky things! So I corrected, and plugged into the Composite IN plug in the Sony...and it's an entirely different picture!

Operator error!

Matthew Rogers
April 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM
So I have a bunch of shots of food that I did today that I am trying to work with in After Effects. I captured the clips with DVHS, transcoded to Sheer video with MPEGStremclip, and then conformed the 30P files to 23.98 in cinema tools. The only problem is when I conform them to 23.98, they drop in resolution. Therefore, when I bring them into After Effects, they are 480P sized, not 720P. If I don't run them through cinema tools, then rez is fine. I've also checked to make sure it's not the Sheer codec that's the problem. I'm starting to think the problem is with AE since when I open the conformed files in QT player, they are the correct size.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Matthew Rogers

Roberto Bellini
April 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Okay two questions: (I use Final Cut 5.1.4 and a Can on XH-A1)

- I recently tried to log and capture a tape of HDV 108024p using the on camera downconvert, thinking I would edit the sd offline and then reconnect by batch capturing from the HDV with native compression. To do this I simply told Final Cut to take the clips offline, exported the batch list into a clean project with all the capture settings set to 108024p HDV.
Turns out it didn't work... for some reason Final Cut acts very irrational with the timecode. Is this simply not possible? Or am I doing something wrong!?

-Another problem I have had is capturing this same 108024p HDV footage while doing the realtime AIC conversion... The clips show up as 29.97fps and with audio out of sync. Any Ideas? FCP won't let me edit the capture preset to change the framerate...

I would appreciate any help!!

Steven Galvano
April 5th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Just loaded FCP v5.1 -- I was surprised not to see a Sequence Setting for HDV 1080p30.
What preset do I use for 30f footage shot with a a1?

Joe Main
April 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Anyon know of any books or tutorials on Compressor? I bought the apple pro training series book but was wondering if there was anything else out there that went in-depth into the different features and what they all mean and do. Thanks!

Matt Hagest
April 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
So i have my MBP 2.16 with 1gb ram.. I am capturing with a canon gl2. So i figured out that i can only capture video with the gl2 plugged in to the fw400 slot without my fw800 external drive plugged in the the MBP. Which sux for capturing video, cause i have to unplug my drives to capture.

But my new prob is, when i capture, the video in FCP is really choppy vs. what i can see on the camera where all the footage is smooth. When i capture a clip, and watch it ont he MBP its smooth. Last night i did a batch capture and i kept getting a error saying my audio wasnt sync with the video and the capture had an error, and i would have to recapture the clip. which when recapturing it was fine. what i want to fix is why is the video play back on the MBP so choppy. when i used to capture in vegas i had no prob, i could just watch the footage on my pc and it was smooth no prob.

I did easy set up in FCP. Im begining to think that there is a prob with my fw ports or something.. anyways thanks for everyones help in this matter.

Barry Gribble
April 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Hey all,

I have a lot of tapes to capture, so typically as I am leaving the office I start a tape playing in my XH-A1 and start the video capturing so that when I come in the next day I have a tape done.

When I am there for the capturing, the tape ends and I get a pop-up dialog that tells me the tape has ended. I say ok, I close the capture window, and I go about looking at the footage.

When I do it over night, however, most of the time I get the dialog that says the tape is done, I click OK, and the I can't close the capture window. When I try it just beeps at me. I can access the main program to save, but the capture window is still on top. Eventually I have to kill the entire FCP process to get out of it, and then run it again.

This is a true pain, and I can't for the life of me think what might be causing it.

Any input?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon Katcher
April 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I am currently trying to capture about 35 tapes of 24pA 16x9 footage I shot with a Canon XL2, and I want to make sure I have FCP settings right.

For Sequence Presets, I am using DV NTSC 48 kHz - 23.98 and I checked the box for anamorphic 16:9

For Capture Presets, I am using DV NTSC 48 kHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal, again with 16:9 checked.

For Device Control, I am just using Firewire NTSC. I am capturing from a cheap miniDV camera.

When I put the captured clips in the timeline, I have to render everything. Is that right?

Also, out of curiosity, how does everyone capture their tapes. I just capture the whole tape in one pass, then break it down in subclips later. Any problem with this method?

Thanks,
Brandon

Tom Reid
April 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM
We have a dual G5 with 4.5Gig RAM running Final Cut 5.1.4. We shoot in Panasonic P2 and edit usually with 30PN material. Video playback is set to Digital Cenema Desktop Preview. That way we have our editing window on the left and our program on the right LCD. We purchased the studio card so that we could monitor component analog on our Sony Multiformat CRT. However, we have not been able to figure out how to set this up. The only time it works correctly is when we us the Synthetic Aperture color correction filter. in SA, you can tell it to use both LCD and CRT monitors. It looks and works great. However, we want to view the Right LCD and the CRT at the same time in FCP since we output our programs for our client's use on both. Can anyone shed light on how to set this up and any other suggestions/tips with DeckLink Stuido for Panasonic P2 24PN and 30PN usage. Thanks so much in advance.

Kevin James
April 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
With the release of FCS2 I am preparing to transition to the mac platform for my NLE.

My big decision is 4 or 8 cores.

After reading this article:
http://www.barefeats.com/octopro1.html

-I have come to the conclusion I need to hear from real world users how the 8 and Quad perform as far as real time rendering in Motion and FCP.

I'd be especially interested to hear rendering times on HDV to mpeg2 or equivalent with some filters, etc.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!

-Kevin

Ronald Wilk
April 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hi:

What is the general consenus on Apple's latest OS (10.4.9) release when applied to a PowerMac G5 dual. Specifically, for those of you who have accomplished this update,have you experienced any problems with FCP 5.1.4 and or Shake 4.1?

Thank you in advance,
Ron

Khaled Lowe
April 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hi there,

I'm totally at a loss here! Does anybody know how to use custom gradients (alpha gradients) in photoshop and export them into FCP to composite with video footage?

I basically need to make a sequence where some of the frame is in focus, and some of the frame is blurred, i.e. the illusion of a shallow depth of field but done in post production?

Kinda like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuuq47hYn1Y

Thank you kindly in advance!!

Katie Mims
April 17th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to create a filter or effect (or find one) that looks similar to the TV noise you get when you aren't getting good reception on an old cable TV. It's for a promo video that I'm working on, and I'm trying to get the clip segments to come in and out, with the TV noise as a transition.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I looked at some of the filters in FCP, and they didn't quite accomplish what I wanted.

Eino Lehtinen
April 19th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Could anyone give some kind of advice on how to compress my hdv project in fce hd. I've tried several settings so far, but i can not seem to find a good compromise on quality vs. file size..? I definetely want the video quality to be as good as it can be, without the file size of 600mb++ :)

Any tips, suggestions, links?

I have used the apple h.264 codec for my testing so far.

Nate Benson
April 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm working on a project right now and I've got a punch of mpeg files that work fine in quicktime, and when I import them into FCP5.1 they don't have any audio.

Any suggestions how to clear this up?
Thanks

Martin Labelle
April 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM
hello
I have recorded sequence in quick time pro from my sony a1u at the native setting.I am not able to import that sequence in fcp.
thank you.

Ryan Flesher
April 22nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
I have a large project captured as HDV. I want to view and mark some stuff on my Macbook so i want to downrez to a lower resolution, and use markers to make subclips of the captured footage. If I do this, how do I bring these files back to HDV with all the new markers and subclips.
I am sure it is easy in media manager but I haven't done it.
Thanks,
Ryan
fcp studio 5.1.4

Ryan Lester
April 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Man, my FCP is really playing up latley.....................

I've been capturing clips with some problems latley. The most current one that i cannot figure out is a doozey!

The audio is not lining up with the footage. It's about 5 seconds off. WTF?

I can't understand why either.

Does anybody have any clues? Has anybody every had a similar problem?

the "Sync audio capture to video source" has been ticked off in settings too.....just doesn't make sense.

Timothy Harry
April 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I do many photo montage slideshows, as well as edit DVCPROHD on a somewhat regular basis. I still do a ton of standard DV as well. I need the ability to import from an analog source for the slideshows. I would like the ability to plug an analog source like that into something like a KONA card and capture away. I will also need the ability to go out to a HD moniter like the BTLH1700. My real question is with the new prores codec, and FCP6, what card do i need to be able to do pro res along with all the analong inputs?

The system this will be loaded on will be a mac pro provided my financing comes through.

THanks for the help!

Michael P Frederick
April 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I'm looking to invest in a new Mac Pro to run Final Cut Studio on. I'm wondering what type of set up anyone else has. I shoot with a Panasonic HVX so I need to be able to monitor HD footage- I'm currently thinking about getting two 23" HD monitors running the second one of a Matrox MXO to use to monitor the footage. Anyone have any advice? I'd like to be able to hook up a nice large LCD or Plasma HD TV to my computer as well, but I don't know what type of adaptor or video card I would need for that. Thanks in advance,

Trish Kerr
April 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Not sure if this is the right section to ask this but I'm hoping. I'm just finally starting to grasp the A1 camera manual settings. Now I'm starting to grapple with the software side of things.

I have my macbookpro calibrated to LCD with gamma 1.8. I know the PC is 2.2 and I have a setting for that as well (darker). In FCP I've got the video playback set to digital cinema desktop preview. I'm finding so far that the footage that looks good on the mac, when viewed on a pc is much darker. A common problem from what I've read.

Yet the footage on the mac actually closer resembles what I'm seeing on my Samsung LCD HDTV - setting on dynamic, though I am attempting to finalize a calibrated version. It also is closer to what I'm seeing when shooting the actual video, and for exposure setting with the lightmeter, also closer. ie if it's looking properly exposed with the meter, it looks closer to the mac.

So if you are planning to output both web and eventually DVD which would be the best to actually edit in. A gamma closer to PC or mac?

I opened an apple trailer in both the toshiba laptop and the macbook and while the colors were slightly different there was no huge darkness difference. Possibly the software detects platforms and adjusts according, not sure.

Has anybody found a workaround for this? What do most mac owners calibrate their monitors to?

I don't have a broadcast monitor to properly test footage yet, will probably stick with the FCP emulated for now but I am getting a second LCD monitor soon that I'll use with the macbook.

I output short test files in both WMV and MOV.

here is sample footage of lionmonkeys I was using to test.

http://www.northwitchproductions.com/hdvsamples/lionmonkeytest.wmv

They look very orange but actually are quite vibrant looking. On my mac very little detail is lost of the hair. But on the PC they are dark and red saturated. At least on the toshiba.

Trish

Steve Yager
April 28th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I was having trouble getting FCP to capture my XH-A1 1080P24f footage. I realized that I had the "HD downconvert" option ON. I took the firewire cable out so I could access this option (its grayed out when the cable is in) and turned it off. Ever since then, I've been able to capture my footage. Hope this helps someone.

Aram Rian
April 29th, 2007, 01:02 AM
hello.
i need the n-square look in my video, i.e. multiple "cells" with different footages in each one of them. is there any technique in FCE for creating a default "table" with a desired number of "cells" and "rows", so that i could drag and drop various scenes into those?
thanks.

Doug Krejci
April 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I recently purchased a Lacie Sata II 3Gb/s PCI-Express Card 4E with a Biggest S2S 2.5 TB drive for my 8-core Mac Pro to do HDV in FCP with. Yes, I've heard the rumors on Lacie, but it was what I could fit in my budget. I was actually quite surprised by the enclosure, drives, controller, and the all in one-package when I got it. Very-un-Lacie like. However . . .

I have one problem with it - it either jams up the computer on restart, start-up or shut-down, or is not recognized. I find I have to be patient and let the drive go through its paces (multiple pings) on start-up and on shut-down be patient as well.

I narrowed down my problems to the card itself. Its updated with the latest and greatest drivers and firmware, but I'm still finding that sometimes in order for the drive to be seen after start-up I need to re-install the card driver (this does not require a re-boot) and soon the drive icon is back on the desktop with no loss of data. Also, without the card installed, start-up and shut-downs take half as long. All of this hand-holding just doesn't seem right.

Are there any known solutions for these issues? Lacie doesn't think its their drivers or firmware (they actually blamed the Mac OS and suggested finding something in the Mac system preferences to shut the drive off on start-up or shut down (Apple says these don't exist. . . HA!), but they haven't tested the card on a Mac with these processors yet. One option is to return it and see if a 2nd Sata Card and S2S wouldn't do the same things, but I would hate to lose all of that production time.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug

Brandon Katcher
May 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have recieved a project from another editor, who for some reason captured 4 tapes, Put them into a sequence, exported a 36GB DV clip (2 Hours 50 minutes) and used that to edit a rough cut.

I recieved the project with everything referring to this file. I am nervous about continuing the edit with this clip and no hard copy on tape I can go back to if it gets corrupted. (or if I want to use media manager later).

Is there any way to get this clip onto multiple dv/minidv tapes while keeping the timecode so if the clip dissapeared, Final cut could recapture from the tapes to reconnect them?

Thank you for any help,
Brandon Katcher

Neil Rostance
May 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
I'm urgently in need of some help with something!

I shot a screen test in HDV 50p last week for a shoot that is happening tomorrow.

Captured with HDVxDV to an .m2t and then exported as Quicktime with Apple Intermediate codec. My output Is HDV 720p, Non-Drop Frame, Upper Field Dominance. (I think there could be something i'm doing wrong there)

The new QT Movies play at 50fps in quicktime player, and also when imported into FCP 5.1.2 it plays at 50fps also.

But here's where it gets tricky....

If i right click on the clip in FCP and look at the format. It says 25fps. There's no stage in the process where 25fps was introduced and i don't know how it is like this....

But it does mean now that any sequence or multiclip sequence treats it as 25fps. Making it useless at 50% Speed.

Does anybody know where i could be possibly going wrong????

My whole shoot depends on 50fps tomorrow and i really don't want to have a niggling feeling knowing it might not work in the edit.

Can anybody help!??

Katie Mims
May 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a project that currently mixes regular DV 60i footage with 24pA HD footage that I shot on a Sony HVR-V1U.

I followed this method to capture the footage: http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/camcorders/FCP_24P_HVRV1U.htm

I edited everything together on the same timeline, following the instructions above.

The regular DV 60i footage is only short clips in the intro, and then small clips in three other areas of the 2 1/2 minute video. To get them to look right as I was editing, I simply stretched them on the canvas to match the 1080 HD sizing.

My questions are:

1) When I export as a QT Movie, does it matter if it is self-contained or not?

2) Should I only export the parts of the project that need to be reverse-telecinied, and then put everything back together on the new timeline, or should I do it all together, even though the 60i footage doesn't need to be reverse-telecinied?

3) Is there an easier way to capture/edit footage shot with the HVR-V1U in 24p? Also, should I be shooting in 24pA or 24p? Most of the footage I've shot so far is in 24pA

4) What is the proper way to output this to a DVD so that it maintains the HD quality and proper frame rate?

Paul Picklesimer
May 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hi there,
I read that if I upload videos to YouTube using Flash 7's Sorenson Spark Codec, YouTube will not recompress. This sounds great to me, but I can't seem to find where to get Sorenson Spark 7. Also, I'm editting on FCP, will this matter? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Ong Wan Shu
May 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
hi all,

I am trying to make some FLV files to make into a flash video.

i am using quick time pro FLV exporter and FCP 5 for my editing. and the camera footages are from panasonic GS500 PAL version.

My issue is in the FLV export options there is this table that allows me to resize. at the first look, it says the longest side is 338pixels at 100% of the footage. my flash stage is 550 x 500 pixels, so i thought its fine. I DID NOT resize, but after i make into a FLV file and import into flash, the footage is bigger than my stage! i would say easily 800 pixels on the longest side.

why is this so? is this a bug?

David Avedikian
May 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I recently had to upgrade from FCE 3.0 to 3.5 due to the conflict with the latest OSX update. Now when I create a slideshow with keyframes, about 30% of the photos are "jumpy" when rendered. I never had this problem with the older FCE and I'm not doing anything different. Any one else experienced this?